Receiving mail/packages

I know I have seen this topic here before but cannot find it.

I will be setting up a mailing address with EPS in Sosua in order to receive packages here.  I understand they will give me an address in Miami in which my packages will be mailed to, and then the packages will be brought from Miami to the EPS office here.  The young lady at EPS explained THIS side of things very well.  However, I'm a bit fuzzy on the "SENDING from the US" side of things... she couldn't explain that.

The questions I have are:

1. If a family member is mailing something to me (personal items that I own there, that they have kept for me), how do they do this?  The girl at EPS said the shipper (family member) will need to create a 'bill' stating the value of the contents but did not know how to do this.  So, the family member takes the package to the local Post Office in the US and... what?  Will they need to fill out a Customs form for shipping something overseas?   When I was in the Air Force, stationed in South Korea, this is how it was done.  The mailing address was in California but they still had to fill out a Customs form for the contents.
  2. If I'm ordering something online, such as from Amazon, will I need to specify that it's going to an overseas location (for Customs)? 

I just want to make sure I give family members the correct information so that my stuff doesn't get lost or held up somewhere.  And, of course, I don't want online purchases getting lost because I forgot to tick a box. :-)

Thank you!

I see how this can be confusing.

Your Friends and Family:

They create an "invoice"  by just making one on  their computer,  print it out and put it in the package. SEND YOU A COPY!  you will upload this into the EPS system.  State things like - used clothing, value  US 10 for example.  USED PERSONAL ITEMS....etc.  Value for customs use only is a good phrase to use.

DO NOT exceed US 200 in value including cost to mail to the MIAMI address!

When buying on Amazon or any other location  - simply use the Miami address as the delivery address. NOTHING MORE.  Then you  download your receipt to your laptop or phone, then UPLOAD to CPS  website! 

Again do not buy over US  200 including shipping and you should have no issues.

To add to Planner's comments - the $200 limit includes the items, shipping, and any US sales tax!

To note: if you are charged US sales tax on Amazon shipments, you can easily request a refund by providing proof that the item was exported. I just recently found out about this and have gotten about $250 back in taxes paid over the past 18 months!

Explain to us how honey? I need to do this.

Your mail forwarder (CPS, MBE, etc.) can provide you with an Air Way Bill that shows the item was shipped out of the US. With MBE, you can go into the package detail and you'll see a link that says "Amazon Zero Tax". You enter the amazon order number and a PDF waybill is created. I'm not sure how it works with the other shippers, but I've heard they all do it. You email that to tax-exempt(at)amazon.com. They process and within 3-5 days, the tax is refunded to the payment method used.

This is what I use for my emails:

Subject: Tax Refund order #xxxxxxxxx

Please refund the tax on order #xxxxxxxxx, which was exported to the Dominican Republic.

And then I attach the PDF.

Awesome. Thanks!

Double awesome ddmcghee!

I followed your instructions and received a reply from Amazon in less than 12 house saying that I would the refund in my CC account in a few days.

Thanks again!

Double awesome ddmcghee!
I followed your instructions and received a reply from Amazon in less than 12 house saying that I would the refund in my CC account in a few days.

Thanks again!
-@crabelramble

Even better, the refund made it into my CC even before I read Amazon's email!

@crabelramble that's quick! Most of mine have taken a day or two.

I went all the way back through 2022 - they didn't deny any requests, so I'm not sure how far back you can go!

FWIW, Amazon changes your account to Sales Tax Exempt as soon as they complete your first request for a refund!

You only have to go through the process one time.

I assume that is from then on

FWIW, Amazon changes your account to Sales Tax Exempt as soon as they complete your first request for a refund!
You only have to go through the process one time.
-@crabelramble

That is not true for my account! I have had 79 orders (order dates going back to 2022) refunded since May 8, and the dozen or so orders since May 8 have all had taxes charged.

That is not true for my account! I have had 79 orders (order dates going back to 2022) refunded since May 8, and the dozen or so orders since May 8 have all had taxes charged.
-@ddmcghee

I guess I'm special!  VBG

I tried to setup an account at MBE, but the form on the website does not allow me to enter my Dutch passport number which is alphanumeric - the form only accepts numbers with digits 0-9.  Anyone else experienced similar problem? How did you solve this?

I tried to setup an account at MBE, but the form on the website does not allow me to enter my Dutch passport number which is alphanumeric - the form only accepts numbers with digits 0-9.  Anyone else experienced similar problem? How did you solve this?

-@Franco Guaguanco

After contacting the very helpful staff at MBE Las Terrenas office via email, they advised to substitute any of the non-numeric characters with a zero; making the webform accept it, and send a picture of my passport via email so they could update it in their back-end system (which I could verify/check in my new MBE account).

@Franco Guaguanco Kimberly at the Las Terrenas branch office is great!