Obtaining permanent residence

If you want to stay in Ukraine with your wife.  Go to the Ukrainian Embassy in England and obtain a Visa D.  It is a 45 temporary visa.  Make sure all of your documents are accurate, and I mean precise,  Your marriage certificate has to be certified in Ukraine.and apostille here in Ukraine.  In  the city she lives they can do that or a service can provide that service for you.   When you get to Ukraine you will need to go with your wife and start the process of obtaining a one year temporary visa.  You can come and go on that visa and you will be able to obtain an internal passport which allows you to reside in the country.  Before the one year visa expires you will need to apply for another one year visa.  After two years of marriage you will be able to apply and receive a permanent resident visa.

The clock is ticking so apply for the one year visa prior to your 45 Visa D expiring.  It is madness, but your wife being Ukrainian knows how the system works.  When I did the process, I just let my wife do the talking and I just stayed quiet.  She may be required to make a donation at the local internal passport office.  So let her talk and keep quiet.   Do not disrupt the system, it is the way things work.  People have all different experiences, but I will tell you, let your wife talk to the locals.

I applied for my one year within a one week period of obtaining my Visa D and returning to Ukraine.  I did not have a bad experience besides the waiting.  But my wife took care of everything.

For my own experience it is different.  I am an American.  I was coming to Kharkov to Marry my wife.  She found out all of the documents I need to bring with me from California.  I arrived at the airport and received the 90 stamp in my passport.  We got married and prior to my 90 day period being expired we took all of our documents to Moldova to the Ukrainian Embassy and received my Visa D.  It was a crazy chance for if anything was wrong I would have had to return to the U.S. to get my documents.  But I made sure I had everything done correctly and received my Visa D in one day.  We returned to Kharkov and we went to the Internal passport office and submitted our documents.  Do your research, and have your wife double check all documents you need and what is required.  At one point we had to supply my wife owned a flat and it was my resident while I lived here.

Double check all that is required, make sure all of your documents are correct.  Make sure your documents match your name exactly in your British Passport.  Anything you Apostille in England, make sure you bring two of each document Apostille, just in case they lose anything. 

Good Luck and I wish you happiness with your new bride.  I have been happily married for many years with my wife, best thing I ever did was to marry my sweet wife.  Things are different here than where we came from.  So let your wife teach you about Ukraine, enjoy her family and the friends you will make.

Is there anyway to get a permanent residency in Ukraine without being married?  I have a US passport, own my own home & property in Ukraine, have a Ukrainian tax code but no type of visa.  Currently I have been going back & forth out of the country by paying a fine but I really would like to get my permanent residency.  Thank you for any advice!

not that I heard of ......

The only thing that I believe you can do is to obtain a visa D through investment.  I will send you a message, we can discuss through there.

Read here, very usefull topic  :)http://kydalov-partners.com/en/risks-fo … cy-permit/

Very helpful artical, thank you!

Id like to knkw what kind of papers should i prepare?or i must prepare?

american documents can ONLY be apostilled in the state that issued the document. I found out the hard way luky for me my worker in the states was willing get cert copies from county courts and drive to austin an 6 hour drive round trip then fedex to me same day other wise would have taken 3 weeks atleast 3-5 each way fedex then 10 day for mailed apostilled stamp.  when I showed up week later at passport office they was shocked and confused how can i do so fast

Tell me about your experience and how you like it
Thanks

??? I do not understand this all. I came to live here in 2007. In 2010, after expiring my possibilities to travel up and down between the Netherlands ans Ukraine, on advice of the Ukrainian embassador in Holland, we went to talk to foreign police in the place we live.
They explained, which documents we need to show and go to OVIR and get there first a stamp with proof of residency. My wife is Ukrainian and the appartment we live in is under her name and I am written in there with our children.
We went to OVIR, showed all documents, and the next day I had to come back to pick it up and went the same day to the foreign police in the  place we live and started procedure for my Permanent Residence Card.
1 week later it was ready, I had to pay 200 uah for administration and received my paperwork and since 2010 I am Permanent Resident in Ukraine. It costed me a total of 250 uah, including travel to OVIR in Kiev and 2 weeks of time totally to receive all documents, without bribing someone over. Documents we showed to OVIR were marriage certificate(we married in Kiev in 1996) my passport with notarized and legalized translation of it into Ukrainian, proof of ownership of appartment by my wife and that's it.
2 passphoto's to give to the foreign police in our living place.
All I do read here, I never met....

