My 1st year: Things done, things learned (very long)

So my first year in Cebu (Argao), Philippines is complete. I'm going to forget some things, but for the newer or future expat, especially Americans, I'll give a long winded write-up on things that I've learned, gone through, and observations.

The setup: I was 63 already with a fiancé (10 yrs younger) in the province in Cebu, Philippines. She already had her own home, and small back-yard piggery as well as a profitable sari-sari store. Nothing special. But she built it herself over the years on 700sqm property, so it will be our home. She's never been married and no kids. But as normal, a large family in the area as she grew up here (mostly).

I worked my ass off to save as much money as possible to help our retirement when I'm on Social Security after Jan 1 2023. I planned accordingly and retired in early October 2022. I spent the next 5-6 weeks getting everything together. Including fulfilling a butt load of requirements to bring my dog, a trained Belgian Malinois not only on the trip, but in cabin on the plane. Not an easy task to convince an airline on international flights to allow your dog in-cabin. Plus all the pet import requirements. I won't go into detail, feel free to ask if you want to know.

I planned the previous 5 yrs to not load a container. Bringing only the minimum, and I loaded up a balikbayan box for things I wanted but was too much to carry on the plane. Such has new same brand batter powered hand tools like drill, air pump (highly suggest), angle grinder etc with multiple batteries and a charger. Extra large bottles of shampoo because unlike you, I have beautiful hair 1f606.svg, six-pack of toothpaste, twenty pounds of my favorite coffee beans (It may take a while to find real coffee you like), about 12 dozen replacement blades for my shaver, some hand tools but minor because of weight. I also packed extra sandals, tennis shoes, new Levi's (not needed), some things I wanted just for memories. I really pared down my life in this box and my luggage. Plan on two months minimum for delivery to Phils a Balikbayan box.

I bought two new largest I could find full rolling suitcases to go along with my largest allowed carry-on. My luggage did include some gifts for my honey, including a full set of Wusthof kitchen knives which are very expensive. Obviously for check-in luggage only. I wouldn't suggest loading into balikbayan box. But basically my luggage was everything else I would own entering the Philippines.

When our day to depart finally arrived we drove from Las Vegas (sis-in-law drove us) to LAX for our evening flight. This took extra planning for Buddy in regards to feeding time and limited water before flight. I had some pills that would relax him if he got too antsy. But he's been in my semi on the road with me for 3 yrs and has "working dog training" and is tagged as a service dog. So I didn't expect an issue. But I planned just in case and brought pet pee-pads just in case. They weren't needed. We arrived LAX WAY early because of Buddy. Extra things have to be done, airlines check-in included. We were flying Business class for three reasons. 1. more comfort for Buddy. 2. More comfort from the airlines with our "service dog" internationally (forget US laws on this folks). 3. My comfort, reward and enjoyment for a long working life moving into retirement.

Boarding, I used the extra priority of "disabled" with service dog & business class seating to be one of the 1st three to board. This was a good choice as it gave us time to setup Buddy to be comfortable with so many people walking by to board. No issues. The first leg to Taipei was easy. Buddy relaxed the whole time, about 14 hrs. He'd accompany me to the head and this was a non-issue as the heads in first class are much bigger than herd-class. Taipei airport has no "pet areas" like LAX does. But they had a outdoor smoking area. I took him out there and found a spot for him to pee. But that's it. The flight from Taipei to Cebu was almost empty in business class. The stewardesses loved Buddy, even taking selfies with him. But they also rolled out and made up the bed in the seat next to us, blanket, sheet and all for him to lay on. I love EVA airlines! Easy 5 hr flight, no issues.

Arriving Cebu 6am, even before Immigration, I was pulled aside for Buddy's clearance papers and fees. I had all the proper paperwork so it was no issue at all. Except they wanted php for the fee. I left my bags with the officer and he let us walk out (beyond immigration) to forex and get php and return. Once we cleared everything, and walk out to be met by my fiancé and our ride I gave them the bags and for anyone that knows Cebu international, I knew there was an open field 50 yards from the building. I cut Buddy loose over there and he happily went to do his business. Basically 24 hrs+ since his last poop. Our 3 hr trip to home from the airport was only interrupted by a stop at S&R for dog food and a few supplies.

