Relocating to Qatar

Hello,

I'm currently researching everything that has to do with relocating to Qatar from the US. I have some questions and would love to hear from who has prior knowledge and real-life experience.

1. Would you recommend that I ship my car from the US. Do I have to pay import tax? Shipping costs are paid by employer.
2. Would like to the kids to learn how to speak Arabic. How was your experience? Would school do a good job with this?
3. Would $10,000 per child be good enough for schooling allowance per child or considered average. I saw some that are within that range but it seems that the tops ones would go for much more!
4. How long does residency paper-work take for self and family?
5. Do I have to take driving test or am I allowed to exchange my license with a Qatari one?

Welcome to Expat.com bro!

1. Would you recommend that I ship my car from the US. Do I have to pay import tax? Shipping costs are paid by employer.
Yes you will pay for the import taxes, you can ask your employer to pay the taxes. Don't think they'll agree though.

2. Would like to the kids to learn how to speak Arabic. How was your experience? Would school do a good job with this?
I heard Fanar in Qatar are good in teaching arabic, its located in corniche.

3. Would $10,000 per child be good enough for schooling allowance per child or considered average. I saw some that are within that range but it seems that the tops ones would go for much more!
I think its fair

4. How long does residency paper-work take for self and family?
Your employer should sort this out for you.

5. Do I have to take driving test or am I allowed to exchange my license with a Qatari one?
You need to retake the test and then exchange your lisence

I need a job in qatar as I am moving to qatar soon.

Hello Saicky,

Maybe you could start my presenting yourself, and telling us in what exactly are you looking for a job.
I can suggest you to visit the Jobs in Doha section.
Hope that helps.

Regards,
Pravin.

I have a degree in Tourism and Hospitality from Morocco,I currently live in the US for more than 15 years,I love it here but not enough to raise my kids ,so I am seriously considering moving to Qatar , I speak fluent English, Arabic ,French and some Spanish.I applied for so many jobs online, but so far no luck.
I have good experience in customer service,guest relations ,timeshare and call center.
Can anyone please advise me and help me find a more efficient way to get a job offer.

Hey Faris. I am currently an American Expat living in Qatar.  Based on my experience and knowledge here are a few answers to your questions.

You can ship your car here, however you will pay an import tax, which I believe is at least 10% of the retail value of your car. There are several dealerships here and of course, like any other place where there are lots of turn-overs, attrition, repatriation etc. there are a plethora of vehicles for sale at a reasonable price.

As far as Arabic classes, there are several that are offered. I agree that Fanar is probably your best option. The whole family can attend and I think it's free! Fanar is the cultural center in Doha near the Souq Waqif.

Your children should be able to attend American School of Doha, a highly prestigious institution in Doha for price you have quoted. There are other options, Qatar Academy etc, but I have a few teacher friends at ASD and I assure you the quality is outstanding.

Residency paperwork takes about two weeks for the sponsored individual. If you plan on sponsoring your family yourself instead of your company, it may take a while longer. However, as you are American, which is sad to say, I am sure the process will be expedited compared to other nationalities.

And finally, as stated before, you do need to take a driver's test. If you have any driving experience whatsoever, it is no issue. The signs for the most part are international signs and they offer study guides as well. The actual road test is simple.

Hope this helps!