Moving to London or not???

Am a 31 yo Belgian and always loved London and decided I would like to live there so started looking for a job. I now received a job offer from Networkrail paying me 22400 pounds per year. Would that be enough to have a good life in London? Because at this moment I just can't figure out how that would be possible. I now earn around 37000 euro a year and pay 625 euro rent for an appartment of my own in the centre, around 100 euro gas/electr and 100 for digit tv/phone/internet and council tax doesn't exist here so can live comfortably in Antwerp on this wage. But when I see prices of rent in London (will be at least double if you want to live alone, plus council tax) and prices of goods in general being more expensive I can't figure out how I would be able to live there earning that less money. Please some advice. Thanks so much!

greetings from Belgium

Hello psflem,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Wish you all the best in your research.

Rouma

Honestly, that is nowhere close to having enough money to live comfortably in London. London is super expensive. You will not be able to find a flat in central London by yourself, along with other expenses and live comfortably.

I wouldn't want to  live on less than £25 000 in London and by the sounds of the standard of living you have in Belgium (your own place) London may be a shock as you would need flatmates to get by on the salary you mentioned.

You will have to decide if what London has to offer you is enough, or something you want to do enough to give up some of your comforts.

Having said that I had my own 3 bedroom home in Canada and I flatshared for the first 4 years and loved it after I got used to it (and found the right place).  They became my English family and are now friends for life!

good luck!