Monthly consumption of water and electricity

Hi,

could you please share your monthly consumption of water and electricit? Please also state no. of people living in the property.

We are a family of four and our consumption is 382 units of electricity and 446 (I don't know what units] of water.

Thanks,
Jitka

the water consumtion should be 44.6 m3 per month ... 446 means 446,000 liter i.e. 446 tons of water !!!

it mainly depends on the season:
we are 2 persons in a house with garden.
from july to november we needed about 150kWh electricity and ca. 15m3 water per month.
from december to feb we needed some 350kWh (elec. boilers and a/c for heating) and less than 10m3 water per month.
And up to now 3 gas bottles for the heater.

we use in average 440 units of elec a month in winter and about 300-350 during summer - water we use average 5-6 cubic metres per month...and gas 2 botle per yr for cooking (hob only),,,, and so far this winter (since mid nov) 10 bottles of gas for heating. family of three and we rarely use air con, and we have every peice of energy and water saving kit possible.

We use an average of 400 units elec and 9 cubic meters water per month. 1 gas bottle so far this winter, air con used regularly.
2 people 3 bed flat, low energy bulbs.

Terry

Hi,

what is the cost for water and electricity in Malta ? Is there only one Company or are there more where you can choose their offers or completly different ?

total monopoly

toonarmy9752 wrote:

total monopoly

Ah, that means water and electricity are ruled by the Government or one company.
Do know somebody the average prices for this goods (Price per m³ water or kwh) ?

depends if you are resident or non resident as they operate a two tier tariff.

Thank you all for your contribution.

I am just wondering if I made a mistake with water as 44.6 m3 is so much and we are quite careful with water usage. I mean meter reading at the beginning of the month was 168.690 and after 2 weeks it was 170.928. Is it then 22.38m3 or 2.238m3?

2.283 or 2283 litres

2283 litres in two weeks is reasonable for 4 people I think....

that equates on average to approx 60000 litres per yr or 60 cubic meters

which would mean less than 5.5cu metres per month is average and acceptable id say

OK, thanks a lot. That sounds better in regards to price:)

toonarmy9752 wrote:

depends if you are resident or non resident as they operate a two tier tariff.

Ah, ok. What are the tarifs for residents ?

Volkov wrote:

Ah, ok. What are the tarifs for residents ?

electricity between 0.161 and 0.620 per kWh
water between 1.47 and 5.41 per m3

... and there are always some extra costs (service fee etc.)

resdients are currently defined as holders of the the new e-residency permits = currently without that you will eventually not be classed as resident nor will you get the lower rates and that goes for buses eventaully too

For electricity and water, for our needs I am budgeting on €1800 per year. (€6 per day in colder months) Hopefully it will be less as we settle in.

I am renting a flat and the bills are in the name of the maltese proprietor. Then the tariff is for residents, but I suppose it is higher because it is a second residence. Then what will be the tariff?

If its a second home then the tariff will be more expensive - thus DOMESTIC rather than the much cheaper RESIDENTIAL.

Until you can get named on the account holders account as a registered consumer (upto 8 can be included including children) you will continue to pay the higher rates. To do so you must get the e-Residency card and complete the change of consumer numbers form (avail from arms website) and get the permission of the owner as he must also provide his signature on the form and both front and back of his id card. It is free to do it - you do not need to have the account in your name.

And how much it is the domestic one?

I have spent in 5 months 868.00 units. Is it normal?

MaltaCommando wrote:

And how much it is the domestic one?

I have spent in 5 months 868.00 units. Is it normal?