If you have proof of owning resident in Ukraine and you have your tax ID, normally go to OVIR or the Foreign Police and ask what procedure counts for you and how to get your Permanent Residence. Ofcourse, you need to talk Ukrainian. If you are not able to, take your girlfriend or somebody else with you. Most important, normally discuss with them on normally tone and don't hang out the jerk. It is such behavior that will make people in OVIR and Foreign Police work against you and ask bribes. And really, tell the Ukrainian person to chill. Ukrainian have the habit to behave brutal and like jerks to anything administrative organs. When I am at the bank, police, etc.etc. They all yell at the people working there. No wonder they do not help them. I always stay calm and discuss with people my problems and try to find the solution. I treat the person I talk with as another human being. And believe me, administrative workers always help me without asking briberies or making my life difficult in anyway. And I must say, I am Dutchman, but I am also a coloured man, looking Asian in appearence. So treat other people, as you want to be treated, I would say. ;)

Hello,

I am going to apply for the residence card this month. I am very interested in your experiences to get it. How long does it take? I have read many different times. What is the fee? I have mostly seen on lawyer websites and they most likely raise the price for their services. Would I need a lawyer to do this? Where do I go to apply? And what documents are needed.
Looking forward to reading about your adventure.

Forget lawyers, they suck your money. You need to talk to 2 organisations: OVIR and Immigration Police Department which is located in the police office of your city.

Immigration Police normally will explain what for documents you need to go to OVIR, to get stamp of residency, that you are written in officially in a resident in Ukraine, probably with your Ukrainian partner. Fees will be small, I think max. 300 UAH or so, maybe prices did change.
Copy of Marriage certificate you need and it needs to be translated by official translator and acknowledged by notary.

when you did get your stamp from OVIR in your passport, you go back to Immigration Police and they will prepare your document, You need 2 passphotos and some copies. You pay the fee at the cash register(in my time it was 150 UAH, maybe price did change) and 1 week later you get your permanent PMG.

When your passport is expired, you need to renew stamp with OVIR and it is a free service.
My advice, laminate your PMG, so it stays in good conditions. i did not and OVIR gave me complainings about it and I had to request a new document with Immigration Police. Anyway, also the service to replace was for free.

Good luck.

Hello,Good Morning,I need to contact with you,for Obtaining Permanent Residence.Thank you

I'm a south African. Of Arab/Indian origin. I was born in south Africa. 5 th generation. Im married to a Ukraine lady from simferopol since may 2004. And have 2 kids. 10 year of and 9 year girl. We got Married in Ukraine under Islamic and then went to south Africa and got court married. She has south Africa citizen since 2009. I am planning to come to crimea. Given the current situation. How to I apply for Ukraine residence

You need to contact the Russians about Crimea.  You cannot obtain Ukrainian residency status there at all.

The Ukraine authorities can't help you, Crimea is under Russian control - occupied an annex illegally!!!!
So you need to go to either expat forum for Russia or speak to the Russian embassy in Souh Africa.
Good luck with your dream. I always wanted to visit Crimea but left it too late.

What if I decide to stay in Kiev.  What is the procedure  then

you go to the Ukrainian embassy page and read about D visas . Collect the documents you need. Go to the embassy and apply for D visa. come to Ukraine and you have 45 days to apply tor temp residence. There is quite a bit of paperwork you need to have in place. It is quite a quick process.

My father ,( 87 years old !) U.S.citizen ,2 years ago moved to Ukraine and got married to Ukrainian citizen.
Now he tells me that OVIR ask for proof of income ,that must be 20 times  cost of living.
In Ukrainian consulate in Spain I was told that this does not applied to the foreigners ,married to Ukrainians.
   Whom to believe?

Ovir asks for what: getting temporary residency?

Thanks for reply,
OVIR is asking to provide a proof of monthly income for permanent residence. ?!

gena wrote:

Thanks for reply,
OVIR is asking to provide a proof of monthly income for permanent residence. ?!

The consulate is right and ovir is wrong. In your farther's case he does not have to provide any proof of financing because he is married to a Ukrainian citizen longer than for 2 years. This is clearly stated in the Law of Ukraine On Immigration (article 9).

Thank You !

I am a retired British man ,I met a nice lady living in Odesa last January , I have visited her twice , so far we have spent 15 days together , I inted to visit again soon , we  email and Skype each other  2 or 3 times a week , she has a job and I am retired , we both want to be together in the near future , I would like to buy a property  in Odesa and live with her on a permanent basis , what do i need to do in order to get a visa and move to Odesa . the quickest and easiest way ,but the legal way .

