Whatsapp information on this?

Have not used Whatsapp before yesterday to text a pic.  Worked great, when a text did not go through.  Don't know anything about the app, but it seems to be used a lot in DR.  I presently have the Verizon International Plan at over $100 per month, so tell me about Whatsapp, please.  Do both phones need the app to work??  Thanks in advance.

Yes, both phones need to have app and the person you are calling or texting needs to have accepted you as a valid contact. WhatsApp is very popular all over Latin America. It works very well.

Its used extensively here!

or you can use revolution to call anyone, very cheap rates
i call my friend in dr and it costs 1.5 cent per min, another optionif people doen' t use whatsup

You can use with wifi

In most of the world, data is pretty cheap and many (possibly most?)  plans include little to no free texts/SMS. WhatsApp provides a solution that uses wifi or data rather than counting as a text message. Very different than the typical US plan with unlimited texting!

On my DR phone number, I think the only true text messages I receive are from Claro, my provider!

Yes I have used what app overseas in central america south America and Southeast Asia If I have WiFi connection I used the internet. Do you know where all the Us citizen hang out

Not sure where expats hang out, but I am new to Cabarete, and just bought two condos in East Cabarete, and coming down Aug.1 thru 15 to stay in one of them.  Come have a beer if any of you are around.

go on youtube and type "whatsapp cheats and tricks" and you will learn how perfect this is and yes both need it to work but when you enter there phone number it tells you if they are or not.

Where expats hang out depends what area of the country you are talking about!

Just to add, you must have the phone number you are calling in your contact list.  You can use any wifi connection  (or your data plan) to call anyone world wide using whatsapp providing they also have it.  It's a great 1 shop stop for text, voice, video,pictures, documents and more...I personally can't function without it.

Agreed, I do  soooo  much with my whatsapp that my plan minutes roll over every single month!  I dont call anyone it seems I whatsapp them.

I've recently discovered the web app for WhatsApp! I love it if I'm working and don't want to keep picking up my phone to answer messages, as well as for attachments! So easy to send docs on my laptop without having to get them to my phone first!

Yes  I use it too!   I  run two whatsapp numbers on my phone but can only do one at a time on my desktop.  I need a hack for that!  LOL

Multiple browsers! Or if you use Chrome, open one in Incógnito mode!

You can even run Whatsapp for web on your tablet, if you run the tab in "Desktop Mode".

Also if you want an alternative you can use 'telegram'

Telegram is much better in my opinion, as WhatsApp is owned by FB and everything you do on it is automatically shared with the FB marketeers.  However, hardly anyone I have ran into in LatAm or the Caribbean uses anything but WhatsApp.  Heck, most govt officials across the region use WhatsApp as their secure comms.  So...in the DR WhatsApp is really very handy.

sailormarine wrote:

Telegram is much better in my opinion, as WhatsApp is owned by FB and everything you do on it is automatically shared with the FB marketeers.  However, hardly anyone I have ran into in LatAm or the Caribbean uses anything but WhatsApp.  Heck, most govt officials across the region use WhatsApp as their secure comms.  So...in the DR WhatsApp is really very handy.

Not correct-each message on whatsapp is end-to-end encrypted.

You need to read FB's announcement...this started in Feb. Yes it is encrypted, but FB publically announced that it would be sharing data with FB.  FB now owns the service...and the encryption.

I used WhatsApp to call, text all my friends and family all over the world for free!!.. Works excellent to be use for free

planner wrote:

Yes  I use it too!   I  run two whatsapp numbers on my phone but can only do one at a time on my desktop.  I need a hack for that!  LOL

Omg!  How do you run more than one Whatsapp number on one phone?

My phone has two chips honey!