Look here, bottom of the page.
https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/p … 1MzBLMg!!/

much depends on whether you are living alone or are with others who can be named on the bills. the mroe there are on the bills the more allowances you can claim if you fulfil the requirements- at that rate of consumption for electricity alone (single person) you are exceeding the allowances for eco discounts but its only 7-8units over each month so with a little care you could stay within them...
On elec once you exceed the limit then everything  is lost in terms of discount - even the discounts you may have earned previously in the year.

in very very simple terms instead of paying say 16-17c per unit you will be paying 21-23c per unit

there is a similar discount on water too and the thresholds there are 33cu m (33000 litres per person per yr at 1.48 / 1000L) but on domestic it is 2.38 ish per 1000L -doesnt sound a lot but hey  none of us have money to throw away or burn. once you exceed the water limit you go upto 5.50 per 1000L but here you dont lose the lower level discount at all.

usage depends on personal habits etc - we three use about 12-13 units per day total when only two are here then it drops to about 8-10 units per day..and that has been fairly stable for the last 4-5 years

Hi, many thanks to all.

If it is  0,23 cents as maximum that's sounds aceptable 0.23 x 868 = 199,64 euros.

At home we are 4 persons and it seems that the most consuming electrodomestic is our airconditioner(this last days we used it a lot)

toonarmy9752 I know that the best is to get the new ID cards but we have left it until the burocracy starts to deliver them more rapidly (if this some day happens).

MaltaCommando wrote:

Hi, many thanks to all.

If it is  0,23 cents as maximum that's sounds aceptable 0.23 x 868 = 199,64 euros.

At home we are 4 persons and it seems that the most consuming electrodomestic is our airconditioner(this last days we used it a lot)

toonarmy9752 I know that the best is to get the new ID cards but we have left it until the burocracy starts to deliver them more rapidly (if this some day happens).

#

that still over 50 euros more than it should be....

think about the fact that with 4 registered people you would be allowed 4 x 1000 units per yr at 25% disc and a further 750 x 4 per year at 15% discount - that would cover a lot of air con usage at much lower rates

Hi according to my lease my landlord charges me €6.50 per unit of water and €0.35 per unit of electricity. I have a three bed apartment and at present only my daughter and I live here until my husband joins us in April. Is this a fair charge please?

It's higher than the supplier charges him: he is making some money for provision of service!

Is that fair?

If water is used prudently, a consumer gets it at discounted rate and I think if premises is registered as single user, there is a further discount.

You shouldn't have signed that lease !

Keep track of your consumption on those charges - you might be in for a negative surprise.

To get the best rates you need to be on the residential rate with the correct number of persons registered. You are on domestic or even worse!

Cheers
Ricky

It really seems bizarre to me that a landlord can specify utility charges.
Trouble is i have only experienced (in a couple of different countries - not Malta yet) 2 types of charges.

Theses were a set rental including all charges and the other one was set rental and i registered and paid utility charges in my name.

Seems to me this wants sorting out at government level - its you that uses the utility NOT the landlord - open to corruption big style and a real way of the landlord effectively getting more rent from you.

It's my BIGGEST concern about moving to Malta.

It's not hard to understand but there're several things to bear in mind. I try and explain as I have travelled and lived in a few more places.

Getting a supply isn't always that easy: you have to sign contracts in other languages, not knowing what you're signing, terms and conditions, their customer service and complaint mechanism if thing don't work as expected and also the legal framework of the country if the problem cannot be resolved any other way....

You may not get a supply: some countries don't supply to non residents or non citizens. Different utility companies have different criterion and requirements to accept you as a customer....

If you get a supply, you have to deal with issue on the phone perhaps in another language (not normally in Malta). You have to deal with disconnections and refund of your deposit (if lucky to get it back)

====
Malta has resolved the problem by leaving the meters and supply in the landlord's name, so he is responsible to pay them no matter what and how much!!!
The consumer han't got to deal with those or recveive utility bills
I would say the needs, comfort and security of the utility provider, the landlord and the consumer are assured under Maltese models.

Water and electricity meters are recoreded when you move in:
There are no gas bills here as there is no gas supply (no gas pipe netwrk). All people use gas bottles which could last ages and of course no standing charges. I'm not sure how landlords deal with gas. Mine have been nice and helpful either gave me a full bottle or half full at start at no charge. I buy full bottles when they get empty.

