Canadian visa denied.....

Just got the news, sad news. My Cuban girlfriend had her Canadian visa denied yesterday, after all formalities (Passport, invitation, documents, delayed mail delivery, fees). And she is a specialaized nurse and owns her house! It was only for a visit!
I guess I will have to make the move myself. My main concern is the famous ''family'' visa (A-2). What I read on the web is that I would need one to be able to live with her at her house unless she could be under severe penalty, fine etc... but I would have to be married. Others write that you give a  temporary address for a few days in a casa particular or hotel and after you go with her to get the visa as a friend. But you get it if you are lucky, or not, depending on the bureaucrat.
I cant afford to rent a casa particular for 3 or 6 months....
Any lights out there?????
Thanks, (no bad news please)

I am sorry Majito for this sad news.. .. give it some time and you and her will find another way to be together.  where there is a will, there is always a way.. 

I don't know your situation but can you rent out your house, or sublet your apartment here for 4 months or so to cover cost of renting a casa.... ?   Does she have a friend who lives close to her who could offer you come as a guest, no rent, and spend as much time with her as possible.. not ideal but better than not at all.

livin

Thanks Liv, with a good contact on this site I have resolved part of the situation. I will try to leave early november and if I cant sublet I will rent a storage space for my furniture.

Majito wrote:

Just got the news, sad news. My Cuban girlfriend had her Canadian visa denied yesterday, after all formalities (Passport, invitation, documents, delayed mail delivery, fees). And she is a specialaized nurse and owns her house! It was only for a visit!
I guess I will have to make the move myself. My main concern is the famous ''family'' visa (A-2). What I read on the web is that I would need one to be able to live with her at her house unless she could be under severe penalty, fine etc... but I would have to be married. Others write that you give a  temporary address for a few days in a casa particular or hotel and after you go with her to get the visa as a friend. But you get it if you are lucky, or not, depending on the bureaucrat.
I cant afford to rent a casa particular for 3 or 6 months....
Any lights out there?????
Thanks, (no bad news please)

If you have a 15-20 year age difference the visitor visas are often denied because good chance its a fraud/scam. .. Not to brag but I have a ton of experience in this...Its super easy to marry a Cuban with a single affidavit and long form birth certificate both translated to Spanish .. you will the pay the Cuban consulate in Canada about 750.00 in total and then when you get to Cuba another 700-800 CUC so about 1500-1800 in total and you can live with her with no worries at all in Cuba...Also you can make deals with Legal Casa owners for long stays..I often negotiate 350-450 a month deals for casa NOT on beach property but if want fancy place on beach it will cost a lot more...another option is to wait a few months and try again as often it takes 2-3 attempts for a visitor visa for a Cuban..If you think relationship is real then marry her and visitor visa almost always go through for spouses ..

Ricardo58, it is not correct to say that visitor visas (Temporary Resident Visa) almost always go through for spouses. Sad to say that is a misleading statement. The Canadian Embassy in Havana is unhelpful, rude and insulting. The UK Embassy staff in contrast are helpful, giving advice and courteous.

MacDuff wrote:

Ricardo58, it is not correct to say that visitor visas (Temporary Resident Visa) almost always go through for spouses. Sad to say that is a misleading statement. The Canadian Embassy in Havana is unhelpful, rude and insulting. The UK Embassy staff in contrast are helpful, giving advice and courteous.

TRV for Cubans is running around 1 for 5 applications being approved on first try...Perhaps I'm generous on approval rate for spouses but I do believe its close to 75 % -85 %   We can not deny most of these relationships are MOF and for that reason Canada is getting tougher after so many decades of come on in.

Ricardo58 wrote:
MacDuff wrote:

TRV for Cubans is running around 1 for 5 applications being approved on first try...Perhaps I'm generous on approval rate for spouses but I do believe its close to 75 % -85 %   We can not deny most of these relationships are MOF and for that reason Canada is getting tougher after so many decades of come on in.

My point was chances vastly improve with spousal visas and my figures I think are accurate ...I've not had problems at all over with Canadian Embassy so maybe its just your approach ...Just sayin   ..

