Intro and Question on Visa's

Hi, just found this forum and how browsed some of the topics and the subject on the internet in general. Hoping to get some definitive advice from someone who may be in a similar situation.

I'm an Australian but also eligible to hold a French Passport (I was born in France but grew up in Australia - oui je parle Francais). Have been offered a contract in New Caledonia on one of the construction projects and should arrive in November. The job is on a commute basis (ie. 2 weeks in Noumea, 2 weeks back in Australia).

I (and my employer) was under the impression that if I got a French Passport or Carte d'Identite Nationale I would automatically be able to work legally in New Caledonia without any problems (as in France). It seems after doing a bit of research that anyone not from New Caledonia has to have a special visa and carte de sejour to work in New Caledonia organised by their employer (This is no surprise as the same applies for Australians on Christmas Island and Lord Howe). Whether you are French, Brit or Aussie getting a visa to work in New Cal makes no difference. Is this correct? I would rather enter New Caledonia on an Australian Passport if it's all the same with getting a work visa. The French Embassy is Sydney have not been helpful and its like getting blood out of stone.

Also, my other query surrounds tax, superannuation and CFAT (insurance). I've been told that if I got to New Cal on a French Passport I'm going to get slugged on insurance and superannuation (as I'm considered resident Francais) and then have to pay again in Australia because I'm there half the time and still classed as an ExPat. What a head ache!

Basically, which is better?
1. Stick to the Aussie Passport mate and tell my employer to pull their finger out and get me a work permit.
2. Get a French passport - it'll make life much easier and the tax thing is no worry.

All replies much appreciated. Aussi vous peut me repondre en Francais. Thanks in advance, Je vous remerceria d'advance.
Johno

Welcome to Expat.com Johno!

Good luck in your future project.

Harmonie.:)

Thanks Harmonie,
There is supringly little on this subject on the net. Though it seems like, yes you can work with a French passport but preference is given to locals.
Would like to hear from any French ex-pats in New Caledonia (eg. with Vale). What process did their employer have to go through to get them installed on the Island.
:)