Getting married in Cuba

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Cuba or who are about to get married in Cuba to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Cuba? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Cuba)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

My wife is a Cuban citizen, I am not. Getting married is a lengthy and not inexpensive process. For the Cuban partner it is comparitively simple, but for the foreign partner, copies of birth certificate, and previous marriage certificates, death certificate of a former married partner or divorce papers certified by the country of origin, have to be produced PLUS certified translations into Spanish. I was born in the UK,so my birth certificate had to go there for verification. My first wife died in Canada and her death certificate had to be verified in Ottawa -it took them two months the UK took ten days to verify and return my birth certificate but this reflects the efficiencies of the respective governments and Canada is usually lethargic.The marriage has to take place at an international notario's office and few cities in Cuba have them - obviously Havana does and so does Trinidad. Total costs including all recorded delivery postage, translations and fees exceeded $2,500. A great deal of tenacity is required, but marriage is a significant step and for us important. The Certificate of Marriage has to be certified by Minrex in Havana and also in our case by the Canadian Embassy in Havana.Accumulation of all the necessary documents took 4 months.

Hi MacDuff!

Thanks for your help!

Armand

What about a two  foreign tourists( from different countries) who visit Cuba? can get marry there ? how long doest it take ?

Casablanca I can only advise that the two people concerned should contact the Cuban Consulate in their respective countries of residence.

I believe for two non-Cubans getting married in Cuba is quite easy. Many tour operators can add this to your travel package and take care of all the details. Marrying a Cuban citizen on the other hand...not so easy. As MacDuff mentioned you need birth certificate, affidavit of single status (and divorce cert if applicable) translated and certified. These then have to be taken to your local Cuban consulate where you fork out a ton of money. Then you go down to Cuba, pay more money, get married. That's actually the easy part...the hard part is then sponsoring them to your country. Unless you plan to live in Cuba which is quite difficult to manage unless you're retired, independently wealthy or a journalist working there.

I have a blog about this entire process of meeting, falling in love with, marrying and sponsoring my Cuban husband to Canada. You can check it out at I Married The Pool Boy - imarriedthepoolboy.blogspot.ca/

I am reading all these blogs from Canadians who have married a Cuban in Cuba but have yet to find one pertaining to a U.S. citizen that has done the same.  I am a U.S. citizen who desires to marry my Cuban girlfriend of 6 years, and we would like to get married in Cuba.  I would prefer that any replies to this post only cover the topic of getting married in Cuba and I would like to leave any discussions about migrating to one country or the other for another day.

I have done quite a bit of research on the web and she and I have even gone into the office and spoken to people in 1) the U.S. Interest Section in Havana, 2) the Immigration office in Varadero in Cuba as well as 3) The International Lawyer's Office (Bufete Internacional) in Havana- which is better known as the Office of Matrimony in Cuba - to get all the information we could, so I feel like I am up to speed on what needs to be done.  The Immigration office told me that once we are married I could apply for an A2 (Family) visa which would allow me to legally stay with her in our apartment that we will be buying (in her name) and allow me to stay a total of 90 days per visit vs the 60 day max I now have.  The U.S. Interest Section said the marriage would allow me to fly directly to Cuba from the U.S..  The International Lawyer's office gave us a detailed brochure that stated the costs to perform the ceremony and what documents I would need to bring with me and they would perform the ceremony within 24 hours of us filing the marriage request. 

Here is the rub.  The documents I need to bring with me are my original birth certificates and a certified copy of my divorce decree from my previous marriage.  Both of those documents have to be translated into Spanish and authenticated by the Cuban Consulate office (The Cuban Interest Section) in Washington D.C. before I leave to get married in Cuba.  Their website discusses these services, gives their phone numbers and email addresses, tells you to send a return, stamped envelope and a certified check for their fee, but they do not say what the fees are to perform these services.  They list their phone and fax numbers, but when you call the Interest Section you get a constant busy signal and when you call the Consulate office, the phone just rings and rings and is never answered.  I have sent them emails and faxes and have not received any replies.

Has anyone else (a U.S. citizen) experienced this and is there any advice that someone can share with me on what other options I have available to me? We would like to get married on my next trip to Cuba, which will hopefully be in the spring or summer of 2013.  If you know of another web site that has more info, please direct me to it.  Thanks.

