Information on Nairobi

Hi all - I will be in Nairobi for 3 months from the end of February 2013 and need information on accommodation for myself to entertainment, things to do on weekends, places to visit, do's and dont's etc. Would also appreciate some info on a Gym to join and cycling in Nairobi. Thanks.

Hi Dcostan

Welcome to Nairobi, am sure you will enjoy yourself.
Accommodation will depend on how much you are willing to spend, if you will have a car to commute, are you looking for an apartment or house. The westlands area has lots of entertainment and is easy to commute to and from town. Supermarkets and malls are all close by and there are gyms around that area and in the malls as well.

Activities over the weekend depends on what you like to do. I like more sporty activities so i can tell you about those, I do some road cycling over the weekends in the morning you could join in, I usually attend some sporting activities that H&A sports offers, they have a good crowd and its fun. In April they have a triathlon you should think of attending that. Anyway they have a website you can check out www.hnasports.co.ke.

The do's and don't of Nairobi are pretty the same as in all other countries. Be careful when travelling at night, don't carry on you loads of money and flashy jewelry, people are pretty helpful don't be afraid to ask for help. If someone seem suspicious its best to follow your gut and keep away from them. You will probably get ripped off the first couple of times, but ask around compare prices before you know it you'll be familiar with everything.

Enjoy your stay!