Flying to Havana

Is it possible to buy one-way airfare to Havana if the exact departure date from Havana is still unknown?
As I mentioned in another post, I intend to live in our casa for almost 6 months but am uncertain as to my return to Canada date (before the required max of 6 months is up).
Will appreciate info from those who have experience in this. Many thanks!
Walt

Unfortunately Air Canada ceased flying to Havana and switched the service to Air Canada Vacations and ceased honouring Aeroplan points for that once per day flight I tried VERY hard to get an explanation from Air Canada and from Aeroplan without receiving the courtesy of an explanation - they sent me two complimentary passes to their lounge in Toronto which I did not use. It isn't possible to purchase a one way ticket on the Air Canada Vacations web site. I would advise making a call directly to Air Canada Vacations. In my case I switched to using WestJet to Varadero and using a local taxi particular to make the journey from and to Juan Gomez airport passing Jose Marti on the way - the combined flight cost and taxi costing less than the ACV charge to Jose Marti in Havana. My Cuban wife took a return flight from Juan Gomez to Edmonton and while in Edmonton changed the date of her return journey at a cost of about $100, so they are flexible. I have over 96,000 Aeroplan points but can't use them to go to Cuba. I don't know whether ACV will allow change of date of return. So far I have paid for five return flights by WestJet because of my disgust with Air Canada. Good luck in trying to deal with them.

Many thanks my friend. I will see whether it is possible with Cubana. Have you ever had any problems with Cuban authorities when you did have a one-way ticket to Havana?
I am also looking to play a representative role for Canadian companies should you happen to know of any company needing/requiring a representative in Cuba. Thanks.
Best regards,
Walt

Hi Les,
I tried to call ACV just now - but got a voice telling me to call later. I think that at this time on Friday (6.00 pm Mountain Time) they are probably in sleep mode. But, as I am in Canada at the moment, I shall call them tomorrow and obtain the information and then post it - bestt I can do!
I return to Cuba on the 13th - this time by ACV so they may be polite.

Buenos tarde Les,
Es dia aqui en Edmonton muy frio y nieve. Now to your question:

(1) It is possible to purchase one way tickets from Canada to Havana and also from Havana to Canada.
(2) Usually tickets have to be purchased from either the Air Canada office in Havana or from their office at Jose Marti Airport.
(3) Air Canada Vacations have a representative in Havana, her name is Aneda and her telephone number is: 537 836 3226

Hope this enables you to resolve your problem.

In two weeks time I shall be at home in Cuba wearing T shirt, shorts and sandals - wonderful thought!

Thanks so much dear friend for your valuable info. Likewise, I'll be there in Havana enjoying time with my wife, etc, etc. It's cold here also.
Don't remember, will you be in Havana also?

BBC World News has just broadcast about the heavy rain, flooding and house collapses in Havana - shocking pictures and bad news.

Yes, it can be cold at night in Cuba but not -22C which it was in Edmonton this week. No, we don't live in Havana, we live 60 km further west in the centre of the island, but it would have been nice to meet up and have a beer in La Muralla. I have found that the only time I wear socks in Cuba is at night in bed during January and February!!

Oh that is bad news my friend. I will have to check the BBC footage. Let's hope we can meet up sometime. I will check my email in a hotel Internet room once a month. My email address for use there is [email protected].
Take care... going to check that footage.
Cheers,
Walt

LesWalt wrote:

Is it possible to buy one-way airfare to Havana if the exact departure date from Havana is still unknown?
As I mentioned in another post, I intend to live in our casa for almost 6 months but am uncertain as to my return to Canada date (before the required max of 6 months is up).
Will appreciate info from those who have experience in this. Many thanks!
Walt

Try with any of the these: Cubana, Sunwing, Air Transat, Canjet, Air Canada, they all have flights  to Cuba; i usually buy a round trip ticket from Montreal to Varadero and from there by bus or taxi to Havana

Thanks, I did get an open ticket through Cuban some other sources said thaTa. I was informed that a one-way ticket was only sold to Cubans though some other sources had told me that they did buy one way tickets. Anyway, I'm flying with Cubana. Thanks again.

I often buy one way only with westjet  and have never been asked in 7 years of doing this to show a return ticket..

OFF TOPIC... I brought down a 32 inch TV end of July and paid 55 cuc duty but as of Sept. that same TV will cost 250 in duty to bring in with the new regulations...so my days of bringing in big ticket items are over as I wont feed that govt these ridiculous new fees.