Import car from UK to Gibraltar

#1 13 December 2009 12:06:10

Luckynumber9
Luckynumber9
Amsterdam

Import car from UK to Gibraltar

Hi all Gibraltar lovers,

who has experience in field of importing a used car (5-7 years old) from UK to Gibraltar?
I'd like to know all about costs involved in this process and can I do this as a part time car dealer job? (import car and resale it in Gibraltar)
Thank you

#2 20 January 2010 22:59:23

gbrads1980
gbrads1980
Gibraltar

Re: Import car from UK to Gibraltar

I imported my car to Gibraltar, it was an 02 registered citroen picasso.

Cost me about £500 all in all.

Give me a shout if you need a hand.

Wouldnt do it as a job though, Right Hand Drive cards arent exactly in demand here, and LHD cars in spain are more expensive than cars in Gibraltar.

#4 22 February 2011 20:04:04

kfbphoto
kfbphoto
Gibraltar

You cant import a car into Gibraltar unless you have a residents permit. You could if you heve a very good friend who is resident ' sell ' the vehicle to them and then the vehicle will need a Gib MOT and G reg plates. Import is 12% ish of the value, plus Mot.
You would of course no longer be the owner and arrangements would be needed for insurance. Photowriter

#5 15 January 2012 14:32:16

queshulo

kfbphoto - not too sure where you got your information from.  Having recently imported a car in Gib I can confirm that firstly, you do not need a residents permit ot ID card.  Also importation is not 12% but is 30% and customs determine the value of the vehicle.

#6 16 January 2012 12:14:10

roughseasinthemed

I don't know where kfbphoto got their info from but they are not wrong, however the rate of duty varies. [I should have said I can't comment on the practice of selling to a good friend of course]

(One of) my blog (s) comes up top of a google search for importing a vehicle into gib, and I did an update on the excise duty here.   Unless things have changed, I give the varying rates of duty which are dependent on new or second hand vehicle, and engine size. 

We imported our vehicle four years ago and DID need to produce a resident's card.  However if that has changed it would be helpful to know, or how you managed without the card?

As for working as a part-time second-hand car dealer in Gibraltar - that's not exactly easy unless you live in Gib.  It isn't that easy if you do.  Either way you would need to register your business in Gibraltar.

I've answered these in reverse order, sorry about that, but there is no multi-quote (unless I have missed it). 

As for shipping or driving down, we drove down. It's pretty easy, people do it all the time just for holidays.

Last edited by roughseasinthemed (16 January 2012 12:33:16)

Expatriate health insurance Gibraltar
Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Gibraltar.
>> Click here
Expat banking Gibraltar
Discover the benefits of expat banking for people living and working abroad.
>> Click here
Moving to Gibraltar
A few tips from professionals about moving to Gibraltar.
>> Click here
Travel insurance Gibraltar
Don't worry and travel happy across Gibraltar.
>> Click here