EV Buggy rooftop solar panel and converter to charge

Anyone in the PH sphere that has a couple of solar panels on the rooftop of a Chinese senior EV buggy??  Cost and potential savings?

Can't get enough watts from a rooftop solar panel, unless you let it sit for days. That would probably be enough for a few Km.

As above. The best (most expensive) panels are going to charge the battery slowly.

However, if it's sitting around more than it's used, solar might well be an option on such a small vehicle.

Where is the system availble (near Cebu) and what is the cost for two panels and converter

Where is the system availble (near Cebu) and what is the cost for two panels and converter

-@Ozzie43

There's this thing on the interwebs called Google. If you type in: Solar Power system in Cebu" then hit the "enter" key, I suspect you'll get a bunch of results. I'm sure you can find someone to sell you the system.

@Ozzie43

OMO but that would be a retro fit and 2 x 410 what panels will be bigger than the golf cart roof @ 2 x 1M each. Then trying to find an invertor to match the voltage and load.

Probably better to plug it in at home, stick the solar panels up on the roof or bring it here and you can charge for free from 1PM as we make too much power at the moment.

As Lotus states wisely let your fingers do the walking for local suppliers but be careful and do your research first. Perhaps a feasibility study on the cost of a solar hook up or plug it into the grid.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

golly gee whiz

Ozzie43 said. . . . golly gee whiz

Cheez Wizz is available at S&R and Landers, I prefer mine with pimentos. Google it.

You could attach a 20 foot flatbed behind your electric rickshaw, that would hold many solar panels.

Seriously and gee whiz and cheese whiz aside Ozzie34 needs to do a lot of research if wanting to venture down that path. Firstly Ozzie are you going to leave it in the sun all day? Thinking that driving around the golf course or roads will charge the batteries enough over demand isn't going to happen, Realism is called for and plenty of research.

There are a few EV's out there that incorporate built in solar panels on the roof and sides, basically a car clad in solar panels and guess what the brag is? An extra 60 or 70 kilometers per week providing you park it in full sun.

Look at the charge rate to fully charge the buggies batteries on the grid and the cost over the cost of investing in a supposed system that will in my opinion let you down, ROI, as Bob said tow a trailer with more panels, you'll need plenty. we have 28 panels on the roof or 11.4Kw to run the house, solar is great but has to be sized to suit demand with no skimping, add 20/30%. same as tiles or paint.

Good luck with your research and sizing the correct system.

Cheers, Steve.

Not a golf cart...Chinese EV with much larger roof.  Yes, my dear man, I went to Google....no locations and no prices....but thanks for your "support".  From what I can find, I am sticking to my wall outlet.

@Ozzie43

You can do it for sure and I'm surprised you can't find a solar supplier in/around Cebu, there are a dozen companies here up in La Union 6 hours north from Manila.

My reckoning opinion is simple , why stick solar panels on your EV instead of on your home so you can make use in house and EV when parked in the garage? As said do the math. Simply say 2 large panels delivering 800 watts but at say 80% efficiency = less than 500 watts for say 6 hours per day or 3Kw. What is your EV going to consume in an hour of driving?

So the specs on your EV come into this, battery size, Kw consumption and the usage period. Driving down the road if you are allowed for half an hour for shopping and half an hour back will generate 5/600 watts at the given voltage. Driving for an hour will consume far more than those solar panels can generate. Best on the house roof contributing to your power bill then plug in your EV, don't leave it out in the weather.

Mentioned before, research. My quick search on google reveals 5 companies in your area. The company we employed is 3/4 hours drive from here, they have been great.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Anyone in the PH sphere that has a couple of solar panels on the rooftop of a Chinese senior EV buggy??  Cost and potential savings?

-@Ozzie43

Solar won't really cut it but there is a Florida company, Daymark, selling these things anyway, whatever their drawbacks may be. Quote:

"Despite what you may have heard on the street, mobility scooters aren't exactly the most sexy of the micro-EV options out there. But they just got a bit cooler now that Daymak has launched an awesome new solar powered enclosed mobility scooter!

It even comes complete with all the creature comforts you could want, including air conditioning, back up camera, stereo system and more. Read on to see why I'm going to be the coolest millennial pulling up to the shuffleboard match in West Palm Beach."

I hope it would come with a plug as well lol. Guess what? It only took me one Google search to find it 1f923.svg

Can't get enough watts from a rooftop solar panel, unless you let it sit for days. That would probably be enough for a few Km.        -@pnwcyclist

Check this one out lol: https colon slash slash electrek dot co/2019/05/14/boomerbuggy-x-solar-powered-electric-scooter/

boomerbuggy-header.jpg?w=1500&quality=82&strip=all&ssl=1

boomerbuggy-header.jpg?w=1500&quality=82&strip=all&ssl=1

Figure that a 200 watt solar panel which is typically something like 27"x58".  With that it would take something like 20+ hours of peak sun to charge a 500Ah battery.   From what I understand, golf carts typically use something like 60Wh per mile on level ground. That would mean a range of something like 100 miles.  Now golf carts only go something like 10 miles per hour so aren't suited to using in traffic with vehicles that go much faster.  All that, to me, says a solar powered, useful EV is impractical. 

All that being said, a simple EV of that size, would be great for for developing economies like the Philippines.   It's even something that could be produced locally. Think of an electric Isetta.  I might even buy one.

1024px-BMW_Isetta_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg

I agree with Kjwilde, its not Feasable, if it was, it would already have been marketed and readily available,  even with the Chinese models.

Maybe in the future as solar tech evolves but for now be better to install a few more panels at your home and plug in instead of trying to fit on your EV roof...

Ozzie43 and others. . . . Anyone in the PH sphere that has a couple of solar panels on the rooftop of a Chinese senior EV buggy??  Cost and potential savings?

Don't be in a hurry putting solar panels on your Tesla.

Hertz is selling 20,000 Teslas which is 80% of their EV fleet. Some as low as $21K, they plan on using the money to buy more gasoline cars.

Huh?

Yes Bob you need to do the math, very easy and an EV with 2 solar panels on the roof won't add/take it much further, as said earlier, stich the panels on the home and plug in grid tied or stand alone. The thought of free power in an EV hotch potch on the roof of an EV is a waste of time, research and the figures ad up or they don't.

Do the math.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl said. . . Yes Bob you need to do the math, very easy and an EV with 2 solar panels on the roof won't add/take it much further, as said earlier, stich the panels on the home and plug in grid tied or stand alone. The thought of free power in an EV hotch potch on the roof of an EV is a waste of time, research and the figures ad up or they don't.
Do the math.
Cheers, Steve.

I've done the math,

Google Car Roof Rack, simply buy a car roof rack, rent a crane and put your house on top of your Tesla.