Norwegian Language Course for EU Spouse

Hi, Everyone!

I wonder if there are any other EU nationals who have married to a Norwegian person and facing the same problem.

I am from the UK and I married to my Norwegian husband last year. I would like to attend a Norwegian course. It is said that the spouse of a Norwegian Citizen can study Norwegian free of charge. But the reality seems to be that we need to apply to a "family reunion"  visa in order to register onto these free courses.

It doesn't make any sense since the family reunification visa is for those who come from outside the EU in order to come over to Norway, which doesn't apply to EU citizens. I just feel it's a complete waste of money to apply this necessary visa. And without this visa, the Norwegian course is not free, even if I have married to a Norwegian and I intend to live and work in this country for a very long time. Yet NAV, UDI, local council or passing the ball to each other and no one can provide a clear answer why a marriage certificate is not sufficient enough to prove that I am a spouse, and should be eligible to enjoy this benefit.

Is there anyone else in the same situation? What did you do? Or should I just give up this all silly thing and teach myself at home.

I don't think you'll be able to apply for the visa if you are an EEA passport holder. If you want to learn Norwegian, look into cheaper courses or self teaching by participating in social groups and such. As the spouse of a Norwegian you have far more opportunities to practice than those of us who came for work and can't speak it at home. Use your spouse, use the relatives, use the family dinners as your teaching tools!

ECS wrote:

I don't think you'll be able to apply for the visa if you are an EEA passport holder. If you want to learn Norwegian, look into cheaper courses or self teaching by participating in social groups and such. As the spouse of a Norwegian you have far more opportunities to practice than those of us who came for work and can't speak it at home. Use your spouse, use the relatives, use the family dinners as your teaching tools!

Hi there

How are you getting on with the language? I am finding it very difficult to learn even though my BF is Norwegian.
I have found this language to be the hardest to pick up out of all european languages... is it just me? :s

x

Willow Lin wrote:

Hi, Everyone!

I wonder if there are any other EU nationals who have married to a Norwegian person and facing the same problem.

I am from the UK and I married to my Norwegian husband last year. I would like to attend a Norwegian course. It is said that the spouse of a Norwegian Citizen can study Norwegian free of charge. But the reality seems to be that we need to apply to a "family reunion"  visa in order to register onto these free courses.

It doesn't make any sense since the family reunification visa is for those who come from outside the EU in order to come over to Norway, which doesn't apply to EU citizens. I just feel it's a complete waste of money to apply this necessary visa. And without this visa, the Norwegian course is not free, even if I have married to a Norwegian and I intend to live and work in this country for a very long time. Yet NAV, UDI, local council or passing the ball to each other and no one can provide a clear answer why a marriage certificate is not sufficient enough to prove that I am a spouse, and should be eligible to enjoy this benefit.

Is there anyone else in the same situation? What did you do? Or should I just give up this all silly thing and teach myself at home.

I wish you good luck :) x

Oxford to Oslo wrote:

How are you getting on with the language? I am finding it very difficult to learn even though my BF is Norwegian.
I have found this language to be the hardest to pick up out of all european languages... is it just me? :s

x

I'm finding it easier than Icelandic or German, possibly because having learned both of those, Norwegian is very related. My problem is just that I work for a non Norwegian company with no Norwegian colleagues, and I live with a German, so I have limited language practice abilities. At least reading all the official letters I've received related to registration, basic tax info, and driving license has been pretty easy.

ECS wrote:
Oxford to Oslo wrote:

x

I'm finding it easier than Icelandic or German, possibly because having learned both of those, Norwegian is very related. My problem is just that I work for a non Norwegian company with no Norwegian colleagues, and I live with a German, so I have limited language practice abilities. At least reading all the official letters I've received related to registration, basic tax info, and driving license has been pretty easy.

Oh Wow you have learnt many languages :)   How have you found in making norwegain friends? I find friends of my bf very friendly but strangers are not so willing to engage in coversation...

Thank the lord for Expat.com lol...

Hi! When I arrived in Norway as an EU citizen, I had to apply for Visas however I am not married. I did get the language courses for free and I found UDI very helpful, I would follow the info from them :)

It is perhaps even thou' you are married you see not resident and this is why you have to apply for Visa!

