Salary after tax

Hello,

If a salary is 17,000 (:() then how much would it be after tax? Trying to figure out a budget.

Thanks

single or joint computation ?

what date would you start work ?

Single rates 8,501-14,500 chargeable income @ 15%
Married rates 11,901-21,200 chargeable income & 15%
Parent rates 9,301-15,800 chargeable income @ 15%

For residents

soory, just seen you are earning over 17,000 so it's 25%

Also, whats the average monthly price of a phone contract, tv/internet connection, electricity bill and health insurance?

Ok thanks, better than the 45% here!

it would be a 25% marginal rate, not average rate - first bit tax free, then 15%, then 25% etc

also you get the full allowance even if you start work during a tax year, hwence why I asked when you will start work

there is also 10% social security contributions to pay

When does the tax year start? So is that 10% of 17,000 also? Are tax and social security the only charges? That 17,000 is dwindling.

tax year same as calendar year

Lemmon wrote:

When does the tax year start? So is that 10% of 17,000 also? Are tax and social security the only charges? That 17,000 is dwindling.

I wouldn't worry, that's a very good wage for here!!

I was in Malta a few weeks ago and found that food isn't really any cheaper than here in Ireland, and petrol is the same price. Looking at estate agents it seems that a decent place would cost at least 400 a month. So its hard to see where I would be spending significantly less than at home, and thereby surviving on a much reduced budget.

no council tax, no water rates cheap bus fares elec and water bills if on residential rate considerably cheaper, no tv licence to speak of, fags and booze considerably cheaper too. all these count

tax would be about 1525 pr yr as a single person and 765 per yr as a married........... plus 10% for SSC....

17000 is good money for Malta

Hi Lemmon,

you are probably correct on that. But you didn't indicate your salary at home in Ireland.

But here in Malta the sun is included and nearly guaranteed.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Lemmon,

When looking at economics, you have to look at it like this;
Minimum wage in each country,take away the cost of average say, 2 bedroom place and local council tax/rates. what you are left with is yours to do what you want with as everything else is variable and personal choice.
Malta use to be, I am not sure about now, high up in the EU for higher than average, spendable income (believe it or not!)
Factor in your above average wage for here and like Ricky said, the sun and way of life and that should help you make your decision?

It would be a third of my salary here. The sunshine doesn't come cheap! Also obviously the lifestyle in Malta is considerably more pleasant, and the Maltese people are without a doubt the friendliest people I've ever met.

In my opinion, I changed my whole spending attitude and way of living when I moved here. Yes food can be expensive, buying familiar brands. Now I cook from scratch, using local in season produce. I very rarely eat meat, I don't have the traditional Sunday dinner but we have BBQ'd sausages and burgers on the beach. I don't buy from Marks and Spencers or Next but is that really important, when my kids spend most of their time in swimsuits on the beach in summer?
Petrol may cost the same but would you be travelling the same distances..The island is only 14 miles long!
electric can be expensive if you are on the wrong tarrif but I turn my lights off when not needed, I don't leave stuff on standby...Not really a bad thing.
My kettle and toaster do not match my oven and fridge but they work and do the job!
My outlook on life has not come down to materialistic things anymore. There is no keeping up with the Jone's, so no pressure. I have no overdraft, no loans, no car loans, no catalogues or debts, that equals no post, simplicity at it's best don't you think??

Yes I agree 100%, I'm not in the least materialistic and how much money I earn doesn't define me by any means.  My concern is that I will be moving to a distant land, on my own, which I think will be tough enough, so I really don't want being able to afford to pay rent/have food for dinner to worry about aswell. Thanks for your reply :)

Yes you're right and it is scary!!!
say; Rent                       400 (but you can get a lot cheaper!)
     TV, Internet and mobile    70-90 (ish, depending on package)
     Electric and water         70 (ish!)
     food                       200 (ish!)
Just a rough idea for you!

save yourself some cash as local go and melita tv is crap - just get internet and phone and use an iptv link to watch tv thru internet...easier and cheaper and better variety

Yeah good idea, do internet providers in Malta block access to file-sharing websites?

On 17K you will have to pay €1,525 in income tax and about €1,700 in Social Security contributions. That will leave you with a disposable income of €1,150/month. You can't expect that to cover more than the most basic of requirements. If you're earning 3 times as much in Ireland, your standard of living will definitely be affected once you move here despite the fact that cost of living is lower here. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Hi Lemmon,

In Malta u are free to use torrent and so (it's illegal ofc, but noone cares).

