Officially Moving Back To Da Nang

After a search that began with this thread (link), my Vietnamese wife and I finally found exactly what we needed:

Modern 3-Bedroom 4-bathroom 3-level house with partial furniture and air inverters (modern air conditioning) and huge kitchen, in the same neighborhood where I survived monsoon season from November 2018 thru January 2019.

₫10,000,000 VNĐ per month on 1 year contract, 1 month deposit, first 6 months rent paid in advance; very common for 1 year leases in this town for both locals & foreigners.

We didn't attempt to negotiate those terms as we like paying ahead & not worrying about rent for a bit.

I grew up near the shores (between the bay & the ocean) in San Diego, so sun or rain, I like to be near the water, and I'd much rather be living here in the Thanh Khê Tây neighborhood, Thanh Khê District (Google Maps link) than at Mỹ Khê Beach (where I first swam in 1972) & the An Thường tourist ghetto where I've already lived a few different times.

The cost of living is much more reasonable here at the bay (₫10,000 bánh mì & cokes are the norm) with virtually zero English signage...and frankly, I didn't come back to Vietnam to regularly socialize with foreign tourists.

I picked this part of the bay shore line because when you move east and closer to the mouth of the Hàn River, the bay water becomes decidedly murkier.

The more you head Northwest, the bay water becomes even more pristine, but this location gives better access to the city without living in most crowded and busiest parts.

We definitely got lucky on the place we found because we discovered that when you are seriously looking for a house outside of the tourist areas here, it's quite common to find 3 or 4 bedroom places listed between ₫8 and ₫12 million VNĐ, but they end up having no air conditioning installed and usually less than suitable furniture (frequently one or more bedrooms won't have a bed) with smaller kitchens and over-crowded neighborhoods.

The Vietnamese owner of our property lives in the United States, and she's been having very poor luck keeping any good tenants.

She's really happy to know that it's going to be an American and a Vietnamese woman living here and she's especially thrilled that it might be for the next 4 years while our daughters study at the University.

She is agreeing to support us with one additional new air conditioner in the one room that was lacking it.

She's even holding the place for us until October 1st, something that would have been unthinkable in the foreigner friendly areas.

So if someone is reading this and hopes to find something similar in this city in the foreigner-friendly neighborhoods, it's possible to find it, but the price will likely be in the ₫14 - ₫22 million range.

Nice 2 bedroom apartments are easier to locate, the better ones running between about ₫12 to ₫18 million, but you can definitely find a no-frills place for ₫8 to ₫10 million and studios & small 1 bedrooms from about ₫6 to 8 million.

If you can live without air conditioning or an elevator you could even get something liveable for about ₫5 million.

it's also possible to deal directly with landlords if you post in Tiếng Việt on Vietnamese Face.book group pages, but we found this place through a listing on an agent's profile, and we don't have any qualms about having to pay 1 million more than it might have been without him.

Good luck to anybody who is searching in this city for long-term accommodations.

@OceanBeach92107 Great post mate, and excellent information. give me a Vietnamese neighborhood any day close to the ocean.

My Vietnamese lady and her family are off to Nha Trang next week for a family gathering. I am hoping that they will be interested in relocating from VT to Da Nang which is closer to their hometown and family.

@OceanBeach92107 Great post mate, and excellent information. give me a Vietnamese neighborhood any day close to the ocean.
My Vietnamese lady and her family are off to Nha Trang next week for a family gathering. I am hoping that they will be interested in relocating from VT to Da Nang which is closer to their hometown and family.
-@Safepeter

I'm fortunate that I like the DN Bay area so much, because my wife really doesn't want to live close to the ocean during the winter months.

I've convinced her that being about 700 meters from the waterfront of the bay isn't nearly as bad as living through a typhoon on An Thượng 1, as we did last September.

Based on my wife's personal preferences, I think I've discovered why more Vietnamese people don't want to move to Đà Nẵng, especially those that live in Vũng Tàu:

The weather.

Rainy season in VT is warm & tolerable compared to monsoon season in Đà Nẵng, which is relatively colder and more miserable.

