CRNM / Digital Nomad Visa

Questions to those who have a Brazil digital nomad visa:

1. How long is the CRNM valid for?
  2. If your digital nomad visa expires is the CRNM no longer valid?
  3. Can you use the CRNM to open bank accounts, etc?
  4. If the digital nomad visa expires, do they close your bank account?

Hi ds0007

I am in Brasil on a Digital Nomad Visa (VITEM XIV).

The term of the Temporary Residence is 12 months with a 12 month extension possible on application.

Upon entering Brasil with your Visa - you attend at the Federal Police who take your biometrics and issue you with a CRNM valid for 12 months from the date of entry to Brasil (not the date the visa was granted).

The CRNM is your ticket to normal life - bank account, PIX transfers, local currency credit/debit card, health care at public hospitals etc etc - just like a Brasiliero!!

I have just had my 12 month extension granted with it being published in the Gazette of the Union - you go through the process on the MigranteWeb website ... then attend the Federal Police once again to have a new CRNM card produced for the new 12 month term.

I don't know about bank account cancellations at the expiry of the term - it sounds plausable ... but this is Brasil ... so who knows!!

Hope this helps.

@MikeInRio

Hey Mike, how far before your expiry did you apply for your extension? and did they take your passport?

Did you end up opening a bank accout? I am in a similar situation (retirement visa, just got my CRNM), and I haven't decided yet which bank account i should get. Here in Bahia, Bradesco is almost everywhere, including in the village where I'm staying, so naturally I tend towards Bradesco. What do you think?

Hi ds0007
I am in Brasil on a Digital Nomad Visa (VITEM XIV).
The term of the Temporary Residence is 12 months with a 12 month extension possible on application.
Upon entering Brasil with your Visa - you attend at the Federal Police who take your biometrics and issue you with a CRNM valid for 12 months from the date of entry to Brasil (not the date the visa was granted).
The CRNM is your ticket to normal life - bank account, PIX transfers, local currency credit/debit card, health care at public hospitals etc etc - just like a Brasiliero!!
I have just had my 12 month extension granted with it being published in the Gazette of the Union - you go through the process on the MigranteWeb website ... then attend the Federal Police once again to have a new CRNM card produced for the new 12 month term.
I don't know about bank account cancellations at the expiry of the term - it sounds plausable ... but this is Brasil ... so who knows!!

Hope this helps.

-@MikeInRio

I just received my CRNM card last week, and even though my visa (retirement) is only for 12 months, the CRNM has an expiry date of september '25, eg 24 months since my arrival. I wonder if what means if I renew my visa immediately after expiration…will I still have to go to the federal police to register again, or can I just keep my CRNM card for another year and don't have to bother until the card is expired (September 2025)?

12/13/23 I just received my CRNM card last week, and even though my visa (retirement) is only for 12 months, the CRNM has an expiry date of september '25, eg 24 months since my arrival. I wonder if what means if I renew my visa immediately after expiration…will I still have to go to the federal police to register again, or can I just keep my CRNM card for another year and don't have to bother until the card is expired (September 2025)?

-@Kurterino

The second.  You've been given two years.  See "Parágrafo Único" of Resolução Normativa No. 40:

https://www.in.gov.br/en/web/dou/-/reso … -229901650

12/13/23 I just received my CRNM card last week, and even though my visa (retirement) is only for 12 months, the CRNM has an expiry date of september '25, eg 24 months since my arrival. I wonder if what means if I renew my visa immediately after expiration…will I still have to go to the federal police to register again, or can I just keep my CRNM card for another year and don't have to bother until the card is expired (September 2025)?         -@Kurterino

The second.  You've been given two years.  See "Parágrafo Único" of Resolução Normativa No. 40:

https://www.in.gov.br/en/web/dou/-/reso … -229901650-@abthree

But i will still need to renew my visa after one year,  correct?

12/15/23 But i will still need to renew my visa after one year,  correct?

-@Kurterino

I don't think so.  For the period of your CRNM's validity, you're a legal resident of Brazil, and should be able to enter and leave the country at will on just your passport and your CRNM.

The consular visa let you enter the country to complete the residency process with the Federal Police.   Now that you've done that, the visa has served its purpose. As your CRNM  nears expiration, you'll renew your Authorization for Residency with the PF.

I suppose that if you let your CRNM expire while you're out of Brazil you'll need to get a new visa from a consulate to return,  but otherwise the Foreign Ministry is out of the picture.

@sshearing At Policia Federal, they advise you to apply within the last 90 days before expiry.

As your new residence permit will be valid for another year most probably from the date it was officially accepted and published at DOU (and not a one-year extension from the date of your current Crnm) applying too early might be a bit of disadvantage on counting days.

i found somewhere close to last 60 days a good timing, not too early but still allowing enough time for possible delays.

You get to keep your passport all times with you, just bring the original and a copy of it to the policia federal appointment.

@rocade thanks for thw reply! my issue is .. is that i am leaving brazil to go back to the UK on the 15th of august and my visa runs out while i am away on thw 20th of sept, i am concerned i wont be let back in 🫣

@sshearing Sorry, I just got this post. FYI I was not let back in thru Sao Paulo with two days left on my Visa. It took my Brazilian wife negotiating and sending documents from our home in Northeastern Brazil. The final part was a high-ranking official in Brasilia on Easter weekend who finally gave it the okay after several hours.

Either have a Plan B. or do not risk it.

As I always say it is not what you read or heard but the final decision as by the 250lb. 6ft. Customs Agent blocking your path and not letting you in.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@sshearing As you have plenty of time maybe you can try to apply early - there was someone in the forum who applied 4 months before expiry.

In case you couldn't sort it out before you leave:

You would probably not have a big problem entering back: You have been a resident already, your residence has expired and you are coming back as a tourist

But then you'd have to apply for a new residence permit  before your tourist stay is over, which means you'll need a few more documents than you would for a renewal application, such as apostilled birth certificate and apostilled background check from the uk.

The current time for the applications to be reviewed initially is 7 to 8 weeks.  If there are any issues where you need to submit additional documents, that is currently taking 4-7 days more after submission then allow a week for approval and publication in the DOU.  I tried to have my application expedited by sending an email and was told I needed to be patient and just wait as the processing is delayed. 

@californiainbrazil

Thanks California, thats really helpful.

@rocade

thats what i am hoping, i should be able to able to show the preliminary documents if not a fully authorised visa

@sshearing Don' forget my advice. I have been waiting 7 months.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

When is the residency renewal official -- (a) the day the approval is published in the DOU or (b) when I go pay the GRU fee and go to the Federal Police for the protocol number and CRNM renewal?  Also, how long do I have to go tot the Federal Police after the renewal is published in the DOU?

@californiainbrazil The official renewal date (the new date on the CRNM card) in my experience has always been counted from the DOU publish date, even though I got the perception that the officer processing your documents in person at policia federal may have some flexibility on this.

I don't know the exact official/legal answer for your last question; but after DOU, I would pay the GRU asap and make the police appointment for a date no later than 30 days, just in case - similar to the 30 days limit on uploading new documents when requested.