HELP!! Travelling in Beijing and Shanghair 30th July- 8th August

Hello,

I'm currently in Hangzhou teaching English at summer camps and i finish on the 29th of july. Before I fly back to England I'd really like to go to Beijing - and do all the touristy bits and see shanghai (I'm flying from shanghai 9th august so a few days there would be nice too maybe from the 4th or 5th). My mandarin is very poor so getting around is a struggle unless I'm at the school. If anyone would be willing to help me out, show me around, help me find hostels to stay at I'd be so so grateful!

thanks

Becky

I would love to help, but unfortunately I'm only free time on weekends. If you need someone to show you around Beijing, maybe I can be of some help.

selvesinchina wrote:

Hello,

I'm currently in Hangzhou teaching English at summer camps and i finish on the 29th of july. Before I fly back to England I'd really like to go to Beijing - and do all the touristy bits and see shanghai (I'm flying from shanghai 9th august so a few days there would be nice too maybe from the 4th or 5th). My mandarin is very poor so getting around is a struggle unless I'm at the school. If anyone would be willing to help me out, show me around, help me find hostels to stay at I'd be so so grateful!

thanks

Becky

Hi Becky,
Try taking the high speed rail. its cheaper and no risks of delays at the airport. You could do all the bookings in Hangzhou with your school help.
Staying in Beijing will be quite costly, but there are cheap hotels below RMB200 around. Better ones are about RMB300.
You could try staying near the smaller imperial garden 紫竹院 of Beijing and use the old waterways to get to the bigger garden 颐和园。
Subways are the best way to travel in Beijing as in any big cities around the world. Get a map from the Hotel front desk as it is free.
Most important thing is to get a local mobile prepaid to avoid costly roaming charges.
Enjoy your stay in Beijing. Drop me a line if you needed help.

Thank you both for your advice! I think I'll travel by train and ive found some decent/cheap hostels too.

Any tips on where to go/what to avoid in beijing and shanghai? Im travelling by myself so safety is top priority even though china is relatively very safe compared to some places!

thanks

selvesinchina wrote:

Thank you both for your advice! I think I'll travel by train and ive found some decent/cheap hostels too.

Any tips on where to go/what to avoid in beijing and shanghai? Im travelling by myself so safety is top priority even though china is relatively very safe compared to some places!

thanks

Places of interest in Beijing has plenty. Check out the map and guide online and you will see that you cannot miss the Forbidden City which is the only in the world.
The Imperial Garden and of course the 13th century jade piece and largest so far 3.5 tons in the old Yuan Dynasty Imperial grounds.
There is also the Great Wall and the Ming Dynasty Imperial Tombs cluster and the hot spring resort in the same area.
The TianAnMen Square of the 1989 Jun 4, Revolution.
1900 Boxers Rebellion Relics

Food Wise, Peking Duck! Dong Lai Shun steamboat etc.

Enjoy!