Sorry for that, it looks like our Immigration is the most difficult and hardest when it comes to give a visitor visa to a Cuban; everywhere else and especially for the European Union is much more simplear and easear to get the visa.

Very sorry to hear that. I can very much appreciate your upset and can commiserate as we have been married now for over 4 and a half years and knew each other a half year before the marriage AND we have a baby! Quite simply, CBSA people involved just don`t care!
The ADR was a waste of time and I quote below (names removed) what a friend who WAS approved wrote:

Thursday, October-30-14
well ladies and gents....WE WON THE ADR!!!!! So much to share.....will try to keep this short for now.....the Ministers Counsel (the man who makes the decision) told me this was the first Cuban case he approved at an ADR level in all his career (he looked well seasoned lol)...he said a lot of not so nice things about Cubans.....he said the sole reason he approved was because of my confidence, organization and I "was an incredible witness". He said I should "do this for a living, write a book or essays". I got a chuckle out of that....in a weird way. At the end of the day.....ITS OVER!!!!! Big BIG middle fingers to Havana! WE DID IT!
•    Seen by 57
You, 3 and 29 others like this.
•    
Walter Hollander Congratulations S B P! That is awesome! On another note... So his prejudice was obvious. That is what those of us who are still hoping, fighting the denials are up against. Congrats to you again! Awesome!
S B P thanks to all of you! This has def not been easy...and yes Walt.....the prejudice was VERY vocalized.
S B P he told me that they are considering "all carribean marriages to be removed from the ADR process...that all just go to a hearing"
•    
Walter Hollander Thanks for the info S... valuable for our lawyer to know also.

Well the stats don't lie and unfortunately most of the Cuban - Canadian marriages are fraud on the Cuban  part but when I see the age differences in most couples I meet I'm not surprised...There is no better actor than a Cuban but of course,,, glta because you will need it.  Remember the cash only flows one way with Cubans so make sure you have a wallet full..

Unfortunately, that is not only true with out-of-country (e,g, Canada-Cuban marriages) but can, and does, also hold true in domestic marriages. Problem here is understanding and realizing where people are coming from in their choice of favourite boogeymen or women.

I don't know where you get your view that Canada has for decades had a 'come on in' policy. In 1980 under the Liberal Government of Trudeau, was 86,000 annual allocation with preference given to racial and political refugees. It was exceedingly difficult for Western Europeans to gain entry irrespective of qualificaions. One route was available - receive a job offer and accept it. The job then had to be advertized across Canada for five weeks and receive no qualified Canadian applicants. That enabled an interview at the Canadian Embassy in the country of origin. Following approval it was necessary to have  a full medical and to then wait for up to four months - during which the agreed job had to wait.
Those Canadians whose families immigrated prior to the introduction of allocations were the fortunate ones. They could acquire a capital asset of 160 acres of land for $10, there were no language controls. With the exception of the aboriginal peoples, Canada is a counry of immigrants - I know a lady in Saskatchewan who is 13th generation, she marrried an immigrant of colour and so her children are 14th generation Canadians and quite dark.

Riccardo58, Incorrect!

Ricardo58  I have only married in Cuba once, so I can only speak of that single experience and must bow to your greater experience (which I assume from your views is the case). I can however repeat that the Canadian Embassy in Havana is rude, insulting and has difficulting in adhering to the truth.

Riccardo58
I note that back on October 6 when I was at home vin Cuba, you indicated that it was that as you claim that you have not had problems with the Canadian Embassy that the problems I spoke of were perhaps a consequence of my approach.
That ratther mystified me, for as you are no doubt aware that at the time we are speaking of when making an application for a TRV there was no face to face contact, the entire process is on paper. Hand it in in the morning, collect the result at 4.00 p.m. So I wondered how you got face to face contact within the Embassy?
The failure to adhere to the truth can be substantiated as it occurred in a response to my MP following an enquiry by him by e-mail - and he was actually Member of the Government and of the Privy Council.
I spoke of the comparison with the UK Embassy and the helpfulness and courtesy of their staff. That is a statement of fact and as a Canadian I am ashamed of he conduct of our Embassy staff.
Regarding marrying a Cuban, I have in the past given accurate figures regarding the potential costs - remember for example the translaion of documents, the need to have them verified in their country of origin - ie: if for example you were married or divorced inj Germany you must send documents there to have them verified.
I think that you are very cynical in your views of Cubans and of their motivations. Those views are contrary to my own experience. So perhaps the difference is due to the type of people you deal with?