Hi! I'm a US Citizen but I was born in Cuba. I'm starting the process to get married and pretty much what you said that's the way it is, the only advantage is that my birth certificate is from Cuba, therefore no translation is needed. I contacted the Cuban Consulade via e-mail. I have information that it might be helpful for those of you that are getting married to a Cuban national. The information is an attachment from them in a word document, prices included. Feel free to write me to [email protected]. I believe the information is in Spanish but if you need assistance let me know.
Hopefully this information will help you. If you rather me to copy and paste let me know.

I am looking to be in Havana for about 6 months. I bought a house that my wife now has and I know I will need an A2 Visa to stay there with her. Does anyone have any up to date information what the cost is now and for how long the A2 is valid? Many thanks.

Hi Walt,
The first good news is that you no longer require an A2 Visa. I too used to need one, but received a call last year from Raul Delgado Concepcion Deputy Consul at the Cuban Consulate in Toronto to say that I could revert to just using a Tourist Visa which would be extended for up to six months with my wife in our home. I did so in December and stayed in Cuba until the end of April when my wife returned to Canada with me for the first time on a Temporary Resident Visa. She was only given that on the fifth application and I think only because the UK issued her one in 2012. The Canadian Embassy in Havana is not helpful or cooperative! So, the visa you fill in on the flight is sufficient and saves you the former charge of $128. You like me are a Canadian citizen so I expect we have to fulfill the same visa criteria, but I don't know about dwright as he is a US citizen. We are fortunate as we are not seeking immigration to Canada for my wife - so I can only wish you luck!

Very many thanks MacDuff! Where did you get the Tourist Visa extended? Did you have to tell anyone that you were going to live with your wife?
Maybe one day we'll be able to meet and swap tales... :-)

I spoke with the consul I have known for some time (in Toronto) and he told me that when I arrive to inform the immigration authorities in the airport where I am staying and for how long. No more A2! :-)

I haven't updated this blog in a while - not since before I went back to Cuba in August to get married.  So, I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I wanted to tell me story in case it helps anyone else out. 

Because of some of the help & advice I received on this blog, my Cuban marriage in Havana went without a hitch.  I took my documents that I had been working on for the past several months (my divorce decree, birth certificate and my Affidavit of Marital Status, some of which had to be certified up the chain of command from my city of birth & marriage, to the respective county, then to the state level and on to the U.S. Dept of State & then translated into Spanish & certified by the Cuban Interest Section in DC-what a process!) and I arrived into Havana on a Saturday.  On Monday we went to the office of matrimony in Havana and, after waiting for a while, met with a representative and submitted our (also my Cuban fiance's) documents. 

I had my fingers crossed because I just knew we would be told that something had not been done correctly and I would have to go back to the states and get something else done.  I feared this because there was no single source that I could find to go to to get information on what needed to be done- I had to gather it from various web sites and blogs such as this one, and to top it off, the Cuban Interest Section in DC would never answer their phones or respond to my email inquiries.  I ended up finding, on the web, a delivery service near DC and pay them a reasonable fee to take my documents to the Cuban Interest Section, get them certified, and ship them back to me.

To my surprise, the office of matrimony approved our documents that Monday, took our application fee and scheduled us (at our request) for the first available time to perform the ceremony which was the the next Wednesday (two days later- done to accommodate her father, who traveling a few days later).  Fortunately for us, as we were wrapping up the application process, there was a wedding service in process, so we hung around and got the business cards of the photographer and the driver of the beautifully restored convertible. 

The next two days I watched (and helped as much as I could) my fiance put everything together (rented a wedding dress, scheduled the car & the photographers, ordered two wonderful wedding cakes, rented a paladar with a pool for our reception, had her hair & nails done-etc., etc).  And so at noon on Wednesday we were off in the convertible and I was doing what I had seen many Cubans do on their wedding days- get paraded around town in a convertible with everyone stopping to waive at us and wish us their best.

It was a nice ceremony (in Spanish) with and a great deal of her family and friends attending.  Then we then broke out the champagne bottles and were soon off to the reception party at the paladar.  After feeding about 20 peopled accompanied by plenty of beer & rum, the bill came to $260 CUC- can you believe it?   The next Friday we left for Veradero where, because she is Cuban, we got a really good price on a honeymoon suite (transportation from/to Havana included) at a 5 star, all inclusive hotel that she had always wanted to stay at.  We had a wonderful time and, after several days, returned to Havana and started looking at apartments for sale.

We have found a very nice two bedroom apartment for sale and fortunately the lady that is selling it is going through the immigration process to join her family in the US and so she is selling the apartment fully furnished down to the beds, leather sofas, bookshelves and pots and pans in the kitchen, which is a blessing given how expensive that stuff is in Cuba.

