Family reunion and SEF appointment

Hello guys!

I will be moving to Portugal with my family and have a question. I am a Norwegian and will do my residence permit first and then I will make a Family reunion for my family. I've heard that it's sometimes possible to make my residence permit before 3 months and I will try that.

I am then wondering if I can schedule an appointment with SEF for the Family reunion right after I have received my residence permit or do I have to wait 3 months before making the appointment?

Best regards,

Marius

Hi Marius,

According to what is written here, you can apply to SEF and within 30 days after the 3 months of your family's stay in Portugal.

This is done by prior appointment. I understand your question, if I were you, I might do it before the 3 months so as not to let this deadline expire, as the appointments can be difficult to make, according to feedbacks given here by other members.

https://www.sef.pt/pt/Pages/conteudo-de … D=63#p_id3

Quando posso requerer?

No prazo de 30 dias após decorridos três meses da entrada no território nacional, mediante agendamento prévio.

Regards

@JohnnyPT Thanks! Just to make sure I understood correctly: you advise me to schedule the SEF appointment as soon as I have my residence permit? It is not possible to try and schedule before I arrive in Portugal, right?

First you should get your CRUE certificate (*). Then you should register on the SEF website:

https://www.sef.pt/en/Pages/registo.aspx

and try to make that appointment for family reunification in the first or second month of stay, and see if you can. Try to make an appointment in the first days of the month, it seems that they open slots at the beginning of each month for that kind of appointments in that same month. I don't know much more than that...

(*) CRUE - Registration Certificate for Citizens of the EU/EEA/Switzerland

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 33#5088039

(Post #7)

@JohnnyPT Understood. Thanks for the help my friend 🤗

@Yoyagi Hi!

You do not need a resident permit. You need a CRUE (EU citizen registration certificate. You can request it from day 1 as long as you have established a local address. You just need to go to your local city council and request it. It takes a few minutes. After that, you can schedule an appointment at SEF for your family, but appointment's slots only open in quarters and there is an huge delay. Be prepared to wait a few months to an appointment. [***]

Moderated by Bhavna 9 months ago
Reason : Promoting your own services is not allowed on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Nia Queiroz Very helpful Nia. Thank you! Will go right ahead and try to make the appointment with SEF and hope I will be able to do it before our 90 day visas run out 🤞🏻

Will certainly come back with more questions. Thank you.

Best regards,

Marius

We and our lawyer have been trying for a reunification appointment since October.

@seasunhere Wow, a very long waiting time! Are your family together with you in Portugal?

Hello everyone

I am still waiting for an to get an appointment for a family reunification since Mars 2022,

My lawyer just today said that he is keeping vigilant but the SEF isn't yet ready to open appointment for family reunification.

This is ridiculous, how a retired man can live for such Long time without his wife!

We don't know what to do?

We bought a home and moved perminately in August of 2022. I received my resident permit and wife being here, we have been trying to schedule reunification appointment since then. Even with lawyers assistance  no appointments till SEF gets organized.

I starting to think filing for asylum is a easier way to get processed by SEF!

SEF will be extinguished in October this year. Things may get better after that.....

In the meantime, why don't you make a complaint to the European Court of Justice?

https://commission.europa.eu/about-euro … u-level_en

We bought a home and moved perminately in August of 2022. I received my resident permit and wife being here, we have been trying to schedule reunification appointment since then. Even with lawyers assistance no appointments till SEF gets organized.
I starting to think filing for asylum is a easier way to get processed by SEF!
-@seasunhere

Asylum would be a waste of time as you are from America.

Hello everyone.

We are in the same situation, we brought a house but till now my hasn't got lucky to get her family reunification processed.

The lawyer is saying just to wait but my wife is actually here in Portugal illegally cos her initial shenguen visa already expired.

Any proposition most welcome.

Thanks

@Hafidoux it's not illegal as Portugal extended the time for people who is waiting for appointments or to start the family reunification process until Dec 31 2023. I don't know the law number or name, maybe someone here knows better and can tell us.

@mariacmorenovarela

Thanks so much for this.

Maybe someone could extend and give more info about the law number just to get peace of mind .

Again Thank you maria.

https://imigrante.sef.pt/covid-19/faqs/ … ddc59-b06a

In accordance with Decree-Law no. 90/2022, of 30 December, documents and visas relating to stay in national territory, whose validity expires from the date of entry into force of this Decree-Law or in the 15 days immediately preceding, are accepted, under the same terms, until 31 December 2023.

The documents referred to in the previous paragraph shall continue to be accepted, under the same terms, after 31 December 2023, provided that the holder proves that he/she has already scheduled the respective renewal.

Decreto-Lei n.º 90/2022, de 30 de dezembro

https://files.dre.pt/1s/2022/12/25100/0001300015.pdf

@JohnnyPT Thank you Johnny

@johnny

Thanks for your response and the clarification,

we understand now that this decree doesn't apply to us since it does concern the renewal of a permit

Our case is different because we are waiting for a first appointment to apply for family reunification.

