Job advice please!

We're looking at possibly moving to Norway  in the future but we don't know the job market over there too well!

My husband works as an IFA and has a degree alongside all the relevant finance qualifications, what is the finance industry like over there and where would you say are most of the jobs located? I myself will have finished my masters in archaeology by the time we look to move there and not sure yet on what to go for work wise.

I keep hearing how expensive the cost of living is over there but having previously lived in Westminster and Surrey it can't be that much more surely?

Any advice is welcome and thanks for reading,

A

Hello,

To give you an idea of the cost of living, you could look here: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … &city=Oslo

The rent is a little low, I would say. You should probably expect to pay a bit more. I would think the best bet of finding jobs would be in Oslo. If you have a master's in archaeology, I would consider applying for a PhD scholarship. They are paid relatively well in Norway and you generally won't be required to speak Norwegian. For other jobs, you will generally be expected to speak Norwegian.

David

Hi, Thanks for the great reply! :)

I hadn't thought of doing a phd over there, are there many around? I know over here it's becoming close to impossible to secure one what with competition and humanities as a whole losing funding, I read in the paper half of all language degrees have disappeared with several uni's not offering one at all now.

I've heard it's a good idea to commute into Oslo, are there any commuter areas to avoid or are they all ok? We'll be moving with children so will be looking for somewhere that's suitable for them.

Also, how long did it take you learn the language?

sorry to bombard you with lots of questions!

Hello,

PhD scholarships are usually pretty easy to get. Often there is a shortage of qualified candidates so there isn't always that much competition for places. Also, being a native English speaker is a big advantage in an academic career. In Oslo I guess your best option would be the University of Oslo. There is also a university college and a business school in Oslo, as well as some other institutions which might take PhD students. I think most Norwegians can earn more money doing other things, so  tend not to stick with an academic job.

Property is so expensive in Oslo that I suppose commuting would be the best option if you are looking to have space for a family. I think most areas are OK. None that I can think of as particularly bad, except for areas like Groruddalen, but that's really a part of Oslo. You can look at property and jobs at www.finn.no, although that website is in Norwegian. You can read the job postings for the University of Oslo, in English, at http://www.uio.no/english/about/jobs/va … -content-2

As for learning the language, it depends how much effort you want to put into it. Within a few months you will have some ability to understand. I suppose after about a year I was able to speak reasonably well, although it improves more over time. It wasn't one of my priorities, as I had planned a temporary stay. It's not so difficult for English speakers to learn, as it the two languages have much in common.

No problem asking questions, that's what the site is here for.

David