So this year started November 26th 2022. Finally in Argao. Our home is on a 700 sqm plot. It's a small two bedroom home.  The only AC was in the bedroom. An old window type AC unit. One of the first things I bought was a replacement window AC for the bedroom, and moved the old one into the dining area to help cool the front room. It wasn't great, but it was something. She had 5 dogs. One wanted to attack me constantly (he was chained up) and anytime he was loose he'd start a fight with Buddy. Buddy was actually avoiding the fight for some time. But eventually he got fed up with that shit. A Belgian Malinois is not the dog you want to get mad. We had that dog removed and sent to her mom's house. Otherwise it would end up dead, and possibly Buddy injured too. Rabies? They don't pay for rabies shots here! (I do with Buddy of course)

Our first "improvement" was to add a flushing type toilet vs bucket type.  Before I came out, she had purchased a heated shower and had that installed too. But to use it all other water on the property must be off. The pressure is weak, but it's warm.

Next up was a car. I decided that going to Landers or S&R every few weeks would be worth a car. Delia's cousin (mom's sister side) works at Mitsubishi in Talisay. I literally bought a new 2023 Mirage (don't need more) for cash via Facebook Messenger. We agreed on color, equip, price, and they sent me the dealer's banking info. I had a wire sent from my US bank to the dealership account. This took one month to clear. But during that time we had a cement pad made in front of the house and gate to park the car when it arrived. January the car arrived. No more busses to Immigration for visa extensions. City trips become doable in more comfort.

Next was replacing the lousy fencing that's always getting torn up by weather, dogs, etc. So we started around the back. About 2 foot high hollow block topped with 6 feet of interlink, topped with 3 strands barbed wire. It's the norm here to top with barb wire. Around the front we went with 3 meter high hollow block, topped with 3 meters of polished stainless steel. We added a stainless steel rolling gate (sideways rolling). Manual for us. No need to pay for motorized. We had the gate also built with a man-door. During all of this I also added a new dual inverter split aircon in the front room where I am mostly.

Once the walls and gates were done, we tore down the old porch bamboo benches in front of her store. We had a steel girder roof and cement benches and table installed. This gives some comfort to people especially when it's raining. Or they just want to relax with a beer in the shade. It's also in front of our Piso Wifi machine.

We added PLDT fiber internet! YAY baseball and football (NFL) games live stream! Delia's gotten hooked on Netflix! lol

We added a cement pad continuous from the parking pad/driveway along one side of the home. This really cleaned up the property. No more muddy mess during high rains.

Our most recent home improvement was a bladder type 1hp water pump with a 1000 gal tank. This is only hooked up to the CR for the shower and toilet at the moment. We didn't add it to the rest of the pipes because the little piggies don't need to get hit with 41 psi when they put their mouth around the drinker. lol We'll look at changes as needed.

Smaller additions are a deep freezer. This allows me to get more meat and bigger meat when I go to Cebu City every few weeks. I bought a offset smoker and have been making smoked brisket (USDA choice beef), pulled pork, Carribean Jerk chicken. So getting a better price to buy 3-4 frozen briskets makes it worth while to have. One brisket takes up the kitchen freezer pretty well and gives little room for other meats.

I like BEEF. I like good quality USDA choice or better beef. I like good pork! Filipino beef is not good quality. I have been to the wet market when the beef carcass arrives. It's terrible quality. Tough, no marbling, skinny ass cows. Unfortunately, Landers and S&R are really not much better with the imported beef they have! The most often used term to sucker people into buying those frozen steaks are "USDA Certified Angus". I can show you Wagyu that's low quality. Just because it has a name (Angus or Wagyu) does not mean it's quality. And adding USDA alone means nothing. None of those things signify a GRADE of meat. So if you want Choice or Prime, you have to shop. And it's expensive! Double US prices, and then some sometimes. However, I can buy a USDA choice beef brisket for a bit over $100 US and smoke it, slice it up and bag it in meal sizes, and freeze it. Drop it in the bag in boiling water and it'll heat up and be juicy and tasty as ever! Buying pork. We raise pigs for the meat shop! But she doesn't want to eat the piggies she's raised. We buy pork at Landers, the quality is ok, and recently I got them to custom butcher a pork butt for smoking pulled pork. But remember those nice knives I brought? I can also cut up meat the way I want. I can get landers to sell me larger pieces, (they're refrigerated) and I can cut up how we want and put into the new deep freezer. Worth the effort. Wet market butchers are terrible at it mostly. And it's important to get there when they bring the carcass in or it may have been sitting there amongst the flies for hours.

