All windows computers can write what you say

`

In case you weren't aware, all recent Windows computers now include a free and very helpful speech-to-text application.

Now your computer can write whatever you say as text on your screen.

Wherever you enter text with a keyboard .. you can enter it by talking.

To open this app in any Windows text-entry area, click your mouse where you want the text to be, and then press both your Windows Key and your H Key at the same time.

And, when you're ready, simply click on the little microphone graphic in the app window.

Now, everything that you say will be converted into written text automatically on your computer screen, starting wherever you put your mouse cursor.

You can also click on the app Settings icon, and enable Automatic Punctuation.

The application will now also punctuate the text of everything it has heard.

The app, which comes free with all the current versions of Windows, has impressive word-recognition and punctuation. If you speak clearly, you'll find errors are quite rare.

Makes writing in this Expat Forum easy as pie. 1f600.svg

Sige ppl

Does that mean you can use it to write letters also and if so how do you produce new paragraph?. If a manager is dictating a letter for his secretary to type up he will simply say new paragraph and the secretary will know exactly what it means. If I use this method the words (new paragraph) will be entered in text format.

Does that mean you can use it to write letters also and if so how do you produce new paragraph?. If a manager is dictating a letter for his secretary to type up he will simply say new paragraph and the secretary will know exactly what it means. If I use this method the words (new paragraph) will be entered in text format.    -@Cherryann01

`

Yes .. i think you have to pay for that resource matey.

Sige CA :)

`

Does that mean you can use it to write letters also and if so how do you produce new paragraph?. If a manager is dictating a letter for his secretary to type up he will simply say new paragraph and the secretary will know exactly what it means. If I use this method the words (new paragraph) will be entered in text format.    -@Cherryann01
`

Yes .. i think you have to pay for that resource matey.

Sige CA smile.png

I think I could find a solution by either dictating the full text and then manually inserting spaces to create the new paragraphs or by switching off and moving the cursor to where I want the next paragraph to start and then switch the application back on again.
`

-@Col Rootentoot

Colrooten toot said. . . .In case you weren't aware, all recent Windows computers now include a free and very helpful speech-to-text application.
Now your computer can write whatever you say as text on your screen.

Wherever you enter text with a keyboard .. you can enter it by talking.

To open this app in any Windows text-entry area, click your mouse where you want the text to be, and then press both your Windows Key and your H Key at the same time.

And, when you're ready, simply click on the little microphone graphic in the app window.

Now, everything that you say will be converted into written text automatically on your computer screen, starting wherever you put your mouse cursor.

You can also click on the app Settings icon, and enable Automatic Punctuation.

The application will now also punctuate the text of everything it has heard.

The app, which comes free with all the current versions of Windows, has impressive word-recognition and punctuation. If you speak clearly, you'll find errors are quite rare.

Makes writing in this Expat Forum easy as pie. 1f600.svg

Sige ppl

Some post brings yawns abound

Here comes Rooty Toot Toot without a sound

For Rooty Toot Toot offers no surprise

More yawns makes me roll my eyes

I can't get it to work. Could be my West Virginia accent.

I can't get it to work. Could be my West Virginia accent.

-@Moon Dog

You're from West Virginia, I'm surprised you get anything to work.

`

Haha .. yes, you're right CA, good idea.

Bob, we've another Shakespeare with us.

Haha, Moon Dog, must say, love yr arty photo

small ball, no A.I. used, just using I do get ova yrsel

Larry, haha maybe better careful Dog's a serious bikie

Cheers gents 1f600.svg

`

I can't get it to work. Could be my West Virginia accent.        -@Moon Dog

You're from West Virginia, I'm surprised you get anything to work.

-@Larry Fisher

Born in Mountain State Memorial hospital and now I'm back, less than 20 miles from my dad's farm. I'm curious, why did you feel the need to insult me?

@Moon Dog

Relax. It was all in fun.

I can't get it to work. Could be my West Virginia accent.        -@Moon DogYou're from West Virginia, I'm surprised you get anything to work.         -@Larry Fisher

Born in Mountain State Memorial hospital and now I'm back, less than 20 miles from my dad's farm. I'm curious, why did you feel the need to insult me?

-@Moon Dog

He is jealous of John Denver's Country Roads

Speech-to-text is excellent.

I could go back to typing, I guess, but for now I chew snot.

Moon Dog said. . . . Born in Mountain State Memorial hospital and now I'm back, less than 20 miles from my dad's farm. I'm curious, why did you feel the need to insult me?

(1) How far you from the highways  to nowhere?

(2) How far are you from the late Senator Robert Byrd? (Builder to highways to nowhere)

(3) Why is Biden acting like Byrd?

(3) Why is Biden acting like Byrd?

-@Enzyte Bob

He was always a Byrds fan, loves to be 8 Miles High

He was always a Byrds fan, loves to be 8 Miles High     -@mugteck

`

Who doesn't?

Cige Cige

`

@PalawOne

Welcome back, you have been missed by many on this forum.

@PalawOne
Welcome back, you have been missed by many on this forum.

-@Cherryann01

Ditto

Cherryann01 said to PalawOne. . . .Welcome back, you have been missed by many on this forum

PalawOne say hello to Col Root Toot Toot.