At least that's the main reason my wife would prefer we return to where we met in V.T., IF it were not for her daughters attending University in Đà Nẵng.

So in 4 years we could easily end up in VT again, if I'm able to decipher her signals, as she would never come right out and ask me to do that.

Meanwhile, it would be great to have you as a neighbor by the bay.

Thinking a good thought for you and your goal...

😎

🙏

OB, if you are going to be there for four years why wouldn't you and the missus buy a place?  Prices are back down quite a bit from the heyday.  You could own it fo four years and by then things should have recovered and you would be in a likely very positive situation.

OB, if you are going to be there for four years why wouldn't you and the missus buy a place? Prices are back down quite a bit from the heyday. You could own it fo four years and by then things should have recovered and you would be in a likely very positive situation.
-@SteinNebraska

That's actually a great idea Stein, except we have relatively scarce combined savings ( ‹ ₫200 mil) for DP.

We haven't seriously looked into financing, so I'm ignorant on that subject.

We could maybe swing a ₫50 to ₫60 million monthly house payment.

We'd prefer to buy land in Quảng Ngãi and build our own, but that is something we see as possible after the twins graduate.

Thoughts?

Rainy season in VT is warm & tolerable compared to monsoon season in Đà Nẵng, which is relatively colder and more miserable.

At least that's the main reason my wife would prefer we return to where we met in V.T., IF it were not for her daughters attending University in Đà Nẵng.

So in 4 years we could easily end up in VT again, if I'm able to decipher her signals, as she would never come right out and ask me to do that.

😎
🙏
-@OceanBeach92107

The rainy season in Vt is tolerable (a private yard, a cake of soap, rain = fresh water shower), but the traffic is fast becoming intolerable.

Friday through Monday, coaches, limousines, and private vehicles, and bikes are turning VT into a little HCMC.

By Saturday morning, most ATMs are empty, shopping in the markets and LotteMart is a disaster, and forget about Nguyen Cong Tru (fish market street).

Last Suday night we rode down Phan Chu Trinh only to find that traffic was backed up from Vo Thi Sau to almost the western end of Phan Chu Trinh.

The streets are not wide enough for coaches or limousines going in opposite directions or parked on the roadside. The noise of horns is becoming oppressive.

The area you are moving to in Danang will have a lee from the east coast and should be okay in a typhoon. Can't do much about the temperature of the rain though.

Coming from far north Australia, cyclones become a norm after you lived through one or two.

😎
🙏
-@OceanBeach92107
The rainy season in Vt is tolerable (a private yard, a cake of soap, rain = fresh water shower), but the traffic is fast becoming intolerable.

Friday through Monday, coaches, limousines, and private vehicles, and bikes are turning VT into a little HCMC.

By Saturday morning, most ATMs are empty, shopping in the markets and LotteMart is a disaster, and forget about Nguyen Cong Tru (fish market street).

Last Suday night we rode down Phan Chu Trinh only to find that traffic was backed up from Vo Thi Sau to almost the western end of Phan Chu Trinh.

The streets are not wide enough for coaches or limousines going in opposite directions or parked on the roadside. The noise of horns is becoming oppressive.

The area you are moving to in Danang will have a lee from the east coast and should be okay in a typhoon. Can't do much about the temperature of the rain though.

Coming from far north Australia, cyclones become a norm after you lived through one or two.
-@Safepeter

I'm bookmarking your post for the next time my wife starts talking about wanting to move to VT...

😁

@OceanBeach921071f606.svg

OB, if you are going to be there for four years why wouldn't you and the missus buy a place? Prices are back down quite a bit from the heyday. You could own it fo four years and by then things should have recovered and you would be in a likely very positive situation.
-@SteinNebraska

That's actually a great idea Stein, except we have relatively scarce combined savings ( ‹ ₫200 mil) for DP.

We'd prefer to buy land in Quảng Ngãi and build our own, but that is something we see as possible after the twins graduate.

