Laptops

So I am moving to Jeddah in August and I need a new laptop.  Should I buy on here in the Uk or wait until I arrive in Jeddah.  I am thinking here would be better because then I can transfer all my documents and get skype etc up and running but if it is going to be a lot cheaper or I need a certain laptop to work out there maybe I would be better waiting.  Guidance much appreciated.

Thanks, Claire.

Download this zip file. It's a PDF catalog from a leading KSA dealer 'Jarir Book Store'. You'll get a good idea on specs vs prices in KSA.

http://download.myjarir.com/catalog/jar … ePrint.zip

I believe electronics in Scotland must be cheaper than in KSA.

The problem here is that nothing ever goes on sale!  I mean, Jarir makes it a big deal to lower the price stinkin' 25SAR!!  In the USA, a 'sale' is 50% off :lol:

But do consider there's no taxes in KSA. 

I was in the exact same situation before I came here, clairey5.  What I did was to buy the best laptop I could readily afford (a $1500 DELL) because I figured I wouldn't have any problems with it the period of time I'd be in KSA (and I haven't).

The issue, for me, about buying KSA or at home was the warranty.

Perfect, thanks.  I have had a dell since uni and it has served me well so I though about doing the same thing. 

:-)

So you think things will be cheaper here?? I as also thinking about going all out and buying an iphone since my contract in Scotland is up.  I was intending waiting until I arrived in jeddah, do you think I should?  Can you get contract phones out there?  Good deals? Thanks

I find the electronics are all of fairly similar price to UK, but as Allie said deals on prices are not all that mind blowing ...

With prepay phone services we fnd it dead cheap, we hardly use 50riyal between the to of us. But we also make good use of whats app etc.

Technically you cannot get a sim card here till you get your iqama, but thats not to say they you wont get get one - don't know if it is the same with buying the actual phone or laptop - internet you can get from the compound, which I am assuming you are going to be staying in.

You can get a factory unlocked iphone from the uk and it will work perfectly fine here in KSA. The variance in price is very minimal now on the iphones(unless there is a mega sale on uk iphones). Only difference would be on the warranty you would get here (if you buy and use locally) as compared to International warranty (buy in UK but use in KSA).

But why buy an iphone now when the new one is just round the corner.

agent47 wrote:

You can get a factory unlocked iphone from the uk and it will work perfectly fine here in KSA. The variance in price is very minimal now on the iphones(unless there is a mega sale on uk iphones). Only difference would be on the warranty you would get here (if you buy and use locally) as compared to International warranty (buy in UK but use in KSA).

But why buy an iphone now when the new one is just round the corner.

I found iPhone, in specific, expensive in UK always.
4G-16GB is £500 (~3,000 SAR) and over here it's 2,500. So 20% price difference. (Taxes?)

Yes, iPhone5 expected in 2012 quarter 4. Worth the wait :)

I think it'd be a better idea to buy all your electronics from a country where you are residing. Why ? because if you ever have a problem at least you can go back to the person who you bought it off..

my personal preferences. not that there is a lot that goes wrong but in any case..

saad.khans wrote:

I think it'd be a better idea to buy all your electronics from a country where you are residing. Why?

Only All *portable* electronics @saad.khans :)

Agreed, things can go wrong. My personal experience is similar: First ever iPad and iPhone had to be returned due to manufacturing problems.

Having lived in both, Saudi and UK, I'd suggest you get all your electrical gadgets before you leave. It may be a bit cheaper in Saudi, but the whole experience of buying and customer service is much better in the UK than in Saudi. Plus you don't have to go through the hassle of gadget shopping when you can use that time to settle down with things you are already comfortable with.

Contract phones are not that popular like in the UK. The whole concept has only just started with the high-end smart phones like the iPhone.

if you intend buying a dell from UK and then taking it to Saudi, you can check with Dell if you can transfer the warranty?

Also with the iphone, if it works out cheaper in UK and you take it to Saudi, so long as you look after the device, not drop it, get a really decent cover/case for it, make sure to avoid water damage then i feel it should last.

As hishmaj mentioned the customer service tends to be better in the UK than the gulf. I for one went through a lot of hassle to get an iphone fixed that i purchased in Bahrain and was still under warranty. It took me almost 1 week to convince the outlet it wasnt working and they passed me back and forth to a few places..alot of time wasted and one angry customer :o:o:o Apple doesnt really exist here, well not in Bahrain. :( not sure about Saudi.

Jaz :cool:

jazzy851 wrote:

they passed me back and forth to a few places..alot of time wasted and one angry customer

This sure rings a bell--they'll spend more time trying to get rid of you than it would take to actually correct the problem!!

I waited ten days before I got my hands on my Dell Latitude (official laptop).. The most difficult ten days of my life.. Was browsing and checking mails on my Nokia mobile, which is not very easy. I felt like I should have carried my Dell Inspiron from India.

I visited a mobile service outlet of a popular saudi cellular service provider to inquire about a contract on a Samsung Galaxy S2. It had a very tempting offer going on at that time with all the free minutes and data package etc for a very affordable amount of monthly charge package.

However I was told the advertised offer was just for Saudi Nationals. Not for Expats.

My reaction was something similar:
http://i49.tinypic.com/j0jzpf.png