That's interesting about the Can. consulate Macduff, and tallies with my experience at consulates in Brazil, Vietnam, etc. The last thing they seem interested in doing is serving Canadians, it's like we're interrupting their cushy vacation or something.

Try to speak to someone at the Cuban consulate. My case is different because we are married so I do not need a special visa to live in our house.
A casa particular's rates for an extended period of time can be negotiated. Why not try that approach? Where in Cuba does she live?

My girlfriends visa to Canada was denied 3 times. The last one was even after we got married. I contacted a company in Toronto and they told me about 95% get denied. I am now doing the sponsorship papers to get her here.
No one tells you this before.

Good luck Dave! Hope and pray for the best for the 2 of you!  :)

(Moderated: inappropriate)
Dave Healy. I don't know whether you applied for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or immigration. One can only advise persistance and wish you both good fortune.
Ricardo58 is incorrect.

Thanks. We were applying for a temporary do she could come visit. With a pre paid return plan ticket for one month in each application.
We are now doing the sponsorship papers. This time should work.
I also found the embassy in Havana basically unless. It took forever to get a reply from them when they decided to reply. Other times, no reply at all. A lot of my questions were time sensitive as well.

(Moderated:  inappropriate)

@ Ricardo58
My attitude is fine, (moderated: inappropriate). The reason I found them useless was the lack of responses or the length of time they took to respond, when some documents were time sensitive. I never sent anything In an angry manner at all.
Thanks for putting your ignorant response in when you have zero info to back it up.

Whatever they have treated me with up-most respect and have had 7 visitor/temp visas approved since 2011 so perhaps its on your end or maybe your chica is 15-20 years younger which they don't like for obvious reasons... regards

Hello All,

Since December, 2012 Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has instituted the Designated Countries of Origin list. It is intended to list countries do not usually produce refugees, but do respect human rights and offer state protection.

The following countries have been designated:

Country          Effective date
Andorra          October 10, 2014
Australia         February 15, 2013
Austria            December 15, 2012
Belgium          December 15, 2012
Chile               May 31, 2013
Croatia           December 15, 2012
Cyprus           December 15, 2012
Czech Republic      December 15, 2012
Denmark        December 15, 2012
Estonia           December 15, 2012
Finland           December 15, 2012
France            December 15, 2012
Germany        December 15, 2012
Greece           December 15, 2012
Hungary         December 15, 2012
Iceland           February 15, 2013
Ireland            December 15, 2012
Israel (excludes Gaza and the West Bank)   February 15, 2013
Italy                 December 15, 2012
Japan              February 15, 2013
Latvia              December 15, 2012
Liechtenstein  October 10, 2014
Lithuania         December 15, 2012
Luxembourg    December 15, 2012
Malta               December 15, 2012
Mexico            February 15, 2013
Monaco          October 10, 2014
Netherlands    December 15, 2012
New Zealand   February 15, 2013
Norway            February 15, 2013
Poland             December 15, 2012
Portugal           December 15, 2012
Romania          October 10, 2014
San Marino      October 10, 2014
Slovak Republic    December 15, 2012
Slovenia           December 15, 2012
South Korea     May 31, 2013
Spain                December 15, 2012
Sweden            December 15, 2012
Switzerland      February 15, 2013
United Kingdom     December 15, 2012
United States of America     December 15, 2012

Countries that are NOT on this list according to CIC do produce refugee claimants and the list was created to prevent MISUSE of the refugee claimant system from those originating from countries not on this list.

It therefore stands to reason that while it may not be POLICY, or even stated publicly that CIC is also using this list in its decision making process for the issuance of all categories of visas. They are going to be much more vigilant of visa applications, especially TRV applications based on foreign marriages, which they usually suspect as marriages of convenience where an age difference exists.