The salary difference is for u is quite big. If u move alone, u can make it, but will be hard to save.
As the island is quite small, u will want to travel around, and for that, u will need money.
The nightlife is amazing here ( every day party in Paceville ), and always happening something (feasts and events all around, almost every day fireworks :)), I think, u can easily socialize..

In my opinion, if u want an adventure, go ahead :) It will a good experience :).

Andras

Thanks Lambada for your calculations (and brutal honesty). So what salary would you need to be on to have a comfortable lifestyle? Perhaps I will put my negotiation skills to the test...

Indeed the nightlife on Malta seems fantastic, although I spent most of my time on Gozo which was quite sedate in comparison!

I would say that you can live comfortably on €27k if you have no dependants. If you're earning €51k in Ireland I don't see why you shouldn't be worth €30k here. What industry are you in if I may ask?

The nightlife is good if you're into clubbing but I'm past that phase. There's a good choice of restaurants but concerts and theatrical shows are quite lacking.

Lemmon wrote:

I was in Malta a few weeks ago and found that food isn't really any cheaper than here in Ireland, and petrol is the same price. Looking at estate agents it seems that a decent place would cost at least 400 a month. So its hard to see where I would be spending significantly less than at home, and thereby surviving on a much reduced budget.

I wonder where about in Ireland you normally to shopping. I lived in Ireland for nearly 3 years and I can tell you that groceries there are more expensive than here, even in Tesco's or Lidl. Here you pay 2.50€ (tourist rate) for a day bus ticket, in Ireland for the Dublin bus, you would pay about 6€. If you smoke, a pack of cigarets cost you nearly 10€ in Ireland, here you pay about 4€. Petrol it might be similar (I am not sure coz I still don't drive here), but as said before, the distances are shorter. In 2008 I was paying about 1200€ for a 2 bed apartment in Dublin 15, here I pay 500€ for a nearly luxury apartment in the center of Malta. So, if you do your calculation right, a 17.000€ salary here in Malta, would probably be the equivalent of about 30.000€ salary in Ireland, which was what I was getting before.

I wonder where about in Ireland you normally to shopping. I lived in Ireland for nearly 3 years and I can tell you that groceries there are more expensive than here, even in Tesco's or Lidl. Here you pay 2.50€ (tourist rate) for a day bus ticket, in Ireland for the Dublin bus, you would pay about 6€. If you smoke, a pack of cigarets cost you nearly 10€ in Ireland, here you pay about 4€. Petrol it might be similar (I am not sure coz I still don't drive here), but as said before, the distances are shorter. In 2008 I was paying about 1200€ for a 2 bed apartment in Dublin 15, here I pay 500€ for a nearly luxury apartment in the center of Malta. So, if you do your calculation right, a 17.000€ salary here in Malta, would probably be the equivalent of about 30.000€ salary in Ireland, which was what I was getting before.

That was brilliant Mantonas
Im from Eire Leitrim in the arse hole of nowhere.
Lemmon what lifesyle you living.
I have two apartments in Malta that rent out short or long term.
Pvt me for web address cant post it on forum.
Or look up my profile.
I come on holidays for a week I spend for shopping 40 euro, drinks for the week 150 euro, meals out 3 times in the week, like the band club 1927 then avenue twice so would say 120 euros.
Cook at home the rest of the nights.
Bus fares 10 euro. fags 35euro a week.

I was in my home town last weekend 7.20euros for a pint of Heiniken
Rip off Ireland.
Why did I retire as chef at 23yrs old.

Cause I love Malta.

lambada wrote:

I would say that you can live comfortably on €27k if you have no dependants. If you're earning €51k in Ireland I don't see why you shouldn't be worth €30k here. What industry are you in if I may ask?

The nightlife is good if you're into clubbing but I'm past that phase. There's a good choice of restaurants but concerts and theatrical shows are quite lacking.

I'm shocked and must be living in a different Malta!

€27K!!! Easy!!
coxf0001, we left a very well decorated and furnished home in UK (art deco themed) to come here.
Like you I prefer the simplicity of life here and who cares if plates don't match?
I certainly don't. Only thing is we brought far too much stuff with us.

Hi,

you can see a comparison of living cost on this site.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

I have compared Dublin with Sliema, and as you will see although Sliema is less expensive (20-50%) but nowhere near 3times less if you want to keep up your level of lifestyle.

Good luck

Evi

Lemmon wrote:

Yeah good idea, do internet providers in Malta block access to file-sharing websites?

No not yet anyway...