Customer service in the Philippines. It's basically non-existent. Hotels in the city and resorts will offer some customer service. But beyond that, to say it's limited, might be an exaggeration.

To wit: I ordered a top of the line USA made KitchenAid stand mixer via Lazada. This comes from the actual KitchenAid store in Makati. It sat in the store for a week while they had my money (Basically $500 US) and hadn't shipped. I sent in a chat, when will it ship? Apologies, sir will ship soon. It sat for another three days. I now see they have the same model, different color, for about $60 us less! I canceled the order, and ordered the sale price different color unit. They refused the cancelation and the original suddenly shipped! So I successfully canceled the sale price unit. Five days later the unit arrives. The mixing bowl has a dent and crack in the top of the stainless steel! Ok, stuff happens. I got on Lazada chat with the store to get a new bowl sent to me. Two hours of conversation and back and forth and they insist they must actually receive and inspect before sending me a new replacement bowl. Mind you this is a bowl that they sell for less than 5000p on a 30,000p mixer. They say they'll pick up the broke bowl and send me tracking info and everything. I ask to BUY a new bowl and when they get the broke one they can refund me. NOPE! TWO WEEKS later and they still haven't had the bowl picked up. But worse is we're bumping up into the deadline for full replacement. Screw this. I chat directly with Lazada customer service and they agree to take my return of the entire unit. I take it to the local J&T and they have the tracking label there and everything. One week later I have full refund! Over a stupid mixing bowl that's broken. I then found the same product on sale for 3000p less with free shipping and ordered that! It has shipped and should be here by Friday. Two months to get a $500 mixer! You'd expect slightly better customer service. It's normal here!

Money: Ok, so I arrived here with $9800 USD. No need to declare, and cash to exchange as needed. I was blowing through that kinda fast. I mean Buddy's dog for (he has to eat top grade US food) costs over $100usd per 35lb bag. That's about 3 weeks food. And I eat too good. Buying imported meat mostly. Except chicken and pork. I tried using ATM's to get cash as needed. Works fine. Except when it doesn't give you the money but you get charged for the withdrawal of 10,000p. Good luck with the bank if it happened on a weekend. And the charges. Paying 250p for each 10,000p withdrawal when we have all the construction stuff going on. Plus the small amount of vig on the exchange rate. ouch. But thanks to folks here, I tried Remitly. Now I just send $1000 US to myself as needed for $5 and small vig if I need cash.

Mail: I use a mail service in Las Vegas. I get bank mail and basically that's it. Debit card arrives, they send me an email, and I pay $150 to have it in a few days. Too much, but whatever. Official gov mail goes to my sister-in-law in Vegas and she shows me what it is. Haven't needed to respond to anything so no big deals.

Overall, I've spent roughly $50,000.00 in the year. However, I'm not wealthy. I expected to spend a fair amount on property improvements and did. Plus $13k of that was the car. And a 4 day trip to Thailand for Delias first trip abroad. We stayed in nice hotel and spent some money there! Over $3k including airfare and hotel. Our home is now very comfortable for me. And she likes it too. She basically works 7 days a week with her store and supervising her piggery. I pay all electric and food bills. She gets to save money in the bank and pay the water bill. She's very frugal. Mostly very protective of where I spend and how much. She doesn't want anything. I got very lucky. No need to build a home, and no rent to pay. We live comfortably.

I know it's a very long post. Not exciting. But it's meant only to give an idea of things I've run across or dealt with in my first year to help the next guy.

