2014 Process: From Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident

I am two years in Ukraine married and have renewed my Temporary Residence 2 times. I have to get Permanent Residence now as my second year of temporary residence is coming to an end.

I already spoke to a woman in Immigration Services and she said, "You have to go out border and come back in." --Something like that. She was not very helpful.

I searched online on legitimate sites and nothing really helpful.

Is anyone going thorugh the same thing this year 2014? Or maybe you just got Permanent Residence this year 2014?

Please, I want to hear from you as laws change in Ukraine I need help from people that are recently in this or have been in this situation.

I need to go from Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident? My Temporary Residency of 2 years is about to expire.
So, what is the next step? What is the process like? And what new documents are needed?

Thank you. Any help is very appreciated.

she means 'go get a D Visa.. come back.. and start the process.. you can visit any country that has a Ukraine embassy.. Moldova we used..closest... you need a apostle of your permanent resident address in the country you are from.. new rule last year..

thanks for the reply.

I already have the D visa, which I got to start the Temporary Resident process 2 years ago.

What exactly do you mean by "apostle"? Please explain. Thanks.

its a proof..of residence in your home country.. some government agency in your country should be able to certify your address..bring that document with you.. I know it sounds like nonsense.. why they need it.. who knows...I got one from my embassy in Kiev rather than fly all the way back home.. If you have an embassy represented in Kiev..maybe they can help you..

also..depending on your home  country you are coming from either they will need a local police check(Ukraine) for law infractions in the city you are currently living in now in Ukraine or you will have to submit a Interpol criminal background check document..

I got my residency card about a year ago so who knows what has changed since then.ask your ovir about what I mentioned to you.. before taking any actions..

by the way, about the D-Visa. I got  the visa D the first time for Temporary Residency, I don't think I need to go get it again if I got one in the first place?

It might be the D visa you had was for temp living.. there are sub categories for the D visa's .. maybe that's why she told you to cross the border.. the 45 day D visa starts when I got one and came back to Ukraine.. but it was for permanent living.. I'd clarify whether she wants you to get a new D visa for permanent living.. or just cross the border to restart the clock for the 45 days you need to get your permanent residence.. It took about 3 weeks once I got back into the country to actually get the residency card.. so 45 is usually enough time to receive all necessary docs.. but as you know Ukraine is in turmoil now.. who knows what it will take to process docs now..or the endless paperwork and paying little fees to the banks and bringing back little papers with blue stamps.. It brought us to tears sometimes with the nonsense paperwork.. They have some new rules about income and things like how you are going to support yourself from what I have read..   As you know.. things can change here..often..

Just curious, this is for the person who went to Moldova for their D Visa. How long was the process for you to receive your visa? What if one has all the paperwork completed, any idea how long it takes the consulate to complete the process?

If you are there in the morning when they open .. you'll have it before the embassy closes the same day...But make sure you go on a day they process D visa's

Thanks for the info ... ))

You file and obtain the immigration permit. Then go and return your temporary residency certificate.  Then you go abroad and get your visa D. Then you come to Ukraine, prepare and submit docs for abtaining a permanent residency certificate.

Interesting information. Thanks! I'm planning to marry a Ukrainian and spend part of the year there and part of the year in US.
Eventually more time or full time in Ukraine. I would like to pursue the resident visa.

She is wrong.  And please don't be surprised if you are told different things at each OVIR office even by different people in that same office.

I just finished my Permanent Residency in Sumy in March.  Started the process in October.  I did not get asked for or need an apostile of permanent residence address in America.  All they wanted was a certified copy and translation of the data page in my passport and the page you manually write your home address on.  After that it was going to Zhek to have the address you are registered at verified.

One thing that did strike me odd when I went back in March to get my permit and I provided yet again another copy of my passport and was told OVIR would again verify my address of registration.  So I came back in two weeks and picked up my permit.

As far as someone telling you about and apostile I would have to say NO. An apostile is the Secretary of State of your State that verifies that who ever notarized gov't document is authorized to do so.  An apostile of your home of record is not even something I would understand as WHO exactly at the County Recorder/Clerk of the Court would verify your HOR and notarize it.  The only time I had to deal with an apostile was with a copy of my divorce before getting married here in Ukraine.  So if you have been married for two years now or more I don't see the need for any more Apostile.

Hope this helps and Good Luck !!  Steve

Wrong.  The 45 day clock starts from the moment of issue.  You have 45 days to register with OVIR.  On day 46 you had better be out of the Ukraine.  It does not matter the reason of issuance for the Type D.  It is still 45 days to register with OVIR.  STRONLY suggest you do so immediately as it can take 4 or more weeks to get the temp permit of one year. You cannot be past 45 days prior to issuance of the permit.  There can be not gaps.

If you are already married to a national for two or more years you will be eligible for a permanent but will need the temp first as it can take 3 to 6 months to process the permanent.

Just finished all of this as of March 2014.

each ovir is different..what can I say.....

Congratulations!

She is full of S***.  With that being said each OVIR runs like they are thier own feudal system.

I just went through this.  You do NOT need to leave Ukraine to get a Permanent Residency Permit IF you already have a Temp.  A Type D Visa was required for you to get your temporary and has been so since March of 2012.  All you need to do is apply for your Permanent at LEAST 6 MONTHS BEFORE your temp expires.  That is the ONLY reason she can even begin to tell you what she did.  If you have less than 6 months on your current temp permit I strongly recommend you go to a Ukrainian Consulate OUTSIDE of the Ukraine and apply for another Type D visa.  After that I am sure you know the drill since you have been through the Type D before and have had to already deal with OVIR.

If I can be of further assistance please contact me.  Also go to a country that does not require you or your wife to have a visa.  All forms are in Ukrainian and you will need her assistance unless you read and write Ukrainian.

Best wishes, Steve

This is what I was told by the Donetsk immigrations;

You first need to be married for a min of 2 years, then you can apply for your 1 year temp res, after this and at about 5 weeks before it runs out you then apply for your permanent res and you may get it or not.

The process at first is long winded and very silly, I needed to visit 11 hospitals after purchasing my medical book which you keep, x-rays, blood tests, eye test, aids test, etc, I had to submit 24 pictures of my self and many of my wife, we had to have papers signed by the housing people to say that I can live with my wife in her own house and also her son had to sign as well giving me permission.

We then had to have all the papers notarized and translated in some cases and notarized.

All of this cost you cash.

We then waited for about 4 weeks to be called to Donetsk to get my temp papers, once you have this you can come and go from the country as you wish.

I need to be back in the Ukraine Donetsk by the 1st July to see what will happen regarding this matter, they made me complete 3 packets of papers one for this year, they have now said I may need to do more papers or have new photos submitted or may be not.

The hole thing is a fares, but one thing you must not do, and that's get angry with any of them as they will just throw your papers in the bin.  Expect top pay any thing from 2,000 to 5,000 grivna during the process.

Hope this helps and has not put you off, but due to the political situation in the Ukraine now I have no idea what is going to happen to me when I go back.

Regards

Trev

Steve is right, the best place to go is Istanbul, it took me 24 hours to get my Type D visa and only USD170.

Trev