Here at last!

Hi
Well, we've arrived at last and we're settling in quite well!  Got an apartment, Internet installed and a local sim card so we're almost there. Bahrain is as friendly as you all said it would be.. Now I just need to find a social life! Visited the Dilmun Club and British club today but do any of you have any other ideas? With 3 small kids I think it's going to prove a little more difficult than I'd expected. I'm also looking for exciting things to do with my kids ... All ideas welcome!
I'm also hiring a car tomorrow but the roads look a bit scary and I can't find a road map? I'd love a satnav but haven't seen anyone using one so far... Are they not used that much here? I'm spending a fortune using taxis so driving is a must ;(
Looking forward to meeting you all as you've been a great help in the build up to 'the big move to Bahrain' ;)

If you go to Bahrain City Centre shopping mall, go the second floor. There is an electronics store there called Sharaf DG. They sell plenty of GPS devices there. Alternatively, check with the car rental to see if they have a car which has a Satnav builtin. Some of them do.

Again, with the kids, you can go to the shopping mall(s) or Elite Seef Residence hotel in Seef. They have a swimming pool for kids as well as adults.

May I ask how did you enter Dilmun club without being a member? Did you already have someone who could let you in? Just curious and if this is the case, well done you've already found people who helps you here in Bahrain.

Finally I am glad you're settling in. Let us know if you need anything else.

Hi Brightonguy
I just turned up at the Dilmun club and asked to look around. Let us in no probs, unlike the Brit Club. I explained we don't know anyone to sponsor our membership but they said we could just write a covering letter if we wanted to join explaining the situation.
Thanks for the info regarding satnav etc.. I'll go exploring this weekend, although I'm finding the roads pretty scary still!

Hi Nicola302004,

Welcome to this small island of Bahrain. I hope you will like it here. ;)

Bahrain is a small place and you can get from one side of the island to the other in 15mins or less! As you drive in Bahrain, you will get used to the roads and in no time, know how to get from A to B easily. :) You will tend to remember routes alot easily than you think. So dont despair if you're still looking for a GPS device, driving here is like motorway or dual carriage way driving in the UK (well for main roads). Other than that, just go with the flow as you take on the roads of Bahrain. :)

Jaz :cool:

Thanks Jazzy851, you're so right. I've been lost so often now that I'm starting to recognise my way home! I bought a gps but it's not that helpful unless I have the full street address... Which I rarely do. It's all good fun driving here though..l the roads are mad! Loving it ;)

Exactly where could I find this particular Weblog platform FOR https://www.expat.com ? regards!

Hi Nicola

If you need help sponsoring your application at the Dilmun, ask the receptionist to sign you in on a Sunday Evening at the Candles restaurant dinner and take your form with you - always someone from the comittee there to sign for you. I can counter sign if you inbox me.

The country club is great and you don't have to join to be able to get in. Just turn up with your driving licence and off you go. Only food and drink though - no activities unless you are a member.

Bowling, swimming and cinema are all in city mall for the kids, plus big indoor play area and mini funfair

Good luck

Jo