I hope this gives small bits of insight for the next person to prepare themselves.

Larry

Very insightful, thanks for that.

@Larry Fisher You mentioned many things that merit their own threads but I can see what you are doing. Just the same, one thing that you wrote got my attention:

I had a wire sent from my US bank to the dealership account. This took one month to clear.

Really? One month? I did a wire transfer from my USA bank to Toyota in Dumaguete for around 2M php. That took 3 days to clear. Frankly I think that is unacceptable. They are getting free interest from your money as they gamble for a better exchange rate and build up their average dollar reserves. Also, I think the Toyota dealer here would not allow their bank to delay a business deal for so long. For me, I would get nervous because delays like that make it easier for pilferage to occur.

But I also realize this is a tiny amount of what you said and do not wish to take too much attention away from your other useful and excellent points.

Larry Fisher said. . . .To wit: I ordered a top of the line USA made KitchenAid stand mixer via Lazada. This comes from the actual KitchenAid store in Makati. It sat in the store for a week while they had my money (Basically $500 US) and hadn't shipped.

Wish I would have know, I have two unopened N.I.B. Kitchen Aid Mixers (5 1/2 quart & 6 quart) 120V and I believe we even have the grinder attachments.

I sent these in Balikan Boxes years ago.

Fantastic write up, Larry - thank you for that. You have certainly accomplished a lot in this first year.

I brought our Kitchen Aid mixer over, lol. Heavy sucker. On sale for $250 at Macy's a few years back. Of course it is US voltage so needs a decent transformer, which added $50 to the cost.

Fantastic write up, Larry - thank you for that. You have certainly accomplished a lot in this first year.I brought our Kitchen Aid mixer over, lol. Heavy sucker. On sale for $250 at Macy's a few years back. Of course it is US voltage so needs a decent transformer, which added $50 to the cost.        -@pnwcyclist

We brought ours over too. Looks nice on the shelf in full view. I used it mostly to make ground beef and ground pork. Have not tried that here yet. We bought ours at Macy's as well.

Well done Larry, I'm sure you will enjoy the next 12 months also.

Cheers, Steve.

Well done Larry, so glad that your enjoying life there even with the poor customer service and I am sure the first year must be the toughest so hope that things continue to go well.

I should have ended with a "Best advice": Post to expat.com when you need a Kitchenaid Mixer. There will likely be 6 offers to sell you theirs' 1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg

@danfinn I was making a lot of noise to the dealership. It was supposedly their bank holding it up to clear. I even was on the horn to the dealership's bank making noise. There was also some b.s. suggestion it was normal for money laundering prevention. yea, ok.

The lack of communication and transparency in the bank transaction was another indicator about the lack of customer service in the Philippines.

Yes Larry, banks. We have transferred 1.2 up to 2M from Australia to BDO here multiple times and 1 to 2 days we get a all from the bank,,, sir did you know etc. etc.

Buying a new car over 4 years ago we gave them a 100K cask deposit and same day wired the balance to their account, told the manager 2 max 3 days to clear. A week later he calls, no money sir, told him the funds cleared my bank on day one so go and talk to your bank, yes sir. Day 9, I called them, no funds sir. No problem return the deposit and we will purchase elsewhere. Day 10 they delivered the car and fine.

Turns out the branch we purchased the car from don't have their own bank but go through their head office in Pampanga,,,,, that's where the money was sitting and me saying we will walk away got the manager off his tardy derriere. LOL, then he had the cheek to ask for an extra 280 pesos for the bank transfer fees, sorry mate go talk to your bank as there are no fees bank to bank on the net.

I loved your OP Larry and I'm sure in the end you can add chapter 2, I could write a book but you can pick up my ups and downs with my submissions over the years and I'm sure most expats go through the same dramas.

As said the second year will be just as frustrating but us foreigners we slowly learn the ropes and it becomes easier and we learn to simply smile and generally take it on the chin unless a blow up is required.

Cheers, Steve.

@Larry Fisher ...I was making a lot of noise to the dealership. It was supposedly their bank holding it up to clear. I even was on the horn to the dealership's bank making noise. There was also some b.s. suggestion it was normal for money laundering prevention. yea, ok.

