Freelance sales opportunities to work in Brazil

Hi guys,

I'm a UK citizen looking to work over in Rio de Janiero where my partner lives, whilst studying on a student visa. My profession is within Sales/Business Development and recruitment, and I'm looking into contract work due to the flexibility.

I wondered if anyone has experience of businesses that employ UK nationals for a set up like this?

Many thanks,

Sam.

05/30/23 Welcome, Sam. If that's your plan, you're looking at the wrong visa. It's illegal to work in Brazil on a student visa, regardless of where the work is or where the worker is paid. Anyone resident in Brazil and earning an income is subject to income tax, which you probably won't want to file because it will expose the illegal work, so then you'll have TWO crimes to juggle.

It's totally unnecessary. If you and your partner qualify for a Family Reunion visa (VITEM XI), then you'll be a legal resident with no restrictions. If that's not available to you yet, it sounds like you'd certainly qualify for a Digital Nomad visa (VITEM XIV) with your plans and skillset; holders are limited to foreign income only, but that fits for you anyway. Neither visa would prevent you from taking any courses you want to take.

There's just no reason to save up problems for yourself by being illegal when doing it right is just as easy.

Hi guys,
I'm a UK citizen looking to work over in Rio de Janiero where my partner lives, whilst studying on a student visa. My profession is within Sales/Business Development and recruitment, and I'm looking into contract work due to the flexibility.

I wondered if anyone has experience of businesses that employ UK nationals for a set up like this?

Many thanks,
Sam.
-@Samgill93

It's not just illegal, and can compromise your future permanency for issued Visas sake.. It also exposes you to the worst kind of employers you can find. 

Sales jobs in Brazil are mostly commission ones, unless you are gainfully employed, and get perks, like a company car.  The type of business that offer these gigs are some large or well established corporations. 

You can be some kind of peddler, but if caught in the net, you are going to have a lot of explaining to do for local authorities.  And while we do not have ICE programs like in the US, your local beat cop draws a paycheck from the State where it is stationed. 

And not to mention you will have some fierce competition ( Nigerians, Haitians, Arabs ). They will eat you alive.

Besides, Sales Jobs for an English Speaking person with little knowledge of Portuguese are just as rare as a Dodo Bird.   And it is not just language skills.  The way things are done here, you have to master a lot of other "Languages" to survive.  It's the Wild West out here. 

You need a gig to get by, learn how to code, and work for your British Employer. Stay indoors.   Avoid those call center gigs.  They are the pits, as far as the business they run. Here today, gone tomorrow.  Here and Abroad. That and the fact they underpay, and the rate of attrition is huge. 

You show up at anyone's door with no car, no company card, no credentials, no backers, the locals won''t care if you are a Britt. They willl dismiss you as a bum. They will take every cheap shot at your they can get away with it.

That and the fact anything the Britts or American sells, can get for less elsewhere.  You will need to have a racket so sweet, locals have no choice to take but yours.

Until then, you are dog meat.

Welcome to the Jungle.

@sprealestatebroker

Hi,

I think you've completely missed my point haha - I would be only looking to work for a US or UK business freelance, such as on platforms like Malt, Upwork etc.

With my experience and portfolio I pit myself against the average Joe anyday of the week, I wouldn't succumb to working in a call centre in Rio.

The purpose of this post was to ask about freelance platforms that employ sales consultants on a contractual basis.

There is no jungle and there's always a sensible solution, only if you make it out to be that way.

I'll take on board the point regarding the Visa's

@Samgill93

Hey, welcome firstly.

Secondly, I'd seriously listen regarding the VISA and illegally working here, it can reeeeally end up biting you in the behind if you are caught, especially when it comes to tax etc. If you are coming here on a student VISA, you'll likely be asked how you are funding your time here etc. and if you declare you are working freelance, it will be an issue as stated by abthree.

Personally, I'd look well in advance of moving here but I've not personally come across anything that specifically advertises for this arrangement to be honest. And to your point about using those freelance sites, I'd say finding work on a US/UK oriented version is your best option really (assuming you don't speak fluent portuguese and/or aren't legally allowed to work in Brazil).

Let me know if you have any questions I can try to answer for you

Your best bet is to freelance web development work abroad.  Once you have a grasp of it, you can even hire locals for the heavy lifting. 

in the old days of online smut, it meant, you , as a webmaster, was paid to redirect traffic to their websites, as an affiliate to their programs.  These days, not sure if it works, and quite frankly, it might not be your cup of tea for moral reasons. 

I still carry the AVN Directory from 2008, and I never used.. The whole binder is about 244 pages.   I assume probably 75% of the cats in this business are gone. 

Also, as a gripe of mine, most if not all Real Estate Portals in Brazil are lame duck. If you can improve upon the existing stuff, then it would be a blessing.  Commercial Real Estate is even worse! Nowhere close to the materials you see in the US ( Loopnet/Costar, and others ). 

Even Government portals  here are dogshit when it comes to functionality and bugs. If you manage to be a full stack developer, this place is a gold mine. You have to spend hours around them trying to figure them out, to do the most mundane tasks.

And don't let me getting started with  online Health Care. They have no idea what HIPAA is all about for Americans. You deal with a thousand islands silos of misinformation out here in the Plantation.

And seriously, if you look at most of anything Brazilians concot to make their websites enticing to foreigners.... There is a whole lot of nothing worth seeing.

Just don't waste your time trying to be another Gringo with a Camera portraying Life in Brazil. They are a dime a dozen, and all of them fall into the same commonplace.  They are pathetic. 

And yes, there might be a bunch of them teaching English.

There is a demand for it.  Low pay gigs, most if not all.  A daughter of an aquaintance of mine, who we did a few deals together, couldn't land a programming gig, out of College, is teaching English in one of those "Method Schools".  And she never set foot outside Brazil!!!!!

And never mind when it comes to pay rates, schools here plead poverty as an excuse to pay for one's worth.  And your self employed teaching gigs, you are bound to hit cancellations.  Brazilian upper middle class is full of people with a sense of self entitlement and little to no respect for people who service them.

The holes are everywhere to be patched. Why, after all I am telling you, you want a free lance sales gig in the land of cheapskates and exploiters of cheap labor is beyond me.   

Get your money from Home, find a niche, study the niche, and then set sail. You will need bankroll. 

Jesus Christ you don't half go off on a tangent!