Sabbatical year in Philippines

Hi,

I plan to travel in Philippines in 2014 for about one year. I have a budget of about 1.500 euro/ 90.000 php per month.

I want to travel slowly, basic, at random. Almost no luggage (no laptop). Travel by ferry, bus, tricycle, foot, moped, car hire ... (no flights)

Stay maybe a couple of days or long term, up to 3 months if I like the spot. Not interested in tourist traps (boracay), but rather unknown little gems, cities or villages too.

To stay overnight: basic room with a comfortable bed, and clean.
From time to time some luxury. And internetcafés frequently (addicted).

I will enjoy local (street) food or cook for myself.

I'm interested in local culture and I know philippine people are usually very friendly.

Is this budget sufficient? any suggestions? airbnb.com? Anything else?

warmly,
marc

well,during sabbatical year in Philippines,it's good to visit villages.i live in small village but no internet,only mountains,farms,rivers hehe.
Philippines was divided into 3 regions (luzon,visayas and mindanao)i'm from Luzon.((luzon visayas mindanao philippines) try to search for you to choose which do you want to visit.
to visit villages,you experience hiking,crowded jeepneys and buses,zigzag road,high and low road unlike in the city .people from villages are helpful and curious to a foreigner ,they might think you are lost or maybe you are looking something so don't wonder if someone will approach you.
villagers are not all same some might be shy .
i didn't yet been in Manila (the capital of Philippines)so i don't know much about it just be careful while on the way going to your chosen places.
don't hesitate to approach Police station.
reminder in going to internet cafe better to ask help from the owner of that place.

As a Filipino,i care and concerned....good luck

hi desmedt, of course your budget is quite enough for staying here, you can rent an apartment or a condo unit in very affordable price in monthly basis you can check this link vacationhomerentals.com

You can do a lot of things here in the philippines just check in google in any website and make a plan. Lots of people are friendly that is true but still there are some who you should not trust.

i hope you will enjoy your vacation.

This should probably be in the Philippines forum.

@ desmedt -> I have moved your message to the Philippines Forum for effective networking. Thanks. Karen :)

Yes friend , 1500 is far enough !!
I did it in 2012 ,, but care , you will fall sick , and will never be happy to return Belgium ...  ;) 

desmedt wrote:

Hi,

I plan to travel in Philippines in 2014 for about one year. I have a budget of about 1.500 euro/ 90.000 php per month.

I want to travel slowly, basic, at random. Almost no luggage (no laptop). Travel by ferry, bus, tricycle, foot, moped, car hire ... (no flights)

Stay maybe a couple of days or long term, up to 3 months if I like the spot. Not interested in tourist traps (boracay), but rather unknown little gems, cities or villages too.

To stay overnight: basic room with a comfortable bed, and clean.
From time to time some luxury. And internetcafés frequently (addicted).

I will enjoy local (street) food or cook for myself.

I'm interested in local culture and I know philippine people are usually very friendly.

Is this budget sufficient? any suggestions? airbnb.com? Anything else?

warmly,
marc

Hi, I think your budget is  good for what you want to do ( islands, small villages ). We live here since last December and my opinion is you can stay in your budget without problem.
Have a nice vacation !

desmedt -do you know you have to renew tourist visa every 2 months? so need to be within reach of office where extension can be done   ,that budget would cover at least 3 months for most travellers

hello here in the philipines  a place to go are the places called the heritage cities where houses are built thru spanish era.