Mantonas, I do my shopping in Aldi. I don't think there's an Aldi in Malta, but there is a Lidl, which I looked up and the prices seem equivalent to their prices here. I don't get the bus, I don't smoke, I drink very little and my daily commute is about 6km. I pay 600 for a beautiful one bed apartment with a view of the bay.

Maltese cross you are hilarious about Leitrim. I was out one night talking to a guy about how much of a dive Galway is, how it must be the worst place in Ireland, and his immediate reply was 'Have you been to Leitrim?'. Is it that bad?! Again I paid 3.00 for a pint of Guinness in Gozo, the same as I would pay here. I'm glad to hear you are loving your life in Malta though :)

I also have to factor in the thousands of euro I will spend on deet to keep the mosquitoes at bay. Do they die off for any period of time or are they active all year?

Thanks pevi for that link, those figures are pretty similar to what I learned from my reconnaissance trip over :)

toonarmy9752 wrote:
Lemmon wrote:

No not yet anyway...

.....but there are always the 'proxy' sites.

errmmmm!........so I'm led to believe.

Lemmon,

You could easily get a 1 bedroom penthouse with sea and country views in St. Paul's Bay for 300 euro.

Guinnes is 3 euro everywhere in Malta, it's imported from your home so it's bound to be expensive!

Personally, living on 17,000 as a single person would be fine.

Caroline

Entity wrote:

It is legal

Lemmon wrote:

Ok thanks, better than the 45% here!

I do not think that is correct. AFAIK in Ireland the first €32,800 are taxed at 20% while the rest is taxed at 41%.

If you are a single person earning €50000 in Ireland then your net incomes after taxes, social contributions... are around €34,869  while in Malta if you earn €17000 your incomes after taxes and social contributions are €13775.

Are they offering you €17000 for a similar job than you currently have in Cork? If you earn around 50k in Ireland then you are earning around 20% more than the average salary there while in Malta you would be earning 10% more than the average salary here. Note that, as you probably know, the same job is not necessarily valued equal by employers in one country than in another.

Lusco wrote:
Entity wrote:

It is legal

Wrong!!! It is not so straightforward.

The short answer: As long as the item is copyrighted and you don't own it, then downloading it (for free) via torrent is illegal.

The long answer: This varies from case to case. Most countries have basic common laws against intellectual property theft. If a piece of music is copyrighted and you don't own it, you can't download it legally. The same goes for a movie, a game, or anything else you may want. The line gets kind of fuzzy here, since people ask themselves many different questions about their own countries' laws.

In general, a copyright is registered to an individual or organization that creates something. This copyright has a time limit, usually equivalent to the lifetime of the creator and a set amount of additional years. Some copyrights are for life plus fifty years. Others are for life plus seventy years. Look up your country in the previous link if you're unsure of your laws. Of course, your mileage may vary, as some things may not be protected by the law where you live, or copyright law may not be enforced at all.

Of course, you may want artwork from an individual who's currently alive or has recently died. Here's where it gets complicated: Some artists create works under a creative commons license (or other free distribution license), meaning that they give anyone the ability to freely distribute what they make. However, it's difficult to make the distinction between these individuals and publishing companies. A simple web search may help, but you don't always get the information you want that way. All you can do is be careful. Many national laws don't care if you didn't know that the work was copyrighted or not when prosecuting you for downloading something.

If you're downloading a free Linux distribution through your torrent client, you don't need to worry. But if you're getting John Lennon's “Imagine” from The Pirate Bay, you're doing something that in all likelihood is breaking a law.

From: http://www.maketecheasier.com/is-downlo … 2013/06/28

redmik wrote:
Lusco wrote:
Entity wrote:

It is legal

Wrong!!! It is not so straightforward.

@Entity just said "to use torrent", not to download a copyrighted item that you do not own the copyright. The torrent protocol, a torrent client or even to run a torrent server is legal in the same way than the HTTP protocol is legal.

Anyway for for your peace of mind the Maltese law does not criminalize users since basically require conditions such as acting "for profit" and many similar conditions more related to trading acts.

Talking of Torrents, the ones I tried yesterday are saying unavailable....Have I reached a download limit??!!

coxf0001 wrote:

Talking of Torrents, the ones I tried yesterday are saying unavailable....Have I reached a download limit??!!

Depends on many things like your contract. Does that have a limit?

I also find, sometimes that some of my links cannot be made, whereas others can be so I put that down to the vagaries of living here and Malta servers.
Now, I would be interested in how the system works out here in terms of routing etc.
I have no doubt some people can let me know.
In particular regarding accessing Eurosport player (Europe) and FilmOn.
Thanks.