Model A (normally for longer let):
You pay a utility bill deposit of say 50 euros
You pay a set contribution of say 50 euros towards the utility bills each month along with your rent
The bill eventually come and you settle it either pay more or get back if you'd paid extra
There is a link on utility company to enter meter readings and get an accurate estimate of where you stand. This can be utilised when leaving or at any time.
The consumer pays the standing charge whicdh isn't a lot, I have to say
Landlord doesn't make a profit (or a loss for the most part) on the utility bills
Bob's your uncle

Model B (often for shorter let):
You pay for usage per unit at an inflated price (known in advance)
You pay it weekly or monthly there and then when he comes to collect the rent and reads the meter.
No standing charge
Landlord might make a small profit or loss (due to service charge or tennent doing a runner!)

There must be a landlord somewhere in Malta who rents inclusive of utility bills, but I haven't come across him. Short-term holiday lets may well be run that way.

To add salt to injury, a property may be on a residential tariff (cheaper) or commercial tariff (much higher). That can be changed but not that easily.

I hope this very long and detailed explanation satisfied all.

You are definitely being ripped off for sure as permanent long term resident you need to ask further questions and get out of that lease asap.. ask the landlord to sign form H available from ARMs website.. normal residential rate for one meter of water is €1.48 and for elec one unit is between 10c and 21c. depending on overall consumption and eco discounts.

the more people there are living there you get more allowances per year at the lower rates ...thus the bills are cheaper

never ever pay direct to the landlord ask for a copy of the bill (dont accept one written by the landlord and note the online calculator is only accurate when you know 100% for sure what tariff you are on)  every time and pay the bill yourself direct to arms via the methods available at bank post office by online... look at your bill if it says scheme domestic or residential = 0 consumers then you are paying way way too much for the same elec and water your landlord uses....

and then if hes asking for cash for rent and utilities and refusing to sign form H hes probably evading taxes, and could potentially be making money off you....... it could also be that he has registered the property as domestic as summer residence for him and his family  and has not declared changes ( a criminal offence) ie the property has permanent residents in it.. thus the invoice may only come each 6 month  or worse still 12months.... if thats the case be very very careful and find out. NOW

further if you continue the way you are and paying a regular sum in cash each month you could be in for a nasty surprise at the eventual bill you will get.... so ask the questions and get the answers NOW .. how sure are you that the landlords are actually paying your cash to the supplier.... we have come across situations where the landlord wasnt paying over to arms.... believe me it happens.. caution and asking awkward questions is your best friend

one further word of warning a good few people have fallen foul of signing a lease (with similar charges) for a property with a private leasing  / letting company and they are currently only able to offer nonresidential rates... and arms are currently enforcing it so be aware and be very very wary.... you can be lumbered with considerably higher rates despite your right to be charged at residential rates when living in your primary residence......

Thanks everyone - I thought it was high and a strange process but I live and learn. Off to chat with my landlord now.  Thanks again

good luck

AlyDimmick wrote:

Thanks everyone - I thought it was high and a strange process but I live and learn. Off to chat with my landlord now.  Thanks again

My usual advice: speak softly and smile a lot, but carry a big stick or a rottweiler (both for added negotiating power) ;)

Good luck!

Have a walking stick just need to borrow a dog in the absence of the Rottweiler otherwise known as my husband lol  :dumbom:

I can lend you my dog mind he'll probably just lick  them to death he has so much love to give

robpw2 wrote:

I can lend you my dog mind he'll probably just lick  them to death he has so much love to give

That might work well on this side "speak softly and smile a lot"
but for the other part, we need more will power....

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
(Al Capone)

stand a deliver at the point of a gun  - DickTurpin.

at least he warned you he was going to rob you

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3151586 … 9/?fref=ts

I think you will find that your nice friendly landlord will suddenly become not so nice and friendly.

Good luck