Going to University

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered as I could not seem to find a way to search the School and Studies previous forum posts.

I am an English man living in Bergen, currently working as a physiotherapist privately and speaking basic conversational norwegian.  I have been here for 20 months and have a daughter on the way this summer so I have no plans of moving from Norway in the foreseeable future.  I am interested in a career change and wondered what was involved in going back to University.
My questions are as follows -

- Are all the courses here taught in Norwegian or are there English versions too?
- How much does University cost and am I eligble for any sort of funding/discount?
- What are the entrance requirements for the course, will I be able to use my English degree to apply?  (I know this is a very broad question but any help much appreciated, my degree has been recognised and accepted by NOKUT so I assume I can use it but I did finish it in 2000 so I might need to prove competency again?)

To give you a little background, I am thinking of an engineering degree, full time study and at undergraduate level.

Thanks for your help

Regards,

Raafox

Hello,

I think most bachelor degrees are in Norwegian, although certain courses may be in English. There are master's programmes which are taught entirely in English, but of course that assumes you already have an undergraduate degree. I'm sure you could browse the websites of UiB or NHH. They have English language versions which presumably point to English speaking courses.

Good luck,

David

Hey

I have actually been considering the same thing. I am also English and been living in Bergen nearly a year and due to fairly unsuccessful job searching I was considering going back to university. (I finished a business degree in England just before coming over)

Firstly, Norwegian University is not free! But it is very very cheap. The big issue which I dont have an answer for but am very curious about is the maintenance. You would of course still need an income and could not live off part time work and I dont know as English people weither we could get Norwegian student loans. Without this I dont know how it would be possible to live.

Im only speculating sorry but I see no reason why your Degree wouldnt be good for entrance points but it depends on weither it has given you the necceseray knowledge in the right areas. For an engineering degree they may expect a certain level of existing knowledge but Im not sure

Norway as im sure you are aware are crying out for engineers and most jobs in the sector ive seen dont require much Norwegian so I would very much expect English courses to be avaliable but as silver said your best bet is going to visit them as your already here.

It is possible for a foreign citizen to get a student loan under certain conditions. You can look at http://www.lanekassen.no/nb-NO/Hovedmen … orgerskap/ for details.

Hi Bobby,

thanks for the reply, when you say it would not be possible to live off part time work, why is this?  Is it the general cost of living in Norway, the study costs or the time actually involved in studying not allowing time to work?  In terms of English versions of courses, it seems that Masters are in English but undergraduate courses aren't and although I have a science degree i don't think it would be relevant for getting me onto a master's programme.

Raafox

Thanks for that link dmcart I will definitely look it over.

I think a combination of all of those really except the study costs. Currently I work part time around 100 hours a month and if it wasnt for the support of my girlfriend and her inlaws I know I wouldnt make it on that. Even if you got cheaper student accomidation I think it would be close to impossible.

I know several people (all Norwegians) that took degrees and most of them had part time jobs along with their student loan in order to manage. Also I know in England I struggled while a student and had to get a part time job as well along with my student loan.

Finally I know they offer some undergrad english stuff as a friend of mine in englands sister is coming to study for a year but maybe they dont in what your looking for. Going down to chat is always the best call I feel.

Im going to go enquire about a Norsk Kors today as it happens