Since I was doing some contract work at the time, I could only stay for a total of three weeks, but to my surprise, our marriage documents were processed in time for me to get them and take them to be certified at the US Interest Section before I left.  So, I brought the marriage certificate back with me, got them translated into English, and recorded them in the county of my residence in the US.

Now, my contract job is coming to a close and I am due to fly back in early November.  I plan to stay there at least two months- hopefully longer if we can get the proper family visa that will let me stay longer.  Once we buy the apartment and my wife moves out of her family's house, we can use that address so that I can file for a family visa that will allow me to stay in our apartment and stay in Cuba longer than a tourist visa would.  I will let you know how that process goes as it unfolds.  If any US citizens have gone through this process, I would love to hear from them.  I leave on Nov 8th.

Sorry about delay, I got my first tourist visa extended at the government office which does all sorts of licenses in our city. But I don't know if doing so is still necessary as this time I was only there for seven weeks - I go back in December.
I also apologize for not congratulating dwright firstly upon his marriage and secondly upon managing to get all the paperwork sorted out - WELL DONE! If dwright you are as happy as we are, then you will have a great blessing.
Yes, the costs you mention are low for we North Americans. We could not get married in our City - no international office - so we did it in Trinidad de Cuba, but we had a fiesta at our home a week later. We had quite a crowd and I can report that they ate most of the cerdo asado and drank over a dozen bottles of ron and a gross of cerveza! Cubans do know how to party. I don't know how many there are in your new family, but can report that I am related through marriage to 68 Cubans and am Godfather to a little girl.
I returned here yesterday and go back home in December.

Thanks MacDuff.  It is mid November and I am back in Cuba with my wife.  We will start traveling tomorrow - first to Trinidad and then on to Santiago and Baracoa and then spend Christmas and New Years with my new family in Pilon.  Then back to Havana to look at buying a place.  Will be here until mid January 2014.

Hi dwright,
In Trinidad Mary & Antonio is where we stay each year for the second week of January as it is the Semana de Cultura but I think that this year it may be February as a daughter and grand-daughter are probably going to visit from Scotland. If you still need to book casas, then go to Cubaparticular.com and you will get a good listing of casas in Trinidad, Santiago and Baracoa.
You can reserve on Cubaparticular and they will confirm the booking all a no charge - it's run by a fellow named Raul Fuentes. I'm not to keen on Santiago but both Trinidad and Baracoa are very enjoyable. I intend to return to Cuba in mid-December but don't know the date yet. Have a great trip!

Hey MacDuff.  We have a very good friend that owns a CP in Trinidad and always stay there.  I liked Santiago and only visit Trinidad to see Louis.  It has a few too many Jinateros for my taste.  We also spent some time in Holguin and are currently in Baracoa.  We leave next Monday to spend a few days in in Bayamo just to break up the traveling time, then on to Pilon for the holidays.  We have made some good friends & I went to my first cock fight last Saturday with them while here in Baracoa.  I had no idea what I was doing as far as betting on the roosters, and felt like a high school girl who chooses her football team based on their "pretty uniforms".  I just renewed my visa this morning for another 30 days and was told by the immigration officer that once we buy a place, I can get a family visa that allows me to stay here for 6 months at a time.  I also met a Canadian woman that is married to a Cuban who is applying for a permanent residence visa, which gives you full benefits.  I need to look into that to see if it available to Americanos.

BEFORE I RESPOND, I WANT THE FOLKS RUNNING THE SITE TO CLEAN IT UP! I HAVE JUST SPENT TWO HOURS TRYING TO RESPOND - BECAUSE INSTEAD OF SAYING "REPLY" IN THE BOTTOM RIGHT HAND CORNER IT SAID "reply and register". BUT IT WOULD NOT ACCEPT MY NAME 'MacDuff'. please, Please, PLEASE do not repeat this or I shall quit!!!

