Importing personal car to Brazil

I am looking for anyone with experience of importing their personal vehicle into Brazil.

I'm interested in knowing this too.  One of my dreams is to drive my personal vehicle from Canada all the way to Brazil.  Most people are against my idea, but it's on the list :)

I've done some research, but I'd love more info as I am still unclear on some things.

The cost and bureaucracy involved for individuals trying to import their personal vehicle is prohibitive and almost insurmountable. Effectively you will end up with shipping, documentation and the various taxes involved paying more than the value of the vehicle. Essentially the only vehicles that are less difficult to import into the country are those considered "classic cars" that are over thirty years old.

If you're that eager to dig a big hole and throw your money into it see the hyperlink below.

http://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&rct=j … vHT76pabgg

I would highly recommend re-thinking the idea completely, selling the vehicle and buying another here in Brazil.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I believe as a tourist you can enter with your vehicle, but I am not sure how they control that you have left with it.  Perhaps there is paperwork that you complete when you enter the country, and upon leaving they confirm you are leaving with your vehicle otherwise your subject to various import and other taxes.  I read something about this in the past, but I am not clear on the details.