Good afternoon.
I am too in the same sort of boat but I am on a few stages in front of you.
I will tell you what i know.
First you need to be married and its better to marry in Ukraine, much nicer, and the Rags in central Odessa is fab.
Then you need to apply for a D visa  :(  not so fab it costs £1464. 00 yes i did say £1464.00. you can apply on line.
Once you have your Visa D type you go back to the Ukraine and go to the Ovir and apply for a temporary visa. it lasts for one year, but before it runs out you apply again for another temporary visa, ( in Ukraine) cost about £200.

Hope that helps.

martin

Yes, I'd love to hear about your experience.  I am planning on moving there within the year and want to get an early start on all of the formalities that are required so that things will go smoothly.  I understand their are a lot of documents and need to be notarized and translated, which seems overwhelming.  I'd hate to get caught up in red tape once I arrive.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Are saying that one cannot get residency until 2 years after marriage?

I am very much interested in learning the process and of your experience.  Can I chat with you via WhatsApp?

yes thats ok by me. Feel free. or add me to skype ***  or ***

regards

martin

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello watchman!
Alan here.  I am hoping that with your experience you can give me good practical advice.
My fiance lives in Poltava.  We are hoping to marry soon after 6 years of getting to know one another.  I live in Florida, US of A.  She has never been to US and is unable to get a travel visa.  Our plans are to marry in Poltava and eventually to explore several locations in Central America to move full time to.  In our situation it is convenient for me to be able to travel back to Florida as I am semi-retired and am restoring 2 valuable automobiles.  So I am interested in knowing how it works for someone like myself to marry a Ukraine citizen.  Do I need to apply for some kind of residency?  Do I automatically receive some type of residency as her spouse?  Do I even need to worry about it all?
I would appreciate your input.
Thank you.
Alan

Hello Doug.
I just saw your post and thank you for the info.
I am in a similar situation with my fiance of 6 years who lives in Poltava.
I live in Florida and we are hoping to marry soon.  She is a wonderful woman who I dearly love and enjoy.  It sounds like the process is the reverse of having her come here to the US on the fiance visa.
I want to be with her and our son but also want to go back and forth as I am semi-retired and need to complete restoring 2 valuable automobiles.  We also want to travel to Central America and eventually find the location we desire and to become residents and purchase property for a small Bed and Breakfast Inn.  She has been unable to get a tourist visa to the US and it would be to our advantage for me to live with her in Ukraine.  As well as allowing us to travel together and finding where we eventually want to settle.  Too many stupid restrictions on travel to US now and who knows when and if it will improve.
So as you have said I would need to have her help me to get all of the documents together and then be ready when I go there and we get married to execute the needed visa requirements.  This is good information that I did not know before.  I thank you again Doug.
Anything else that I need to know please be free to contact me.
Alan

Hi Alan
Last mail almost same but i understand what you need.
First get married, have a nice holiday, Then you can do several things.
1. go back to USA and apply for a Visa D in the US.
2.Travel to Poland or any country you feel you or your wife can communicate in easy. Book your Visa D appointment, on line and fill it in with a digital photo. Your documents will all need to be notarised and translated into Ukrainian. This can be done in the Ukraine after your married, as you need a copy of the marriage certificate.   https://mfa.gov.ua/en/about-mfa/abroad/embassies/92 . this site will help you a lot. it takes a few days. Then re-enter Ukraine with your Visa D and go to the nearest Ovir near you and ask for Temporary residency visa. cost about 1600 uah. Thats it. do as you wish for the year. at 11 months re new it same cost. then its up to you. you can get another temp or apply for Residency.Which after two years of marriage you will be able to apply for.
Theirs nothing to worry about. My wife did most of the leg work, i didn't pay any extras and all was done fast and on time. My ouch was the visa D £1640.00. Thats just over 2000 US.

hope this helps a little, and good luck

martin

Hello Milo.
I have been following this post and you seem to be someone who can give me some help in what I want to do.
My fiance lives in Poltava and we have known each other since February 2013.  I have been together with her for short visits during this time and am a citizen of USA.  She unfortunately has not been able to get a tourist visa to come to the US to visit me.  We are planning on marrying in Poltava.  Our plans about bringing her to the US after this is now complicated by the health of her father.  He needs someone to daily help him as he just had to have his left leg amputated and is now in a lengthy recovery process.  So I am now planning on living in Poltava for months at a time and travel back to the US.  I am not ready to move permanently as I have some very valuable autos to complete restoring.  In addition it has been our plans to eventually move to a country in Central America such as Panama, Costa Rica or possibly Mexico.  It is also much easier for my fiance and her father to travel there rather then to the US even if we are married.  But then to become residents of the country we decide to call our home.  So what do you think based upon your experience will I need to do?
Thanks Milo.
Alv