Pregnancy in Muscat

Hi,

could you please share advice and tips about pregnancy in Muscat?

Who are the best gynecologists for pregnancy follow-ups?

Which hospitals or clinics would you recommend to give birth in Muscat?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice !

Christine

Despite the Sultanate of Oman being a very modern country and Muscat among the finest cities in the Middle East, medical facilities and services suck big time.

There are one too many poly clinics besides the numerous hospitals run by the government. (The latter is only for the locals). Most expatriates get medical insurance cover (for consultation, procedures and medicines) through their employer, so they do not pay much for getting treated.

Doctors in almost all the clinics in Muscat are half-baked, inexperienced and largely clueless.

Here medical services are treated like any other “business”. It is nothing but a money making racket – pure and simple.

My personal advice for any person who needs anything more serious to be attended to than a mere cold is to simply head back home and get the ailment treated.

Hi Christine,

sorry but I have to disagree with Sumitran big time!!

My wife gave birth to our first child just 9 weeks ago here in Muscat. She was treated before birth by Dr. Kanchana (Indian) at Muscat Private Hospital and she was very professional, experienced and helpful! Also the second Doctor (sorry, forgot the name) who did all the ultrasounds was flawless.

Dr. Kanchana was also the one doing the delivery. My wife ended to have a C-section and the whole procedure was handled perfectly by all persons involved.

Now, after delivery, we are seing Dr. Hans (Danish)also at Muscat Private Hospital and he is equally competent!

All doctors take their time for each appointment and try to clarify all open questions. They even filled out our European health card (in additon to the Omani one) since we might need it once we go back home to our home country.

We are both from Austria (a country that is supposed to have a very good healthcare system) and we were positively surprised by the professionalism that we've experienced at MPH!!

Should it be your first child you could also consider seing Karen Wilmot who is a midwife in Muscat. She also does birth preparation yoga. If you want her contact details please email me at

All the best.

Peter

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi again,

I just realised that you're an admin and not actually giving birth here in Muscat - sorry! ;-)
Anyhow, I hope my comments might help someone else!

peter

Hi Peter,

Have sent you a personal message.

Regards,

Sumitran

Hi Christine,

I agree with peter. In muscat I found best gynecologist is Dr.Smita Lulla.Details are given below.

Dr.Smita Lulla  MBBS, M.D, .D.G.O. (Gold Medallist),
Consultant Obstetrician & gynecologist at Qurum Clinic, Muscat since 20 years. Have had advanced training in U.K. in Obstetric & Gynecological Ultrasonography & Infertility.

My daughter was born under her supervision. She is really experienced.
Please visit
omanaccess.com/community/gynac.asp

Hi all,

Thank you for your inputs ;)

Regards
Armand

hi all
i have recently been blessed with Son @ Star Care Hospital in Oman under the supervision of Dr. Anita Zutshi. Dr. Anit has periodically done all investigations / tests / follow-ups etc. I found her professional, expert, giving personal attention to all the individual patient and kind. Dr. Anita has done C-section of my wife with great expertise as i was present in OT.

I would sincerely recommend her to all those who are planning for pregnancy here in Oman.

Sohail

Hello.. Can anyone help me with the best mid wife here in Muscat and what will be the charges?

hello.. can you please help me in knowing the contact details of midwife you have stated..Thanks much

Dear All,
I would like to share some important information with all of the parents, it's about the stem cell - Umbilcal Cord blood storage, too many people all over the world are not aware of the importane of storing their babies umbilical cord blood, I work with one of the big companies in the world called Cryo Save, we do store the stem cells in Dubai and Belgium for the next 25 years for the treatment purposes for over 75-80 different conditions such as Leukemia , Lymphoma, Thalasemia , Animia, Diabetes and many many more, you caould have a chance to save your kids lives one day and you don't want to regret not doing it, so many treatments have been done between sibling because they found match between them, storing you baby's cord blood could help you to save his/her life and even might be your life.
I suggest any couple expecting to have a child to have a look at this website [link moderated] and take it seriously.

Zeyad
+***

Hi there ,
congratulations on your baby's birth.
do you have the doctor's contact number please?

Zeyad

Hi there,
Do have her contact number please.

Zeyad

Zeyad Abu Zaitoun wrote:

Dear All,
I would like to share some important information with all of the parents, it's about the stem cell - Umbilcal Cord blood storage, too many people all over the world are not aware of the importane of storing their babies umbilical cord blood, I work with one of the big companies in the world called Cryo Save, we do store the stem cells in Dubai and Belgium for the next 25 years for the treatment purposes for over 75-80 different conditions such as Leukemia , Lymphoma, Thalasemia , Animia, Diabetes and many many more, you caould have a chance to save your kids lives one day and you don't want to regret not doing it, so many treatments have been done between sibling because they found match between them, storing you baby's cord blood could help you to save his/her life and even might be your life.
I suggest any couple expecting to have a child to have a look at this website [link moderated] and take it seriously.

Zeyad
+***

Hi Zeyad Abu Zaitoun,

As a parent, let me share my experience in the forum for the benefit of all the readers.

When our child was born, I was in fact keen on collecting the umbilical cord blood for any future use - just in case. As you are perhaps aware most pregnancy wards in hospitals carry many posters, flyers and other marketing material speaking volumes of how important and useful this could be, etc, etc.

When I consulted with our doctor about doing this, the doctor categorically said that this procedure is not really a panacea for the newborn child's (if at all) all future problems ! And in fact advised us against doing it as it will serve no real purpose in practicality.

To me also the procedure looks rather far-fetched and how really useful it would be for the future is a big question.

Hi all,

I am not here to promote or support any cord blood bank, but as a doctor I would like to share that I have seen quite a few patients with leukemias, lymphomas, other malignancies, sickle cell anemias, thalassemias and other diseases who needed bone marrow transplantation. Finding a compatible donor is a huge painful process which would be unnecessary had they had their own cord blood. Leukemias and lymphomas are very rare until they occur in our own family members. Sickle cell disease,Thalassemias and a few other genetic diseases are very common in certain communities especially in Oman. Bone marrow or cordblood stem cell transplant can cure these diseases.
       As Mr Sumitran said cord blood is not the panacea for all ills. But a lot of research works are going on in the use of stem cells in Diabetes, Cartilage defects and sports injuries in joints especially the knees and results are promising. It has also shown some remarkable results in growing neurons in people with spinal cord injury. Though stem cell therapy is not in the mainline treatments as of now, it is sure to be in 5 or 10 years down the line.

Regards
Dr N.Kannan

Hiii cab you please give me contact details and of gyno whom you guys have attended

Hi maddyoman,

Since you are a new member, maybe you must first read the site's Code of Conduct and the T&C of site usage before participating.

If you feel your posts can add value to the expatriate community, then you are most welcome to contribute.