@JohnnyPT

if husband is on resident visa and non EU and wife is being reunified with (and she id EU), can we use CRUE?

@Hafidoux

we are on the same situation.

The difference is I am EU citizen and my husband is not. He has the resident visa. His SEF appointment is on September 4th.

(My husband has EU grandparents, but hasn't proceeded to get his passport, so not sure CRUE will apply).

Do you have any more progress or clarity?

Warm regards,

Milena

@JohnnyPT
if husband is on resident visa and non EU and wife is being reunified with (and she id EU), can we use CRUE?
-@milenadaley

Hi Milena,

CRUE is for you as EU citizen, for your husband it's another way (SEF appointment):

CRUE

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 33#5088039

(Post #7)

Residence Card for third-country nationals who are family members of EU/EEA/Switzerland nationals

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 33#5104571

(Post #9)

@JohnnyPT

thank you for the quick reply!

So, as a wife (and EU citizen), seeking to reunify with D7 resident visa (non EU citizen), is there benefit for me to apply for the CRUE? Would it help with the family reunification and/or establishing that I am here (I live here, we also purchased a house)…

Both of us are currently in portugal with his D7 (I just got in with my EU id)… We arrived at the beginning of August.

thanks fir sharing your thoughts and experience!

@milenadaley,

If you have citizenship from one of EU countries, you don't need a family reunification visa for yourself. All you need to do is apply for a CRUE. Find out more about this when your husband goes to SEF in September.

@JohnnyPT thank you. We talked to the municipality yesterday and they confirmed snd explained what we need.

So, I will apply for CRUE.

Not sure yet if it is best for my husband to apply for his PR certificate through EU spouse or  to finish his D7 application. D7 seems to allow him the NHR tax advantage. So, probably it is best for him.

Also, as CRUE holder, do I have any limitations compared to a D7 spouse with permanent residence tied to a D7 holder? (i.e healthcare, taxes, working as self employed or, if I chose to, for any company)?

He can apply for NHR status with a D7 visa or with a certificate through EU spouse.

Most EU citizens living in Portugal have this NHR status.

There are no limitations. The rights of a CRUE holder are identical to those of a Portuguese citizen.

@JohnnyPT Thank you for clarifying!

Hello everyone

We just heard that the appointments for family reunification have resumed.

Can anyone confirm the information.

We've been waiting for our solicitor to book for us an appointment for the last 2 years without success. He is saying that the SEF hasn't opened yet for family reunification.

The solicitor is fully paid in advance.

Please advise thanks.

Get your money back and change lawyer and NEVER pay in full in advance!

@laisadora31.

i need an answer to my question and not what I should do with my lawyer ok?.

@Hafidoux,

That's true. They opened up slots for family reunification on 14 September, but I think they've already run out. SEF is being restructured and will create a new agency in October. Let's hope things get better...

@JohnnyPT

Thanks Johnny,

That's the kind of answer people are after.

Obrigado.

@Hafidoux Then you should not of mention that the lawyer is paid in advance...and why say it at any rate.

If you want more  answers...you should be more restrained in your answer.

Have a nice day

@seasunhere any luck?

After 6 months or so, I've just received a communication asking for a number of different types of evidence to support my Re-Unification request .

Joint Bank accounts info, official communications to address , monthly statements of rent or mortgage in joint names.  In my case, to go back 2 years before Brexit Withdrawal date 31/12/20.

No mention of interview, though.

Hi has anyone got any new and current day updates on the status of getting an appointment with a reunification request please?  Thanks

Hi has anyone got any new and current day updates on the status of getting an appointment with a reunification request please?  Thanks       -@monners7

Hi @monners7,

Some info here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 75#5794435

@JohnnyPT Thank you v much!

Please see my earlier post reply on 23/10/23 above.

As yet, no response after I emailed back all the evidence I could (easily) muster going back to 2017.

It wasn't what was asked for but I feel the evidence I returned was even more pertinent and logical than their ask.

I mean, who keeps 5+ years of monthly joint bank statements?

I'm not even in Portugal to go to the bank to pay for a history of paper ones to then scan and email over.

Absurd.

Thinking about it though, SEF (or their replacement) won't know that my partner or myself are not in Portugal until January, however, don't they now have to make a relatively early decision as, upon the directive we've been given, my partner can only reside in Portugal whilst our application is being considered, and even then, only until 31/12/23.

That's not a lot of time left to get cracking - or extend (once again?) the period of time being allowed to remain without a final decision .

And ..if the answer is no, surely there is an appeal process which may well take up to 25 years if past experiences are anything to go by.

Hello. There are no slots for now for article 15, family reunification.

Does anybody know if my parents can still stay in Portugal (more than 90 days 30 days) while we are trying to sign in for an apointment? Or if they don't leave Schengen zone, they will be penalized? What to do if we are here for the apointment and there are no slots?

Thank you.