Dwright, back to you. Beware getting caught at a cock fight - they are illegal and Cuban law is not nice to foreigners! Yes, I now get to stay for up to six months on a Tourist visa. As a Canadian I would not wish to lose the various benefits by becoming a permanent resident of another country. For example, our Provincial Health Systems are accepted as health insurance in Cuba and we can claim health costs incurred abroad up to certain levels directly from our Province - and I have done so. Cuban medical charges are very modest for visitors.Owning a property in Cuba is an essential for wives who wish to visit Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa and the Canadian Embassy unlike the UK Embassy is not helpful. But at the sixth attempt my wife was allowed one this year and was here in Canada for two months. I don't know if the US is similarly obstructive. I am perhaps fortunate as I have never been targeted by jinteros or jinteras - maybe I don't look like a visitor? I go back home to Artemisa on Friday 13th until the end of April - then my e-mails cease. We ought to start a Cuban Spouses Club. I wonder if the US and/or Canadian government would fund an Annual General Meeting with free meals and mojitos or for me Buchanero!! All in the name of improving international relations! Salud

Hi Macduff,

If you have any problem on the forum, please fill in the questionnaire below, our technician will then revert back to you.

: https://www.expat.com/en/contact.html

Thank you :)

Priscilla
Expat.com team

That was an excellent post! Many thanks!
Is that for certain then that OHIP is acceptable for Health insurance? I looked for insurance for 6 months and the cheapest tab was for just under $800.
Thanks, in advance, for confirmation about provincial health insurance being adequate.

Les, the Canadian Provincial Health programmes are your first insurer. When you take out a policy with any of the Canadian Insurance Companies your first insurer is your provincial scheme and if you claim from your insurance company they claim the first $50 for outpatient care and the first $100 for in-patient care from your province!! Yes, I have claimed from Alberta and was paid. The insurance companies are the second insurer. But, if going to the US it is essential to have private insurance as their health charges are exorbitant - 18% of their GDP.
Yes, I have claimed for out-patient care in Cuba from the Alberta scheme and I was paid. Yes, Cuba accepts the Canadian provincial schemes - carry your health card. Hope that explains the position. Obviously the insurance companies don't tell you - they are commercial operations. I found out when I made a claim for about $87 from RBC Insurance. I obtained the claim forms, completed them and submitted the paid account from the Doctor (in Trinidad) and the receipt from the Cadeca showing the exchange rate they had given me. RBC paid $13.72 less than claimed. There followed a prolonged correspondence and calls when eventually they admitted that they had made a "mistake" and paid the $13.72. I pointed out in writing that they had made a decision not a mistake as they paid on the basis of an ancient exchange rate not on the submitted documents. They admitted that they had claimed the first $50 from Alberta. Although it cost more than $13.72 to pursue them, it taught me not to trust RBC Insurance. Yes, I do have the correspondence on file.

Wow! Thanks MacDuff, tan mucho!

Armand wrote:

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Cuba or who are about to get married in Cuba to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Cuba? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Cuba)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

I married a Cuban woman, and it took about 2-3 weeks to prepare everything here in Montreal (papers), and this because i was born outside Canada so i had to go to another Consulate AND the Cuban Consulate for all kind of papers; with a better organisation and preparation , everything can be ready in maximum 2 weeks. In Cuba, it takes about 1 week to get married if everything is ok from here

I live in Canada and have dual citizenship ( Cdn.& UK ) I have all my documents except my proof of eligibility to remarry. Any suggestions on the easy way to obtain in Spanish. I have had my divorce certificate already done

Hi, I have a friend, Andres Perera who can help you out. He is a para legal working for a lawyer in Toronto, He was Cuban and helps those with questions/issues is such as those on this blog will have. I also have a good immigration lawyer in Toronto. Just ask me if you want info. For Andres info check out my web page at http://cubacultureclub.clubforleisure.com/42.html

Thanks will contact your friend

You're welcome. Just tell Andres that Walt Hollander sent you and he'll look after you. All the best!

I have just been catching up with the blogs. Two reasons for being silent for so long. he first is prolonged absence at home in Cuba and the second was gaining access to this site - now resolved, I have a new password. My purpose in participating has always been to try to assist others and I became very irritated by the problems of not being able to enter the site and ceased trying as Expat no longer notified me of any responses.

Good to see you back on.  :)

Hello to all.  I'm new to expat, so thank you in advance for all the info. From southern Ontario Can. and have used medical care in Cuba. With receipts and a bank exchange receipt (showing the ex-rate) for the day of the health care billing had no problem recovering all costs incurred. That said I am in the process of courting a Cuban widow with plans to marry, after my Ontario divorce becomes final, so I am grateful for all of the info. on marriage, visas, and renting or buying property. I will return to Cuba in September, for a "Quinceanera" for my Ladys daughter, we are planning this at arms length, my Lady, myself, and a couple of aunts and uncles. After that, we will go house shopping, hopeful to get a place to call our own. I plan to  trip back to Canada and back to Cuba before Christmas 2014. Look forward to reading more from all. Thanks in advance.

