Looking to move

Hi

My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Malta. We have been researching for a while now but getting mixed information about visa/work permits/ID cards/residency.

My plan is to fly over to Malta for 3/4 weeks in March/April and look for work. If in those weeks I get a job I was wondering what the next steps are.

I realise that in order to permanently reside in Malta we would have to prove self sufficiency (i.e have a job and somewhere to live) so it would seem that getting a job is the first port of call, correct? Having just returned from Malta we have looked at a number of apartments so finding somewhere to live won't be problem.  My boyfriend will also be staying in the uk to begin with so we will have some income funnelling through to Malta from there to enable us to get set up initially.

So just to summarise and see if I'm right in the way we would go about this:

- Find a job and somewhere to live in Malta
- apply for a work permit ( if this isn't done by the employer)
- open a Maltese bank account
- apply for a national identity card (is this actually a requirement at all? What is it for?)
- after 3 months apply for permanent residency

Does this sound about right? We have been reading loads of stuff about this both official and anecdotal and some people seem to make it sound easy while others make it sound like a minefield!

Thanks a lot for your time Folks!

1...You dont need to have a job prior to renting an apartment
2...If you are EU passport holder then you dont need a work permit
3...You will need an address and id card / or passport to open a bank account here
4...Id cards are not necessary until after three months - but it may be better to have it earlier as its handy for getting services to the apartment easier and of course of using public transport makes travel cheaper.
5...you dont need to apply for residency as quick as that but it does have advantages.

for further details and in more detail take a look at "georgeingozo"s input to the site as he has compiled a very comprehensive list of info and its worth reading for sure

Ultimately give yourself some breathing space first - and good luck in job hunting...and overall enjoy Malta and all it has to offer.

Hi Joanna,

Ditto to what Toon has said, Although do not expect to get a job offer in 3 to 4 weeks, well saying that it depends on what you are going for, normally there are at least 2 interviews and possibly 3 before they put forward the offer and this in my experience can take upto 2 months.

Please though dont let that put you off, this is a fantastic place with great people...

With regards to your questions

So just to summarise and see if I'm right in the way we would go about this:

- Find a job and somewhere to live in Malta - AND ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE :-)
- apply for a work permit ( if this isn't done by the employer) - NOT NEEDED ANYMORE
- open a Maltese bank account - AS ABOVE, YOU WILL NEED COMPY OF YOUR RENTAL AGREEMENT & PASSPORT
- apply for a national identity card (is this actually a requirement at all? What is it for?)- YOU WILL NEED THIS FOR AN EMPLOYER, TO GET SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER AND MOST THINGS, ONCE YOU HAVE YOUR RESIDENCE GET THIS APPLIED FOR STRAIGHT AWAY.
- after 3 months apply for permanent residency - ORDINARY RESIDENCY WOULD BE SUFFICENT

Good luck and any assistance you know where we all are

Julian

Thank you for all your help. I think having read your comments I'm understanding it a lot more now.
My boyfriend is suggesting we go for a little holiday in April and rent a place for myself for 3 months and use his income as a means of support until I get a job. I'm not looking for anything major. I'd be happy waitressing.... So if you know of anyone................ ;)

One things for sure there are lots of waitressing and bar jobs - some good some bad....try www.maltapark.com jobs section, and the www.timesofmalta.com classifieds...

give your self at least three months to find a job...

as for accom try and make sure that you are itemised on the utility bill as one or two occupier/consumers (obviously need to have at least id card and mostly will need evidence of paying tax or NI or have ordinary residence) - as this makes a substantial difference to your bills for water and electric. without it you can expect to pay 30-40% more for it at present altho the EU are looking at this aspect of life in malta for EU members.