Living in Kenya

Hi, im going to do a internship in Nairobi next year and i would like to know if it is to risky to live by my self... i've heard it is not recomended to move by my self, specially if i don't know to well the city.
Im going to be working in the UN installations and i don't have a clue about where it would be safe to live, hopefully close to work.
Also, any information about how would be the daily life for a foreign girl, new in town :) meaning if it is safe to move by my own, use the bus, going for a walk, etc, will be well received.

Thanks you so much.

Julaila wrote:

Hi, im going to do a internship in Nairobi next year and i would like to know if it is to risky to live by my self... i've heard it is not recomended to move by my self, specially if i don't know to well the city.
Im going to be working in the UN installations and i don't have a clue about where it would be safe to live, hopefully close to work.
Also, any information about how would be the daily life for a foreign girl, new in town :) meaning if it is safe to move by my own, use the bus, going for a walk, etc, will be well received.

Thanks you so much.

Hello jambo from japan Tokyo

Hi
Don't worry but don't feel so secure. Nairobi can be a safe place for you but you will have to choose your neighbours and please do have friends from work to help you get used to the city.

If you have specific questions do not hesitate to ask me.

Hi, Go to the UN staffers for help.  They have bulletin boards and special staff to help you UN connected personal get settled.  They can suggest a nice guesthouse near the UN to stay at until you find a suitable place. 

Be careful following replies posted to your questions-many are adds or posts by less than honest people.

I agree with paulat-- don't trust everyone! Although I have lived alone in the U.S. for more than 10 years, I still think it's a better idea to have a roommate/flatmate here in Nairobi. Consider that someone will know where you are, where you're supposed to be, if you're safe, besides your employer/office. For your friends/family back home, and you, it's good to know how to track you down. You don't need to prove how independent you are-- you're already going far from home! You'll save $$ with a roommate, and when you're in a new city where you know 0 people, the company can be nice too, of course!

Julaila wrote:

Thanks you so much.

Hi Julaila,

Its been like 2 months for me now. Where are you staying currently ?. Westlands, Langata , Lavington , Kolobot Drive (Stat House Road) are all good places to stay. I am staying at the Kolobot Drive and there are quite a few UN employees staying in my apartments.

Daily life is pretty safe during the day. Avoid going out in the night alone. In a group, no problems at all.

Matatus (local bus) are safe although a bit rash in their driving. You can always go for a nice walk or a jog during the mornings.

Local people are warm and very helpful. Like any other city one needs to be street-smart thats all !! My stay as of now has been pretty good expecially the weather part.

Call me on 0732591413...We can catch up !!!!

Rajeev

Hello,
   For anyone who is looking for accommodation around Gigiri, there is a beautifully furnished 2bedroomed house in Runda renting at Ksh.90,000/-.  If interested email me and I can send you pics. Regards.  Kessy

Hi Kessy!

You should also post your message on the following link:

https://www.expat.com/en/classifieds/africa/kenya/

All the Best!

Sheetul.

Nairobi is generally a safe place to live in

Nairobi is generally a safe place to live in

Nairobi is not so dangerous if you are a little bit careful.

Hi,i'm Mary looking for a job as a housekeeper/nanny i can cook too i've worked for expartriate families for over 10yrs my contacts are 0721733617 thanks

Hi Mary,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

Please note that this thread is dated 2010

You should post your resume in the Personal and household services jobs in Nairobi section please. It might help :)

Best of luck to you

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

hi there,
i hope you found out by yourself that the city was fine nd good