Tripoli is it currently safe for westerners?

Hi,

I'm considering a move to Tripoli.

Is it currently safe for westerners to move about the city during the day? Is it necessary to live in a secure compound?  What is the best suburb to live for an expat?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi LeighBrown_13,

Welcome to expat-blog!

I created a new topic from your post for better visibility on the Tripoli forum.

I suggest you to go through the Tripoli forum, you might find out more information. :)

Thank you,

David.

Hi LeighBrown_13,

Well, during the day is quite safe. Avoid going around in the evenings. Some cities are safer than many others: like Siahya, Noflin or Gargaresh...
The best is to live in Hotel like Radisson or corinthia..

Good luck

Have you seen the news lately brother??

We were evacuated from the town due to work stoppage by malitia group and none of us wanted to go to those two hotels since they are high profile targets now with both of them havig experienced an attempted attack in the last couple of weeks!!

I would advise you to go to a nice but low profile venue if you wish to stay for longer periods try to get it in a locality where you shouldn't be scared to walk out the door and grab a pack of smokes from the street....

Cheers
Fahim

Challenger27 wrote:

Hi LeighBrown_13,

Well, during the day is quite safe. Avoid going around in the evenings. Some cities are safer than many others: like Siahya, Noflin or Gargaresh...
The best is to live in Hotel like Radisson or corinthia..

Good luck

Compunds have their own advantage...you dont feel out of the place....easier to communicate...plus the social and cultural difference that you can avoid experiencing....Palm city residence I believe is the place....comes with a price ofcourse!!!

Cheers
Fahim

LeighBrown_13 wrote:

Hi,

I'm considering a move to Tripoli.

Is it currently safe for westerners to move about the city during the day? Is it necessary to live in a secure compound?  What is the best suburb to live for an expat?

Thanks for your feedback.

Souq Al Jumma'a is the best area, its safer than most western country cities!  Day or night!

Janzour is generally OK as safe as anywhere else and better than many areas.  Its about 20-25km West of Tripoli the are a few Expats about.  There is Palm City and OEA if you want to live on a compound with other Expats but for a cost.

It is not safe to travel anywhere. Violent car-jackings resulting in shooting are on the increase, for both locals and expats. In the evenings you can hear the sound of heavy gunfire in the distance plus there are fireworks going off all the time which is rather irritating.
Electricity is on and off with regular 3 hour power cuts. Right now there is no water, hasn't been any in Tripoli for the last few days although it is expected back soon.
Fuel supplies are also hit and miss. Generally the whole country is in a mess and is getting worse daily

Tripoli, nor the rest of Libya is not safe. Law-less on the streets, which makes it unpredictable where and when the next gun fight takes place and for what!

[Moderated]