Looking for telephone solutions

Hi all,

I will be moving to BDS in 10 days time and trying to find a solution to a telecommunication problem. I wish to keep my Canadian cell phone number active, as it is also my business number. However, I do not wish to pay the outrageous fees Rogers charges for receiving calls while abroad. I have thought so far of two solutions, though I am not sure how to implement them.
1) Port my current number to a VOIP service provider that has coverage in BDS. Anyone aware of one, other than Skype?
2) Create a virtual phone number with the likes of Virtufon, using the same area code as my current number (514). Calls to that number would be forwarded to Skype directly. Subscribe to "call forwarding" with Rogers, having the calls forwarded to the new "local" number. Take the calls on my Bajan cell phone. Questions: will call forwarding by Rogers work towards a virtual number? Is it cost efficient to take calls through Skype on a cell phone in BDS?

Thanks very much and enjoy the rest of your day!

Dominique

Hello Dominique.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks.

Karen :)

Hi,  I moved to Barbados 2 years ago and you could buy a magic jack, forward your cell phone to that number (canadian numbers available). I assume you will have internet with either Lime (terrible company) or Flow (good service) down here and you can get a Magic Jack that connects to your modem so you can hook  up a regular phone without turning on the computer. People can also leave messages which you will receive through your email.

I have the magic jack and all my friends call me from Canada (the once in the Barrie area local) and I can call all of north america for free. The Annual fee is about $20. I love having it.

If you want connect when you are down here, I am in Oistins and don't mind sharing all of my experiences so far.

Take care and all the best for your move

Petra Bellamy