No point in paying for course when you can get it for free, the paperwork is minimal :)

deemobs wrote:

Hi! When I arrived in Norway as an EU citizen, I had to apply for Visas however I am not married. I did get the language courses for free and I found UDI very helpful, I would follow the info from them :)

What country are you from? Me and my (unmarried) partner didn't have to do visas. He's German, I've got Icelandic citizenship, and both of us had to pay. We are here for work reasons.

I am from Ireland and my fiancé is Norwegian..  I didn't have job at time however even after I got job, I had I continue applying for Visa every year until I got the extended visa.

I am a British citizen and marriage to a Norwegian with two kids both born in the United Kingdom but have a Norwegian passport. We recently move here in Norway but am finding it sooo difficult to register here as an EU citizen. Things seems to be so complicated and difficult with no clear information from the authorities it seems. When my wife came to England to study many years ago, all she needed was a national insurance number to get started it cost absolutely nothing therefore I don't understand why it's like this on the other hand. I am having an interview with my local authorities here in Molde so if anything positive comes up I will surely give you some tips too... Wish me luck as one of the Norwegian language courses is starting end of this month.

Babseen78 wrote:

I am a British citizen and marriage to a Norwegian with two kids both born in the United Kingdom but have a Norwegian passport. We recently move here in Norway but am finding it sooo difficult to register here as an EU citizen. Things seems to be so complicated and difficult with no clear information from the authorities it seems. When my wife came to England to study many years ago, all she needed was a national insurance number to get started it cost absolutely nothing therefore I don't understand why it's like this on the other hand. I am having an interview with my local authorities here in Molde so if anything positive comes up I will surely give you some tips too... Wish me luck as one of the Norwegian language courses is starting end of this month.

Hey,

I've found this whilst checking about my stay in Norway and hope you will find it helpful.

Residence in Norway

British citizens need not apply for a residence permit, but must register themselves on arrival if they are planning to reside in Norway. If you have received a firm offer of employment in Norway, you need to apply for a personal number at the local police station or via one of the service centres for foreign workers located in Oslo, Stavanger and Kirkenes.

British Nationals are free to enter Norway for up to 6 months to look for work or set up a business. If you do not manage to establish yourself within the 6 month period, but are still financially stable, you may be able to remain in Norway.

Norwegian personal numbers are issued by the local people register (Folkeregister) and must be applied for after receiving your residence permit from the police. You will also need this personal number to be able to open a bank account in Norway. For more information please see the website of the Norwegian Directorate of immigration.

Your residence in Norway must be lawful and in order to become a member of Norwegian National Insurance, you must intend to stay here for more than 12 months. If you have a strong tie to the country and will be here between 3 and 12 months, you can apply for voluntary membership.

And best of luck for the Language course, I'm looking at doing one starting in September :)

Hi Willow Lin,

I am currently in a similar situation. I am a british citizen who is currently living with my norwegian fiance. We would like to get married very soon an after my research i have found that if i dont apply for the family reunion visa, i could potentially be denied free norwegian courses.

Any help would be very much apprecaited!

AYAROSKHOD wrote:

Hi Willow Lin,

I am currently in a similar situation. I am a british citizen who is currently living with my norwegian fiance. We would like to get married very soon an after my research i have found that if i dont apply for the family reunion visa, i could potentially be denied free norwegian courses.

Yes that is correct. Spouses of Norwegian citizens are entitled to Right and Obligation for the Norwegian courses. 550hrs Norskkurs + 50hrs Samfunnkunnskap = R&P

AYAROSKHOD wrote:

Hi Willow Lin,

That is true, BUT if your first permit is family unification, you need 6 years and an A1 pass for oral
before you can be eligible for permanent residence.  Unless you have A2 pass for all the tests in norwegian then you may apply earlier than 6 years.  In addition, I think now they added a condition of minimum income if you are using family unification to apply for permanent residency.  it has to be your OWN income and not including your spouse income.

Family reunification fees is increasing EVERY year.  This year new application is 10500 kr.  That is really high. 

You need to consider all aspects.