Awesome! There are a good many of us who have done what you and your lady are looking forward to. There is a closed Facebook web site of which I am a member and that may be of interest to you. If so, just send me an email and I will ask the admin to add you. [email protected]
Lots of good things ahead.  :)

wannabcuban wrote:

Hello to all.  I'm new to expat, so thank you in advance for all the info. From southern Ontario Can. and have used medical care in Cuba. With receipts and a bank exchange receipt (showing the ex-rate) for the day of the health care billing had no problem recovering all costs incurred. That said I am in the process of courting a Cuban widow with plans to marry, after my Ontario divorce becomes final, so I am grateful for all of the info. on marriage, visas, and renting or buying property. I will return to Cuba in September, for a "Quinceanera" for my Ladys daughter, we are planning this at arms length, my Lady, myself, and a couple of aunts and uncles. After that, we will go house shopping, hopeful to get a place to call our own. I plan to  trip back to Canada and back to Cuba before Christmas 2014. Look forward to reading more from all. Thanks in advance.

So, another one infected by the virus "Cuba", like myself? :)

thanks for the quick post. will email you about fb.

Got your reply. Great to meet you!  :)

I wish to get married after a ten year relationship with my cuban girlfriend. I would. Like to know the best way of doing this legally.

Hi Edwin,
First of all...
Are you living in Cuba? Is she living in Cuba?
I am married to a Cuban for about 4 1/2 years.
Please contact me at [email protected].
Hasta luego.

Hello Walt:
Iam living in puerto rico and she lives in Cuba

OIC, thanks. Thought you might be Canadian. I am not knowledgeable about Puerto Rico's requirements.

Getting the marriage certificate /license  in Cuba will require that you have documentary proof of birth and a notarized declaration of your status (single or divorced) and, if divorced, a notarized copy of the divorce document.

Where in Cuba does she live Edwin? My wife knows about where to go in Havana. She also did all the planning, arranging and executing for our wedding and is willing and able to help others. (Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls)

All the best,
Walt

Reading through this blog for the first time since I joined I find it worrisome that so many people are buying or in the process of buying a Casa in a Cuban name.. Even if you're married and both your names are on a document(s) The house is the Cubans period no 50-50 split if marriage goes south..The only way is with permanent residence which one member has here,,, I have spent the better part of the last 6 years going back and forth to Cuba for extended stays and it saddens me to meet mostly Canadians that have been foolish and of course burned doing this...

I hesitate to give advice upon home ownership connected to marital relations. BUT!
If one considers that a marriage may go south, don't get married!
Successful marriage depends upon much more than physical attraction or the romance of an "exotic" partner. Unless you can write up an extensive list of common interests, don't get married. Have an affair and get it out of your system!
Marriage to a Cuban means that you are able to adapt to Cuban culture which is based upon the family of your spouse. So you may find yourself related to fifty or sixty Cubans. To be acceptable to them you should not patronise or distribute largesse - doing so will lead to resentment, Cubans despite their relative poverty are a proud people.
Understand that anyone under sixty years of age has only memory of the Castro regime and has been subjected all their life to the regime's propoganda with no alternative views expressed. Living on an island where all media is controlled by the regime provides a somewhat peculiar view of world events. Who are the good guys?- Saddam Hussein, Ghadafi, Mugabe, Asad, Kim Jung Un, Maduro, Correa and Putin as examples and who are The bad guys?- George W. Bush, Barrack Obama, John F. Kennedy, Bill Clinton and every other American President following George Washington and the Presidents, Prime Ministers, Chancellors and other leaders of the free democratic countries. For Fidel Castro Ruz, "Capitalismo" represents all that is bad in the world and his form of "Socialismo" everything that is good. The Castros family which also controls much of the economy through Raul's son-in-law as CEO of Gaviota and Rafin SA has total power - and uses it.
If you cannot live being subjected to the five state controlled TV stations and to Granma the daily official newspaper of the Communist Party of Cuba, don't take up residence - part or full-time in Cuba. Love alone is unlikely to suffice.
If on the other hand it is intended to move the Cuban spouse to your own country, then beware of the many active jinteras who seek marriage in order to achieve greater economic conditions and to leave Cuba for what they think will be a better life.
As one with the good fortune of having a happy marriage, may I advise that if you have doubts -listen to them. Heaven and Hell are not far apart.