"Discovery" of Las Terrenas

Between'72 and '74 a Peace Corps buddy stumbled on LT.  Then, there was only one little rent house that belonged to the owner of the little store in front of it.  We rented the house.  No elec, of course.  That was it.

Things have certainly changed!

At first I was put out by the tourism but a place like that cannot be kept a secret.

You must have thought you were in paradise!   This country is full of that unspoiled beauty, but the landscape is changing with alot of development and crowding in places bringing with them new issues.  Hopefully the beauty of the land will remain over the long term.

I'm trying to sell my small house steps from the playa bonita beach which I've owned for almost 20 years. If anyone is interested, I'd love to sell it directly, even though it is listed with local brokers. DM me if you or anyone you know is interested! 

@Karin1 that's why my wife and I decided on build in the mountain rings in el Cibao (Bonao) at ten minutes drive to the city. the views are spectacular and away from the tourists and tourists' traps.

Going in March to break ground, scary and exiting times coming up.

@Karin1

recently I zoomed-in Google maps from LT towards Las Galeras.  There is cool looking little town/beach. Right now I can't remember the name but it's almost exactly between the two other beaches. Access by the city of Samanà.

The unspoiled Las Terrenas was magnificent.  I'm so worried about the coral.  I'm afraid it might have died but can't get confirmation.

Karin, the beach/town between Las Terrenas and Las Galeras is El Valle/Playa El Valle.

(Not to be confused with the larger "El Valle" south of the Samanà Bay.)