Thoughts?
-@OceanBeach92107

I didn't know your situation.  Banks there are tough.  You would be very hard pressed to find a bank that would loan more than 50% of the value.  Some apartments they will go as high as 70% loan but that's about it.  It's not like the US where you can buy for virtually nothing down if you want.  The rates are being forced back down by the government now - I just saw an article where the government asked the banks to lower the rates another 1.5% but I suspect they are still close to 10% interest.  That's another thing there-they don't have fixed rates when you borrow.  They can raise the interest rate during the loan period.  I personally would never borrow more than 30% of the total purchase price in Vietnam.

-@SteinNebraska

Thoughts?
-@OceanBeach92107
I didn't know your situation. Banks there are tough. You would be very hard pressed to find a bank that would loan more than 50% of the value. Some apartments they will go as high as 70% loan but that's about it. It's not like the US where you can buy for virtually nothing down if you want. The rates are being forced back down by the government now - I just saw an article where the government asked the banks to lower the rates another 1.5% but I suspect they are still close to 10% interest. That's another thing there-they don't have fixed rates when you borrow. They can raise the interest rate during the loan period. I personally would never borrow more than 30% of the total purchase price in Vietnam.
-@SteinNebraska

I actually do appreciate you confirming my worst suspicions.

Yeah, if I were to return to the USA right now, I could use my full VA loan benefit and get a zero down loan without any need for mortgage insurance.

I'd probably never pay the whole thing off on a 30-year loan but it would give me stability in my own house controlling whatever equity might develop.

When are you coming back?

When are you coming back?
-@OceanBeach92107

Visiting?  I was there for a couple of weeks last month.  I still come back every three months or so.  Permanently?  I don't think we are.  Now that we have a baby due next month my wife wants to stay in US.  We won't be able to "winter" in Vietnam as eventually our son will need to go to school.  I offered to move back full time but she wants him to go to school here.  We have two years left in high school for our other daughter and then it looks like we are moving to the Houston TX suburbs.  Get back to warmer winters, an hour to the coast, better seafood for her, only two legs to Vietnam instead of three, better fishing for me in retirement, much lower taxes than Nebraska.

It looks like we are moving to the Houston TX suburbs. Get back to warmer winters, an hour to the coast, better seafood for her, only two legs to Vietnam instead of three, better fishing for me in retirement, much lower taxes than Nebraska. -@SteinNebraska

Sounds like a great plan.

Hopefully you'll keep checking in here.

We can always use your help with leech patrol... 😉

@OceanBeach92107

Sorry, I just came accross this post.  I am returning to Việt Nam next month to look for long-term rentals.  I am familiar with most of the wards in the Sơn Trà district, so I am asking your advice on which wards (besides Thanh Khê Tây) do you  recommend?

Thanks

Mark

@OceanBeach92107
Sorry, I just came accross this post.  I am returning to Việt Nam next month to look for long-term rentals.  I am familiar with most of the wards in the Sơn Trà district, so I am asking your advice on which wards (besides Thanh Khê Tây) do you  recommend?
Thanks
Mark

-@markbruns

Give me a little more to work with, Mark.

What's important to you?

@OceanBeach92107

Just read through this thread and learned a lot. I hope it is OK to jump in as it looks like the person you responded to dropped out of the conversation.

My wife and I are an older couple (Canadian) who are planning to spend 90 days in Vietnam this coming winter using Danang as our base. We have reserved a hotel for the last 5 days of November hoping that will give us enough time to find a condo for December, January and February until our visa expires as 3 months is too long for hotel living.

I saw from one of your posts that you used an agency to find your house and I am wondering if you can offer any advice or information on how that works and if you would recommend a particular agency or warn against any others.

We have spent some time in Vietnam (Hanoi) but just a few weeks so both Danang and renting a condo will be something new for us. Any information would be appreciated & thanks in advance.

David

I'd probably never pay the whole thing off on a 30-year loan but it would give me stability in my own house controlling whatever equity might develop.

-@OceanBeach92107

Just between the two of us 1f600.svgdo you really plan to be alive 30 years from now?  Even on my most optimistic days, thats a bit too long.