`

Thanks CA, Lotus and Mugteck :-)

Am also PalawOne and both of us are just getting a little tired of ***

I truly love the Philippines and my dear darling wife of 20 years, and will enjoy our Philippines farm and our new home.

Here's the completed site-works for planned two story A frame overlooking our farm valley :)

`

ODM0h7N.jpg

Moderated by Bhavna 3 months ago
Reason : Please no personal attack
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

Please note that some posts have been moderated from this thread.

Let us keep sharing positively.

Have a nice day

Bhavna

Back to the original topic: I have no problem with dictation on my Mac or iPhone. Saying "new paragraph" gets me a new paragraph.

Back to the original topic: I have no problem with dictation on my Mac or iPhone. Saying "new paragraph" gets me a new paragraph.

-@bizwizard

Good to know, thanks bizwizard.

Another way Apple's better than Microsoft?

Yes, one of several. 😜

Hillbillies are sensitive. Prove me wrong. 

@Col Rootentoot Years ago I used to follow developments in voice recognition software, led by IBM and Dragon "Naturally Speaking".  That was in the late 90's but it didn't seem practical Because you had to train the software in your voice to get about 90% accuracy and the software was expensive. I recently saw this topic posted in expat forum so I checked it on my new win 11 Lenovo laptop; I opened up Word, pressed Win+H, and the mic 🎤 pic appeared. I clicked 🎤 and it faithfully reproduced everything I said with, in my case, 100% accuracy. That it the cool part, it is so accurate with zero voice training. No need to go back and correct  voice recognition errors. This is very impressive. I have little patience with Mac OS as I often have to help my wife when she has problems with her Mac laptop. I wonder if later versions of Mac OS have this awesome capability. If it does, it will likely be a pain to use but I think it may not be available for free as part of the OS line it is for win 10-11.

@Col Rootentoot Years ago I used to follow developments in voice recognition software, led by IBM and Dragon "Naturally Speaking".  That was in the late 90's but it didn't seem practical Because you had to train the software in your voice to get about 90% accuracy and the software was expensive. I recently saw this topic posted in expat forum so I checked it on my new win 11 Lenovo laptop; I opened up Word, pressed Win+H, and the mic 🎤 pic appeared. I clicked 🎤 and it faithfully reproduced everything I said with, in my case, 100% accuracy. That it the cool part, it is so accurate with zero voice training. No need to go back and correct  voice recognition errors. This is very impressive. I have little patience with Mac OS as I often have to help my wife when she has problems with her Mac laptop. I wonder if later versions of Mac OS have this awesome capability. If it does, it will likely be a pain to use but I think it may not be available for free as part of the OS line it is for win 10-11.

-@danfinn

`

Dan, you've mirrored our experiences over time exactly.

Couldn't agree more Dan. Also, awesome 100% accuracy.

Should benefit many Microsoft Windowers going forward.

Thanks for relating your positive experiences with this App.

Cheers always matey

`

I let my pinkies hit the keyboard and I can correct at will, I can sing/hum or listen to/watch the news. At least a small part of my body is exercising, fingers and brain.

Dictating to a stenographer or a computer these days in my opinion requires a pre written tabloid or else there will still be mistakes that have to be corrected from the original thoughts/meanings. Proof reading still required.

Any way old school here while I sit on my HP typing as my Mac is doing other things.

Cheers Steve.

`

Yes mostly agree. We also find it's great for speaking journals.

Thinking is helpful .. but thoughts are soon forgotten. It's when

thoughts are formed into speech .. they greatly clarify thoughts.

Also good for long-term sit-reps, and for brain-storming thinking

My wife loves reading them, and always knows what I'm thinking

1f60e.svg1f600.svg

`

I let my pinkies hit the keyboard and I can correct at will, I can sing/hum or listen to/watch the news. At least a small part of my body is exercising, fingers and brain.
Dictating to a stenographer or a computer these days in my opinion requires a pre written tabloid or else there will still be mistakes that have to be corrected from the original thoughts/meanings. Proof reading still required.
Any way old school here while I sit on my HP typing as my Mac is doing other things.

Cheers Steve.

-@bigpearl

I remember the old days very well - sat at a typewriter with a bottle of snopake or one of them little sheets that you used to type over if you made a mistake to remove the letter. It was a right pain trying to line everything up again so all the letters were level. I do not miss those days one bit.

One thing I do miss though is an actual hand written letter from a long distance  sweetheart - nothing will ever replace the excitement  of seeing the letter in the post, recognising the hand writing and the anticipation of opening and reading it. I met my ex wife in Latvia and we corresponded by letter for over a year before we actually saw each other face to face again. Started off as pen friends and the relationship developed from there.

@Col Rootentoot yes these text to speech funtions are helpful

Cheers Steve.

-@bigpearl

Hi Steve, it's not like dictation in an office, it is just speaking and having it transcribe your words exactly as you speak. You can speak as slowly or quickly as you want. It seems to know to ignore a lot of the filler sounds like um and ah; in my previous job I sometimes had to testify in court and the stenographers there will transcribe every sound coming out of your mouth. If you are not careful, your written account will be very embarrassing when the CEO reads what you told the court "um um ahem ahhh" lol but this program is pretty good. Also, you can turn on settings and have it auto-punctuate. That is pretty cool where it knows where to insert a question mark etc..