Well the way it should work is: You are the Customer trying to transfer many pesos into the hands of some dealership trying to make a profit. But the bank is holding up the transaction for an unreasonable time (BS on the money laundering. I have made such transfers many times in 4 days max). The battle should be between the bank, who is usng your moneyto make money, and the dealership who needs your money to make money but they act neutral and unconcerned.  You should be in the middle and let them work it out, that would be normal, but this is the Philippines where employees do not think like that. Instead, they are thinking that you want the car, but you can wait. We will get the bank's money when the bank is ready, no big deal for us. "Not my problem". And the business's remote management never does anything to correct these employee attitudes.

Funny thing about buying that car. I as many already know have a temporary plate on it from the dealership. Drive right out, it's all paid for right? And the registration is covered for three years. So no need to go to LTO for 3 yrs (that's a very good thing).

But when you buy a motorcycle you must wait 30 days to get it? And the plate is a different process too? I haven't purchased a bike here but just sounds all whacked to me.

*I have to refrain from using the term "scooter" like in the old days talking about our Harley's. Because ya, they're actually scooters here! 1f923.svg

Larry, i have not bought a car in Pinas, not sure if i need to...how ever i have a Pinas licence which is 10 years from applying for it from LTO Alabel...you understand how i got it right *?*...anyways i also bought an RFI 175 from Gensan Rusi.

I received all the paper work 4 days later, insurance and 3 years LTO i suspect which is all apart of the new thingy they do here now.....but my licence plate is an authorised improvised plate number which i received on my paper work and put it on my RFI the same day i got my paper work for P200.

The actual licence plate could take 2 years for me to receive 1f923.svg

I have followed up why it would or could take so long and the story line i got from both dealership & LTO along with the local police station that helped me out with my 10 year drivers licence plastic open legal licence card...im being cyrptic here...told me the same thing....the captain said to my wife..."dont hold your breath Mam waiting for it"

For banking transfers from where ever you are from HSBC Global Accounts will give you the floating rate...no other bank apart from the reserve bank of the Phillipines will give you such an exchange rate.

BPI is not that far behind although nowhere near as competitive as HSBC Global.

Metro is the only other bank that offers foreigners bank accounts without paper work.

Wishing you all the best with your new car.

Have fun fun fun

Larry Fisher said. . . .To wit: I ordered a top of the line USA made KitchenAid stand mixer via Lazada. This comes from the actual KitchenAid store in Makati. It sat in the store for a week while they had my money (Basically $500 US) and hadn't shipped.
Wish I would have know, I have two unopened N.I.B. Kitchen Aid Mixers (5 1/2 quart & 6 quart) 120V and I believe we even have the grinder attachments.
I sent these in Balikan Boxes years ago.

-@Enzyte Bob

Well Bob, here's your chance! lol. So I got my refund from Lazada on the mixer. Then promptly ordered another one from KitchenAid, on sale, for LESS! I've kept an eye on it via tracking. It showed it was out for delivery today, this morning. This afternoon, I checked again as the guys that normally deliver to us are usually here earlier. But hey it's a big box so I understand delays on motorcycle. NOPE! Lazada shows REFUND SUCCESS! ....SAY WUT?

It looks like they are refunding because of a "bad delivery address". The same address that gets 2-3 Lazada orders a week at times! But Ninjavan still shows out for delivery today. So whodahell knows for sure. But I might be able to take one of those 110v mixers off your hands! 1f923.svg

That's weird Larry, we have had big and heavy boxes of stuff delivered here with no problems. Last was 2 oscillating wall fans and a week earlier 3 x 52"  ceiling fans in one package quite large. perhaps contact Ninja and see what's going on or wait until your refund clears and reorder? Send a msg to the supplier?

Ben said to me the other day,,,,,,, let's get a blender and a coffee bean grinder, something else I can't remember and I said to him firstly we have a coffee grinder here from Australia that we never use and the other things you want we had in Oz and we left them there as never used. Forget it.

