English speaking children get introduced to Norwegian schooling

How do English speaking children get introduced to Norwegian schooling. I cannot afford paying R16000 NOK  per month for International Schooling in Stavanger...My daughter is 9 and only speaks English ..any advise?

Hi nicci lindesay,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I created a new topic as from your post on the Norway forum.

Hi,

I am moving my 2 English speaking children here in July aged 9 and 10, they are going to attend the local school but will receive lessons in English plus extra Norwegian lessons until they have sufficient Norwegian to be taught in Norwegian.

I would contact the local school where you are going to live. I'm in Nordland so I would imagine that it is a little easier to sort English language schooling in the south.

I'm unsure if it makes any difference coming from an EU or EEA country as to the rest of the world.

Norway must provide native language schooling to pupils who's mother tongue isn't Norwegian or Sami.

https://www.narvik.kommune.no/artikkel. … mp;eid=251

Hey Nicci,

You should insist your child is sent straight into the normal norwegian school. The school will give her free extra norwegian lessons where she´ll have a teacher all to herself once or twice a week until she no longer needs it. Don´t accept "mother tongue english lessons" as she´ll just end up teaching the teacher english:-) She´ll be bored to death and be doing 1st grade level second language english. Norwegian has a lot of afrikaans related words that she´ll already know even if she finds the spelling and pronunciation slightly different. The teachers will use english to explain when she needs help in class until she understands fully. She´ll also be way ahead curriculumwise as norwegian schooling is less demanding at this age. Do not under any circumstances accept the invitation to norwegian schooling for immigrants. She doesn´t need it at her age and it will only slow her  down.You do not have to accept it. In the meantime go to (nrksuper.no) and have her watch the shows and play games to familiarise her with norsk. Within 3 months my kid spoke norsk and was helping translate for me when shopping:-). She started school without knowing a single word of norsk.

Hi,
This is Manish from India and i would soon be moving to Norway-Stavanger. I have a kid who is close to 3 years.
Could you please guide me about difference between public schools and private schools in stavanger.
I have also heard public school education is free but one problem that my child can encounter is language. Is curriculum in English or nowegian?
I know he will enter kindergarten but could you give me an idea of environment of free public schools...like language spoken...curriculum etc etc...
or do i have to settle with expensive private schools like international school of stavanger, and british international school of stavanger...
Also, if you give me an idea of the tuituon fees of international school of stavanger and biss.
Thanks & Regards

Hi, I would like to do a masters degree in Norway and would like to take my 13 year old daughter with me. What are the possibilities that I move there with her on a scholar ship? Also what are her chances in learning norsk in the 8th/9th grade?

Any help you can give me or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.nyinorge.no/en/Ny-i-Norge-ve … y-schools/

Thank you so much! This site has been very helpful!