Looking to Get True Barcelona Experience... Any suggestions?

Hello to everyone.  My wife and I visited Barcelona last year for only a few days and totally enjoyed everything we experienced, from the diversity of the people and the local cultures, to the wonderful street scene everywhere we went.  So, we're coming back for an extended 35 day stay this November to see what it might be like to actually live there. We've been reading about and jealously seeing all these wonderful activities by one of Barcelona's large meet-up groups, and are hoping that there will be similar type activities that we can participate in when we are actually in town.  My question is this, what adventures and half day or overnight trips do locals recommend for a middle aged couple who wants to immerse themselves in not only wonderful Barcelona but some of the nearby outdoor amenities and wonderful areas of nearby Spain. We are so looking forward to this trip and perhaps making Barcelona our retirement home.  Hope to meet someone who has relocated in the near future. Write back and ask any questions that you might have for us.

Hi markmaz,

Welcome to expalt-blog!

Wishing you a pleasant stay, :)

David.

Thank you so much David.

Hi Mark,

I just spent 3 months in Spain (after 3œ years in Buenos Aires), and am planning to live/retire in Madrid or Valencia.  I spent a week in Barcelona and am a fellow middle-aged ex-Atlanta resident.  Within the city of Barcelona, if you haven't already done so, I recommend 3 things: take some city/country bicycle and walking tours (a MUST); visit La Pedrera; and take the funicular up to Tibidabo.  As for getting out of the city, I recommend a day-trip up to Girona and/or Figueres,  and a weekend trip down to Valencia and Alicante and possibly up to Perpignan France.  You can take a bus or train, and definitely look into the retiree discounts for ages 60+ (40% discounts on Renfe on certain days!). 

As for retirement, for me personally I love Barcelona to visit, but would prefer Valencia (or Madrid or Seville) to live.  In Valencia (where I stayed 6 weeks), try to stay in/near Ruzafa/Russafa or Ensanche/Eixample barrios.  To visit Alicante, take a bus to Denia or Benidorm and then hop on the (hourly) cute tram/train all the way down the coast to Alicante--it's a wonderful ride, and there are fast trains (and planes) back to Valencia/Barcelona.  Enjoy!

Jim

Don't forget to visit Tarragona and on the way you can stop in at Vilanova i la Geltru!
Ros

Thank you both JayKayTee and rosbently.  That is exactly the kind of suggestions I was looking for.  I have some time to do a little research on planning a trip to some of those places you mentioned and will definitely try to see those places.  Mucho gracias.

For about ten years over the turn of the century I was regularly travelling by road between the UK and Mallorca using the ferry to and from Barcelona. We always had time to explore the area around the seaward end of the famous Rambla where we sampled several excellent restaurants but eventually kept returning to the restaurant in the Maritime Museum as far and away the best value for money in the area.
The museum itself is also a fascinating place to see exhibits ranging from an ancient war-galley to early submarines and watch craftsmen carrying out restoration work.
For a visitor from the USA with an interest in maritime history I would suggest looking up the records of early developments in submarine technology in the States and see they blend with what was happening in Spain. There is also an early submarine on display on the dockside in Cartagena on the mainland.
Markmaz I expect you are aware that the South had at least one submarine operating successfully during the civil war.

Hi Mark,
I an official tour-guide from Barcelona. There are looots to see and to enjoy in the cityand its outskirts. For a day trip I highly recommend Montserrat mountains, a visi to the cava cellars of Codorniu (in Penedés), Sitges, and a weekend in Costa Brava: Calella de Palafruguell where you can walk along the coast line following what is know "passeig the ronda".
In the city there are lots to recommend, it very much depends on your interests, so please get in touch with me and I tell you where to go and where to eat.

You will love Barcelona, I'm positive.
Best regards
Maica

Hi Maica > just to remind you that free advertisement is not allowed on the forum. I suggest you to register your company in the business directory.

Thank you for your comprehension.
Christine - Expat.com team

[sorry for the off topic]

hi friends:
My name is Maya and I am live in barcelona. I can help you with orientation, friendschip.
But you can send me one email to my private email adresse

[email protected]
[email protected]

Now in this moment I am in germany and Dinamark, but in sometimes week I come back to barcelona city.
Greetings and wellcome to BCN

Maya