Sometimes dealing with some vendors on Shopee and Lazada is a breeze but some are totally dim.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl, yea I'm waiting till the money hit's my account.

@bigpearl, yea I'm waiting till the money hit's my account.

-@Larry Fisher

Be patient Larry and hang with me on this:

When I was in Cebu City recently I stayed at the Seda hotel next to the Ayala Mall (  formerly the Marriot that I stayed in 10 years ago).

Requested a high floor quiet room on an advanced booking -1 month before.

They put me on a low floor over the loading bay where all the deliveries come in. I rolled with that as I was only checked in for 2 nights.

At 1 am in the morning on the 2nd night the hotel staff started vacumming the room next door. Complained to reception who said they would investigate. Cleaning stopped. 30 minutes later the goddamn bedside phone woke me up again apologising for the inconvenience caused and ' is everything ok' - no you could not make this up if you tried.

I said I want a meeting with the General Manager ( not the duty manager) the next morning dont call me again.

By the time I checked out the GM had not made contact. I subsequently posted an excoriating critique of the GM (Miss Gwen Dela Cruz) on Trip Advisor.

Later that day a groveling response to my post by the GM stating that a full refund would be made for both nights. Her secretary emailed me for my IBAN account details. Transfers this route are immediate. 3 weeks later the refund hit my account.

Moral of the story. When any Filipino or Filipino corporation says they will refund you be patient. It's akin to the western expression ' the cheques in the post' ;)

bigpearl said. . . . .That's weird Larry, we have had big and heavy boxes of stuff delivered here with no problems. Last was 2 oscillating wall fans and a week earlier 3 x 52"  ceiling fans in one package quite large.

Kitchenaid  mixers weigh a ton, A motor bike would have two flat tires on the way to Larry's.

bigpearl said. . . . .That's weird Larry, we have had big and heavy boxes of stuff delivered here with no problems. Last was 2 oscillating wall fans and a week earlier 3 x 52"  ceiling fans in one package quite large.
Kitchenaid  mixers weigh a ton, A motor bike would have two flat tires on the way to Larry's.

-@Enzyte Bob

I lol'd. The first one, which we returned because of a broken bowl upon arrival was delivered by one of our regular delivery guys on MC. He knows I have a battery powered tire pump with digital dial  -in psi.

It's akin to the western expression ' the cheques in the post' wink.png-@Lotus Eater

We also say in another language:

"The check is in the mail"

😀

Lazada has always been pretty quick to refund my bank card. Usually 1-3 days.

With regard to ATM fees, etc. Does anyone here ever consider a Charles Schwab Checking Account?  At least for Americans.

It's free to open and no minimum deposit. A balance of just $100 and they send you a debit card.  Can be done 100% online.

It refunds all ATM fees worldwide and there are no foreign transaction fees.  Seems like a no-brainer for the expat lifestyle.

Charlie Schwab sounds easy enough, except many places require cash.  We have made some major purchases (fans, airconditioner)  that gave us a 2% discount by paying cash.  In Hawaii we were charged an additional 3% for using a card .

Charlie Schwab sounds easy enough, except many places require cash.  We have made some major purchases (fans, airconditioner)  that gave us a 2% discount by paying cash.  In Hawaii we were charged an additional 3% for using a card .

-@mugteck

Yes exactly.  That's the beauty of the Schwab Checking.  I don't use it as my go to card when paying for things electronically, it's meant for pulling cash at ATMs.  Since it doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee and refunds 100% of ATM fees, you get the exact exchange rate on the day and whatever fee the bank tries to charge you, Schwab refunds it back to you.  It also has a decent daily limit of $1000. 

I live in basically a 100% cash based society now, and it's my go to for pulling local currency without penalty.  No remitley or wire transfer fees. 

@MustacheScience

With regard to ATM fees, etc. Does anyone here ever consider a Charles Schwab Checking Account?  At least for Americans.

Thank you for pointing that out. I was aware of the outfit but did not realise that overseas ATM charges are refunded. I'm with Chase UK (part of the US owned JP Morgan Chase) They don't charge transaction charges  but I do get hit on the ATM charges.

