New in antigua

hi
i am new in antigua looking to make friends find a home and find classes in art and ceramics, any information would be gratefully received

thanks for any help
jeannie b
have a beautiful day

hello im not living there yet but i like to now you ,how is life there i mind if is hard to find e job i live in montreal canada but im from cuba

if some one want to write me to send to me some advice about it i apreciated

Hi Jeanne,
I am new to blogging and am trying to figure this all out. Do you currently live in Antigua? I am trying to find info about the cost of living there. I live in the US. Any help would be appreciated.
Merrie Lou

Jeannieb

Hey, I'm looking to move to Antigua in the next couple months.  Have you had any luck meeting new people and getting into some classes.  It would be nice to go to the island knowing of some other people.  write back if you are still looking for new pals.

I live in Canada now, ontario, and can't wait to start my new adventure.

Look forward to talking with you. Lisa.

It's nice to hear so many of you are thinking of emigrating to Antigua, I know how you feel because this is exactly what I did just over 3 1/2 years ago.

I love Antigua, the life style, the beaches and the sea. non of the rules and regulations that used to drive me mad in the UK so provinding you don't mind living on a small island 10miles x 14miles you will probably love living here.

I would add that if you like city life then think again because this is small town and you encounter all the difficulties of living away from a city.

I noted one of you was Cuban, I have a friend who is a vet from Cuba, and there are a lot of others, mainly doctors on the island and not one of them regets moving here to my knowledge.

if you have any specific questions let me know, I havebeen through the whole immigration process so can probably advise you on what to expect and you need to do.

As for the cost of living, it can be quite expensive if you try and eat the same foods as you would in the UK or US, but if you change your diet and eat more like the locals its not so bad. Remember everything has to be imported into the island so unless its home grown you will pay a premium on all foods brought in.

Anyway feel free to ask me any questions, and if you want to read some of my experiences when I firt moved here check out a blog I started when I first arrived.

theexpatdudes.blogspot.com

Living in Antigua is expensive!!!  You need to find an apartment roughly $700-$900 US.  You need a car (even thought the island is small, you really need a vehicle).  The roads are pretty terrible, the drivers-very aggressive, there is not a big market for mopeds or motorcyles as on other caribbean islands.  A car (which I am still negotiating) will run from $5000 US and up.  Food is marginally more and electricity is through the roof...  I wouldn't trade this for anything (now that I am establishing myself) but it is very difficult for the first few weeks.  A fellow teacher says the first 3 months, and she had been in the Caribbean over 10 years.

Hi Jeannie, I found this :
[no free ads in your very first message]

See you around!

My husband and I have spent many wonderful holidays in Antigua and are seriously considering re-locating.  We have pensions of just over £50k and sufficient funds to buy a decent villa.  Can you let us know if there are any restrictions on buying property - how expensive the process is a and how long it takes.

We Re planning on coming over and renting a self-catering property for 3 weeks so that we can check out the standard of living etc.

Is there anything we need to be Ware of.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Our ages are 65 and 71 and we are still very active - would love to do some volunteer work (unpaid).

Best regards

Anne

Dear EXPATDUDE
I tried the link but there is a error message

theexpatdudes.blogspot.com

Have you changed the Name?