Howard Gayle Adams - Former US Soldier Living in Jinan

Hello,

does anybody in Jinan know Howard G. Adams, a former US GI who came to live in China after the Korean War? I saw the documentary "They Chose China" a few months ago and was fascinated by this group of men and their stories of living in China. If any body could advise if they have met Howard Adams in Jinan and have contact information, I would be most grateful.

I am not a reporter but would very much like to meet Mr. Adams in person to hear his story of living in China over the past 60 years.

Thanks,

Eamonn

Is this a joke?

No, not at all.

If you check out the documentary "They Chose China" on Youtube, it describes the decision 21 ex-POW's made to live in China after the Korean War, a really fascinating story. If anybody knows Howard Gayle Adams (the last one remaining in China), I would appreciate if you could let me know how to contact him, he would be 88 this year.

Good luck with that.  I would highly doubt that anyone here just happens to know the one specific person you're looking for.

It is unlikely but worth a shot, would be fascinating to meet the man, his story would be amazing no doubt. If you happen to come across him in Jinan or meet someone who has, would appreciate if you could let me know. Thanks

Hello Eamonn
I just read your blog about Howard Adams. I met him in 2008 and heard some of his story. I don't know if he's still alive however?

Hello,

I sent you a private message on this topic, did you receive it?

Eamonn

Hello Nigel, I sent you some messages on this topic back in 2013 but did not get a reply. I understand that Mr. Adams is still alive (at the age of 92) but prefers not to discuss his past, I received an email of that effect from his daughter which politely declined my request to meet him. You seem to be one of very few people that he agreed to speak to about his life in China, must have been a fascinating story. Would you be willing to share some of the details?
Regards, Eamonn

Not sure if you'll see this or not, but Howard Gayle Adams was my grandfather. I never met him obviously. His daughter, my mother was just a toddler here in the states when he went over to the war. Was just curious if you were ever able to get in touch with him? If so I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Good luck with that.  I would highly doubt that anyone here just happens to know the one specific person you're looking for.

Poor Hailey - It's hard to fail quite that badly  :D

KodyKox wrote:

Not sure if you'll see this or not, but Howard Gayle Adams was my grandfather. I never met him obviously. His daughter, my mother was just a toddler here in the states when he went over to the war. Was just curious if you were ever able to get in touch with him? If so I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

Your chances of finding him are extremely limited, more so as time passes, but your post proves the world is far smaller than most believe.

@KodyKox

Hi there,

I was a student in Shandong University about 30 years ago. Howard was my English teacher teaching spoken English. He used to call my name to answer random questions in almost every class. The University had a beautiful campus, and he could often be seen on campus riding his bike. Sometimes I played basketball by myself and saw him doing the same in the basketball court. We would have some brief conversations.

Just would like to share this in case you would like to know him a little bit. Good luck finding his contact info.

Best,

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the feedback, however please note that you are responding to an old post of 2021.

All the best

Bhavna

Hi Michelle; thank you for your message and the update on Mr. Adams; I actually made contact with his daughter about 10 years ago but she declined my request to speak to Howard Adams; she advised that her father was quite forgetful and did not want to speak about his past; considering that Howard Adams was born in 1925 I would be surprised if he is still alive as he would be 98 years old. One of the group of 21 POW's (David Hawkins) that moved to China after the Korean War is still alive and will be 90 this year; living quietly in the US. Regards, Eamonn

Been fascinated by Howard Adams story for a while. Hope the relationship with his family was ok after he stayed in China. There's a blog by a guy who met him in the early 80's that's a very good read.

authordavidpaulson.com/2019/11/24/discovering-china-feb-aug-1982/