Moreover I was not aware that Brits could apply for the card - they can.

Even though I'm not resident in the Philippines I will apply for this card next week after talking with the London office.

A question I raised before and is still unanswered. How do you make a deposit into your Schwab account?

For example I bank with Citibank, my SS is directly deposited into that account. So if I was to have a Schwab account, I would have to transfer money from Citibank to Schwab. Would Schwab reimburse me the fee from Wise in the transfer to them?

So that doesn't work out for me, I'll just have Wise transfer to BDO.

A question I raised before and is still unanswered. How do you make a deposit into your Schwab account?
For example I bank with Citibank, my SS is directly deposited into that account. So if I was to have a Schwab account, I would have to transfer money from Citibank to Schwab. Would Schwab reimburse me the fee from Wise in the transfer to them?

-@Enzyte Bob

Schwab doesn't charge anything to transfer money to them. In the U.S. I bank with Wells Fargo and just have an auto transfer from them to Schwab that clears in a couple of business days. I transfer enough to cover whatever cash needs I might have for the month. It's pretty straight forward.

My wife uses Citibank and does the same. Very easy, no fees.

-@Enzyte Bob

Also not sure why you would be charged a fee for a bank to bank transfer from Citi to Schwab.  Don't need a middle man like Wise.

-@mugteck

I may be wrong but the way I read this is that if you have the Charles Schwab account and you are willing to and have the time to make multiple withdrawals since 10,000 pesos seems to be the limit for one withdrawal, there are no ATM charges. So let us say you need 200,000 pesos, then you would need to make 20 withdrawals and would save the ATM charge which i seem to remember was 250 pesos per transaction. You would therefore be able to save 5000 pesos on ATM fees and still pay for your major purchase in cash and  get the2% discount for paying with cash.

I do not have a Schwab account, was just stating how it is to one's advantage to do mostly cash transactions here in the Philippines.

@MustacheScience

Thank you for pointing that out. I was aware of the outfit but did not realise that overseas ATM charges are refunded. I'm with Chase UK (part of the US owned JP Morgan Chase) They don't charge transaction charges  but I do get hit on the ATM charges.
Moreover I was not aware that Brits could apply for the card - they can.
Even though I'm not resident in the Philippines I will apply for this card next week after talking with the London office.

I think us Brits could just transfer sufficient funds into the Charles Schwab account a week or so before we leave the country and take a second card just for emergency use. I may consider doing the same. I currently bank with the RBS but also have an ISA with the Halifax Bank and their Clarity Credit Card. Like you I do get stung for the ATM fees overseas but not for transaction charges.

-@Lotus Eater

@Cherryann01

Precisely :)

Many banks over here have a very low  maximum amount you can withdraw at one time china bank allow me up to 40 thousand pesos at one time. just press other amount and enter 40 thousand and confirm. costs 250 pesos.

@MustacheScienceWith regard to ATM fees, etc. Does anyone here ever consider a Charles Schwab Checking Account?  At least for Americans.Thank you for pointing that out. I was aware of the outfit but did not realise that overseas ATM charges are refunded. I'm with Chase UK (part of the US owned JP Morgan Chase) They don't charge transaction charges  but I do get hit on the ATM charges.Moreover I was not aware that Brits could apply for the card - they can.Even though I'm not resident in the Philippines I will apply for this card next week after talking with the London office.   

I think us Brits could just transfer sufficient funds into the Charles Schwab account a week or so before we leave the country and take a second card just for emergency use. I may consider doing the same. I currently bank with the RBS but also have an ISA with the Halifax Bank and their Clarity Credit Card. Like you I do get stung for the ATM fees overseas but not for transaction charges.    -@Lotus Eater

-@Cherryann01

Just checked with Charles Schwab London office. You have to be an American based account holder to benefit from the refund of ATM charges. You can apply for a standard debit card which would be linked to your share trading account in the UK.

However CS do have plans to offer the full US service in the UK but the guy (who was most helpful) could not go into anymore detail. So watch this space. Will update you by PM as and when :)

@Enzyte Bob. I believe you can get a rotor and field kit upgrade that to 240vac.