New start in Bahrain

Hey all,

I am arriving in Bahrain next month to teach in an International School for a year and I am really looking forward to it!

I am adaptable and I welcome change, but the Middle East is a part of the world that was not in my list of "places I want to live in for some time", so I don't know quite what to expect!

I am reading positive things though, and as days go by I am getting more excited about moving there. And hopefully I will have the opportunity to do some travelling around and meet interesting people :)

Oh, and no matter how used I am to hot and humid climates,  something tells me that Bahrain in August is going to be another thing all together..
Well, I guess I will find out first-hand in a month!

Hello Nicky83.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Hi Nicky … Welcome to the forum and in Advance Welcome to Bahrain :)

I'm quite confident that the whole trip to Bahrain is going to be a very exciting trip that will add a lot to your life experience and broaden your views.

Totally agree with you; working in Bahrain will give you the opportunity to go around and explore other Middle Eastern Countries which are just a few minutes flight away from you; in addition to being surrounded with people from all over the world; getting to know different habits, traditions and different ways of thinking as well as different ways of living life.

So in response to your question of what to expect? I would say Expect Amazing Experience ;):whistle:

Talking about the weather, I would not say anything; as its always good to feel it not to say it :D:P:joking:

I hope the warm welcome of other members on the forum will cheer you up and make you more exciting to come to Bahrain earlier than you planned date :D:cheers:

Good Luck & All the Best :)

Hello Nicky,

Having been in Bahrain for only 3 weeks so far, I have to say I am enjoying it. It's good that you are coming after Ramadan which is started today as the life pauses here for a month and then carries on as usual after Ramadan.

Bahrain is going to surprise you in many ways. You will love people, they are polite. You will love the country as it is full of surprises. You will love the shopping mall as they are of a huge variety. But best of all, you will love the tolerance and respect towards expats by the locals here.

It's not all perfect here of course. The weather in summer is something else but, depending on where you will be coming from, you should think positive and enjoy the sunshine all year round. I came from the UK and after the miserable weather we have been having there, I realised how much my body needed the sunshine.

You're always welcome to ask any questions you may have. There are plenty of friendly people here in this forum who I'm sure will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Good luck with your move!

Will be looking forward to your arrival

Hello all, and thank you for the warm welcome! :)

VidoDido,
yes I am very excited about moving there and I am sure it will be an interesting experience. I want to live in many different countries and experience different cultures from the inside, not just travel around as a tourist. I like getting out of my comfort zone, and studying or working abroad certainly broadens your horizons and makes you grow as a person :)

brightonguy,
I am glad you are having positive first impressions :) Yes I have read about the Ramadan month and how expatriates are expected to behave during it.
I am sure I will enjoy the weather in the months from October to May, I lived in the UK for the last 2 years and sunshine will be a nice alternative to the rain and moody skies! Though I am sure I will miss the greenery and landscapes.. but I welcome the change!

The friendliness of the people here in the forum is reassuring, and I am looking forward to all the small and big surprises awaiting me there.

As for questions... I will be living in the Amwaj island area. The only means of transport would be leasing a car?

Cheers

You can lease a car or hire a driver which can take you and off work. Alternatively you can have maid who lives with you and also drives you and from work. It all depends on your lifestyle, budget, how much you want to spend and save. But forget public transport. It does not exist the way you would be used to.

Nicky83 wrote:

As for questions... I will be living in the Amwaj island area. The only means of transport would be leasing a car?

Cheers

Hi Nicky,

Let me bring you some good news, there is a quite large Greek community living in Amwaj Island in addition to other expat's communities living there. I think you won't feel lonely or homesick while living in Bahrain ;)

Yup leasing a car is a very essential matter as it will give you the opportunity to explore Bahrain and gives you the freedom while moving from a place to another. Economically, its more effective as it will save you the hassle and the money paid for taxis which might be more than what you will pay to lease a car. For about 150-180BD a month you could get a good car to drive.

Na Perasis Kala :)

Γεια!!!

Με λένε Δέσποινα και ζω τον τελευταίο χρόνο στο Μπαχρέιν και συγκεκριμένα στη Ριφα. Δουλεύω και εγώ σε International School. Πράγματι υπάρχει μια "μικρή" ελληνική κοινότητα στο Amwaj οπότε δεν νομίζω ότι θα αισθανθείς μοναξιά. Θα χαρώ πολύ να βρεθούμε όταν κατέβεις στο Μπαχρέιν. Εγώ επιστρέφω στις 24 Αυγούστου.

Φιλικά
Δέσποινα

The English (Google) translation of the Greek comment:

Hello!

My name is Despina and I live in the past year and particularly in Bahrain Riffa. I'm working at International School. Indeed there is a "small" Greek community on Amwaj so I do not think you will feel lonely. I will be glad to be when you come down in Bahrain. I return on August 24.

amicably
matron

@brightonguy.

Thank you for the translation. :D

------------------

@zachoulis - Can you please write in english on this Anglophone forum so that other members may understand? ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

VidoDido wrote:

Na Perasis Kala :)

Se euxaristo polu :)
Also, thank you guys for the suggestions about leasing a car, I think I will go with that after all.
Looking forward to my arrival now, and checking everything out for myself!

Another question that popped in my head, what about gyms in Manama? I mean, are there facilities with machines, treadmills etc, and the occasional work-out classes?
All I have seen so far, is private clubs and other facilities for sports.

@zachoulis,
thanks for the info, would be nice to meet you!

Nicky83 wrote:

Another question that popped in my head, what about gyms in Manama? I mean, are there facilities with machines, treadmills etc, and the occasional work-out classes?
All I have seen so far, is private clubs and other facilities for sports.

Most of the fully furnished apartments in any compound or building are having its own facilities/health club which includes Gym and Swimming Pool. But in case these facilities are not available where you intend to stay, you may register at any health club/Gym near by you and use its facilities during your free time, there are many out there :)