Better off to take the bus!!!

As if they are telling us something we don't already know, airfares rose a whopping 53% in 2011. Passenger demand has increased and airlines in Brazil, not satisfied with their profit margins simply jack up their prices. Their justification of higher operating costs has a hollow ring. Yes, aviation fuel prices rose 33.60%, so to my way of thinking that is about all the increase in airfares that they can justify since salaries have really not increased. This too would be offset slightly simply by virtue of the increased demand by flying a plane with less empty seats.

The big problem with Brazilian airlines is the lack of competition and ineffective regulation that essentially allows the major Brazilian airlines to engage in under-the-table price fixing. The increased cost of aviation fuel only aggravates the situation. Given that the greatest part of the price of fuel is made up of taxes the government has to share its part of the blame. Taxes could be reduced in order to help keep the price of air travel down, but no... that doesn't happen here in Brazil.

What with threatened strikes planned to coincide with peak holiday travel, lack of government action to prevent the resulting air chaos, inadequate airport facilities and a complete absence of consumer protection one is far better off taking the bus here in Brazil. Prices are far lower, you rarely if ever hear of cancellations and more importantly they ALWAYS depart on time, even during peak seasons like Christmas, New Years and Carnaval. Sure the bus takes longer, but they are as comfortable if not more so than aircraft and if you travel at night you sleep during the trip and don't really miss out on much.

I used to love flying and flew often before coming to Brazil, nowadays you won't catch me on a commercial airline - unless, of course, somebody else is paying the shot!

The problem with the bus is the size of Brazil, and the danger of traffic.  I frequently need to go to Cuiaba from Belo Horizonte, a 28 hour ordeal, if I am lucky.  It is much more dangerous as well, given the distance, the bad roads, and drunk drivers.   I will continue to use planes, paying higher prices.  Thank you, none the less, Mr. Woodward, for your brilliant postings here, that benefit so many people, and tell the story the way it is!