Healthcare in Gibraltar

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Gibraltar ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Gibraltar?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Gibraltar has a very good public health service which is available free to residents and frontier workers.
Prescription charges are £2.50 for each item up to 3 items, over 3 they are free.

There are also a number of private clinics.

thanks for your post GrumpyOldMan !

Hi!

And what about the people who have not got job in Gibraltar?
Have they any opportunity to pay for the full healthcare until they have got job? How much is it per month?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Zoltan

If you are an EU citizen you should be entitled to a European Health Card from your mother country.
This will entitle you to emergency health care anywhere in Europe.
This care would be available in Gibraltar or Spain while you look for work.
The private clinics will also treat anyone on a Pay Per Visit basis.

Thank you very much!

Another question..
If I terminate my health care system in my country I wont entitle to the European Health Card.
My country has minimum amount what we must pay for the care system per month.No matter whether you are unemployed or working in...
Is there any minimum amount what I must pay/month to  become entitle to Health Care System if I -still- unemployed?

Thank you very much!
Regards,
Zoltan

Hi Zoltan to the best of my knowledge there is no method for paying for government healthcare

Dear GrumpyOldMan!

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Zoltan

Hi Grumpy,
if I do not get resident status as I am retired and I wont be working - do I qualify for the Gib "NHS"?

Nick.

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

To anyone interested: I now know that to qualify for the Gib NHS you have to be a Gibraltarian  or working there, or a family member of a worker. If like me you are retired but not working you don't qualify.