Tell me about the city!

Hi everyone, I'm planning to move in London next October when my Italian employment contract expires. I  will be sure of my new job before leaving Italy of course, but I'm already starting to read a bit about the city and the life in England.
I've been in London and England several times in past, but just for few days or couple of weeks, not more and I don't have a big idea about the life cost in the different districts in London.

That's why I'm here, first of all to introduce myself, then to write/speak a bit in English (it's always good to practice) and last but not least to understand in which part of the city concentrate my research to find a room.

If everything will go as I suppose, my new job will be around Knightsbridge‎. I don't care if I have to spend even more than 1 hour to get in the job place, but I would like to find a room in a flat with people 25/35 years old (I'm 30ish) in a safe place, better quite but if there's some pubs close to the flat it would be amazing.
About prices, I don't really have an idea, but it must be considered the price for the room + transportations of course.

Hope someone could be helpful for my room research (and to correct my english if I've done big mistakes). Thank you and happy new year!

Hi, I posted on another thread earlier with similar question. The best places I have used for shared living is spareroom.co.uk and gumtree.com You can even place your own advert to say you are looking for all you specifics and landlords will find you. London is generally fairly expensive, including surrounding areas. Not sure what it is like heading East out of the city but West is not too bad. So long as you use public transport. Driving in peak times is near on immpossible be to on time.

thank you Louise, what do you think about moveflat.com? anyone use it?
You suggest West London, right? but what about transportation? I'll not have the car so traffic jam is not my trouble!
and what do you think is the right price to pay fo a single room in a sheared flat?

I have never used that one ...
It's not that i suggest west london its just I never go East of the city so dont know if it's any different (busier/cheaper rent) you'll be best probably waiting on a real Londoner :) Last time i looked for a shared place was earlier this year and in north london area, single rooms were around 350 and doubles at about 450. Depends on how many people you want to live with aswell the bigger houses with more rooms are usually cheaper but I prefer just two maybe three others at most even if i'm only there for a couple of days. If you look at the renting websites you will be able to make your own mind up on prices anyway

I like London for variety of people who live here. People are much more tolerant than in my country.

Don't worry, in London you are never more than 5 mins from a pub!