I have been in Brazil for 13 years now. I am married and have a Brazilian child who is now 7 and a half years old. My Brazilian wife is 37 years younger than I am and despite the longeivity of our marriage and having a son, I don't doubt that if I decided to return to Canada with them since Brazil is not on the list I'd have a devil of a time getting her visa approved first time around.

That said, I wouldn't want it ANY OTHER WAY!!!  Canada has newcomers from all over the world and accepts refugees, nobody can accuse Canada of being less than generous in it's immigration policies. On the contrary, they have been too lax in the past in my opinion. Just remember all of the rights and benefits that we all enjoy as a Canadian have a price, and it's OUR tax dollars that pay for them. Everyone in the world knows that and they're dying to get into Canada to jump on the gravy train. The strict vigilance helps prevent that from happening. So I'd have to fight a little bit harder to prove my marriage is legit, but isn't that better than allowing in hundreds or thousands who've paid somebody for a "paper marriage" that will get disolved judicially as soon as the ink dries on the PR Visa of the so-called "spouse" who bought it??????

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers,
James            Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks James for your very level-headed comment.
My Cuban wife and I are in a similar position as you are.
What bothers me is that I (and, by extension, she) have been led down the garden path simply by the government (Canada immigration) taking my money and allowing the PR Visa process to start and continue through to the denial point and appeal point. So much for the effectiveness of our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
If I had known what we were to go undergo, I would not be writing this because I would have found a way for my wife and I to live together somewhere we would be welcome, just like you have done; after 5 years knowing each other and more than 4 1/2 years married with a young daughter who, ironically, has a Canadian passport.
That is something we now contemplate: either Ecuador or Mexico.
Thanks again!

Hi LesWalt,

Unfortunately, this is the price that we Canadians are now paying for the overly generous policies of the past.

It clearly appears that there is an "unspoken" policy at CIC to deny TRV applications based on foreign marriages first time around. On the other hand I certainly can see the reasoning behind it. Those intent on defrauding the system aren't going to come back to take "another kick at the cat" as it were, if they've paid the fees and been denied the visa first time around.

I really do wish it weren't this way, and moreso that it weren't necessary. Sadly, I really do believe it is absolutely necessary to protect all Canadians from immigration fraud. You'd be surprised at the number of Canadians and Americans here in Brazil that have women throwing themselves at their feet, pushing for marriage; and for no other reason than in order to obtain a visa and get out of this country. I'm sure this happens almost everywhere in the world in developing and totalitarian nations. I count my blessings every single day, because I don't have this worry. I don't have to doubt my wife's motives... she has absolutely no desire whatsoever to leave the city where she was born and raised, and her family - let alone leave Brazil. Unfortunately, I've seen far too many marriages of the other kind.

Cheers,
James           Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks James for your response. My Orialys has proven herself to be a good wife and very good mother. She and I will survive this sad history we share.

only experience mi yuma

The Canadian Embasy staff in Havana are singularly unhelpful, lie (my M.P. can substantiate that), insulting and discourteous. If your claims are correct, then one can only conclude that you have a natural affinity and fellow feeling for such people.

well said sir.. it is necessary

Si  Cliff Clavin

Have you got more than one "chica" or has one visited you seven time in three years?

As you have apparently access to the figures of visas granted by the Canadian Embassy, I assume I am correct in assuming that you are a member of their staff writing incognito.

Perhaps you gentlemen would all like to tone things down a bit. That way this topic thread won't get locked.

Just a word to the wise!

Cheers,
James         Expat-blog Experts Team

thanks and reinforces my beliefs ...regards

Agreed because if yur opinion is not of Mcduff then you are the enemy...Just sayin the odds are very high when it comes MOF with Cubans ,,Be Careful as its not what it seems always..

Well just stating the obvious the temp visa approval increases 10-fold when marriage is involved verse engaged/friend etc.

Manta,Ecuador is beautiful and cheap health ins with access to hospitals with American trained doctors....

Cold in Edm.?  jaja