VOIP service for us expats

What is the best voip service to use in order to port and keep your US cellphone number while living permanently in the Dominican Republic?

I guess buying  a vpn and porting your number into google voice is the best cheapest option.

I kept my Mint account and added a second eSIM with Altice. Mint uses wifi when I'm at home, uses Altice data otherwise. Alitce is about $1600 DOP for the plan I'm on, and Mint is about the same.

@alvarez7361 Hey there I use a combination of Clara 30 gb per month and Magicjack, I have only been here one month, it is working out great. I am a Canadian so the number I port is from Canada

I have been using magicjack for the past 10 years here.  It's as reliable as the claro service is...  You can call unlimited anywhere in North America without incurring long distance charges.  Also, Magicjack to magicjack any where in the world.

Otherwise, messenger and whatsapp  as long as the other party has them too.

Yes, I have my Canadian phone number and you can have your existing number ported...

We use Voiply, VOIP, which has a an internet connection in my home and also has a phone app whereby we can make/receive calls at no additional charge. They will, however, charge for calls to cell phones in the Dominican.....I think about .09 usd/min.  We are pleased that w can call many other countries as well. Of course, we show the US phone number we once had.

We used a couple of different VOIP products, but then my US banks started requiring a US phone number that was attached to a SIM - physical or eSim. I switched to a Mint Mobile plan for $15/month and it works like a charm! the best thing is that when I return to the US, I just switch my cellular data from the Claro to the Mint Sim and no roaming!

@Gaurav Raghani

thanks  will look into it 

@TRSinCO

thank you

@Joguy

thanks, never heard of MagicJack  will look it up

@DominicanadaMike

thanks

@ckhii

thanks  will look into that 

@ddmcghee

thanks  will look into that as well 

@alvarez7361 - Hello , You could lower your cell phone bill by using a company that leases tmobile towers. At the time if this posting they have plans for only $15 per month. Here is their link - http://fbuy.me/uMLyS

If you use this link it may give you a $15 credit towards your plan as well as a referral credit for me. I use a local Dominican Plan for my data

and wi fi to make free calls to the USA.

Many phones are dual sim (chip and a esim card) so this is possible.

You can use whatsapp for talking to family and friends when you are outside your home.

@classygringo That's the $15 Mint Mobile plan I mentioned above.

I found Zello a while ago.

It works like a walkie talkie on your phone and is proving to be a really handy app for discussions between groups of old friends.

You can set up your own group and get old mates to join it.

There are also nets to discuss a wide range of topics  with whomever happens to be a member of any given group. Loads are listed on Facebook and such places. I joined a few of them as well. If they don't suit your tastes, you simply exit the group.

@ddmcghee - yes it is, but if someone clicks that link they may get a $15 renewal credit. 1f603.svg