Natural Victims

Ive been accused of being racist for asking this question but medical facts should not come before political sensitivities.

Ive spent the last 15 years in the Swiss/French Alps which offers a climate warm enough for vine growing to cold enough to kill should your car break down in the wrong place. It was great but being prepared for what can happen is important.

My wife was Thai and on one of our visits to Thailand I managed to cut my foot. No big deal save that that tiny puncture became a yellow mass that nearly stopped we walking inside a few hours. My wife frogmarched me to the doctor who made it clear that I was lucky to have such an astute wife and that pale-skinned, blue-eyed Europeans are regularly eaten alive for breakfast by infections in much smaller cuts.

It seems that your robust resistance to infections back home counts for little elsewhere.

In that respect, what does Mauritius have to offer? How do pale-skinned Europeans deal with the microscopic baddies that are killed off by the weather extremes back home and what additional precautions should we take?

Hi!

I used to get throat infections and colds a lot in the beginning of my stay in Mauritius. Every time I met someone who had a cold or fever I instantly got sick, which I found strange since I had a good immune system back home. But then my body seemed to get used to the bacterias here, and I rarely fall ill now :-) So I guess you'll just have to give it some time. With cuts and minor injuries you'll be fine if you put some alcohol on it ASAP

Thank-you Linapascal, That's the kind of answer I was looking for.

We can usually protect ourselves from the killers but there are a host of things that can equally spoil your day when you least want it to.

Hi Phil & Lina,

thats an interesting topic. I have noticed from cousins and guests when coming from abroad (europe) to the island, when they get a mosquito byte, they have marks for sometimes several days, whereby for me its a matter of scratching and after 30mins the dumps are gone. How you about you ?

Am sure if i dig deeper there are some other interesting points i could find, maybe later - c u! Dietmar

Yes the bacteria in different countries are different