Rip-off exchange rates

My bank (ANZ) gives me SBD6.5 for each Australian dollar which is an absolute rip-off but I have no other choice. They are also useless to deal with on the phone (which costs a fortune). I recommend if you are in Australia and intend transferring money over that you open a Westpac account before you move as they seem to give the best rates on TT's, (followed by CBA).

Speaking of phones - best to use skype, though internet is quite unreliable and expensive here.

Hi Mike. Thanks for the heads-up about exchange fees/rates. I will be sure to make enquiries into getting a Westpac account as I only have a Suncorp one and have already been told that would not be suitable for the Solomons. My wife and I are hoping to go to Honiara for a year working with AVI (Australian Volunteers International) and as we'll be paid quite low (and it seems rents are sky-high over there) saving money on exchanges will be a blessing. Thanks again.

Hi Jet Sparrow,

Please note that this topic is a year old.

I suggest you to create a new post on the Solomon forum for better visibility. :)

Regards,

David.