In Lae

Have just taken up a new job in Lae,interesting place, can anyone tell me any information to settle into the community?

Hi and welcome to the forum PGR65!

Maybe you could tell a little more about yourself.
What are you doing there and what are your first impressions ?

Regards
Armand

Likewise, I bit more information may help us guide you.
Firstly, I don't think it would be wise to accept a job here until you have
at least visited here first.
There are rosy pictures painted by recruiters and companies, that while not
actually untrue, do not give the full picture.
Lae is or should I say,could be a beautiful place. But I have found it very hard
to live in. There is not a lot to do apart from work and safety need to be always on your mind.
Also, many ex pats are attracted by what seems to be a great salary. Be warned, PNG has a very
high personnel income tax.
You may find that a lower salary at home, is in fact net better than here in PNG.
Having said that, PNG has been good for me over many years. I am a contractor that allows me to FIFO on a 4x2 basis (4 weeks on 2 weeks off). I can therefore minimise my tax.
I have a great group of ex pat friends.
Gaining friends is a little difficult as the ex pats are very transient and not many stay for long.

This is just my view, no doubt others will have different experiences.
A word of warning,  Make sure that this is really what you want BEFORE you commit to coming here.

[Moderated: invalid link]
I'm in POM there's no way I'll fly to Lae, our company use an armed security company to take us to and from the airport.  Apart from anything else you have never seen pot holes until you get to Lae there like moon creaters.