Dog walks Essaouira

Hi we are planning on retiring to Essouirra, at the moment we are collecting info on the area and also on what we would need to do to retire there, we then hope to have a holiday there next year and make a final decision then. One of the more general questions I'd like to ask is about pets as we would be bringing our two dogs with us, is it ok to walk your dogs on a lead in the town or on the beach or are there certain areas designated for dog walking etc,are there good walking trails to take your dog on? Which areas are best to live if you have dogs? Thanks in advance any information is much appreciated.🥰

@Souix

I brought my dogs from U.K.

no issues with dogs walking on leads in town and without on beaches

medina has many cats especially night

and many strays are grouped sometimes

but the dogs are often captured rather abruptly and pounded

collar to show they are not strays

vets are not too common

one guy all eu people will go to but not the best and more interested in testing and charging through illimination

there's others who are less expensive in town

@York City

dogs are treated nicer in all areas of Essaouira

compared to other places where dogs are seen as unclean

mentality has and is changing especially younger Moroccans older ones more apprehensive but kind

@Souix Have you visited the area before? I suggest going there during winter and summer to see if that is where you'd like to live. Essaouira is in the cold side compared to other cities in Morocco, even during the summer time.

@Souix it is perfectly ok to walk your dogs on a lead in the town or on the beach in Essaouira. Some restaurants will look down in that, mostly because they are too small. But there is Ocean Vagabond or Beach & Friend where you always see pet dogs. They're not all necessarily on leashes either.

As for the best areas to live would probably be in Dour L'arab, Ghazoua or even Ounagha, in the outskirts of Essaouira where you can get a small house with a yard space for your dog.

@Souix

Rabat, Casablanca, or Agadir/ Tangiers.

@E Abreu Hi I havent but my husband has. To be honest we are looking for somewhere that does have some cooler months as we have lived in the heat of middle east & asia for a long time now,  so a few cooler months will be welcomed😊. Thanks for your advice tho.

@York City Good to know.Thank you

@York City Thanks thats all good to know. Now Looking more forward to our visit next year.😊