Working as a pharmacist in Brazil

hi everyone. newbie here.
need some serious help with my plans to migrate to Brazil. there are different issues i wish to discuss and have queries about, but i'll begin with the one which is currently on my mind most: EMPLOYMENT.
i currently work as a pharmacist and would love doing the same thing even in Brazil. is there any kind of exam that i'll be required to pass? is it difficult to obtain employment in this field in Brazil?
i did some research and given the number of pharmacies i found listed in this directory http://www.drugdelivery.ca/xx-BR-19-A-x … rmacy.aspx, i wouldn't be surprised that i indeed find it difficult to get the same job over there.

anyone who has a clue about this, do advice me please.
thanks, take care people

Hi Dev35, I renamed your topic I hope one of our member will be able to help you

thx! :)

hi
Here you can find in detail regarding the pharmacists migrating to abroad.I tried it before , it is a really very good site.This helped me alot and i hope the same with you
pharmacistmigration.com
This  provide courses and services for qualified pharmacists wishing to migrate abroad. The site is full of useful resources about how to migrate and directs you to the best online services.

hi

i hope you had an experience after about 8 years and tell me about it and how it worked :)
i will be in brazil next year , im gonna be graduated from the  faculty of pharmacy this year
thanks in advance , hope you get this message

ysfzeinab wrote:

hi

i hope you had an experience after about 8 years and tell me about it and how it worked :)
i will be in brazil next year , im gonna be graduated from the  faculty of pharmacy this year
thanks in advance , hope you get this message

Hello,

First of all, in order to exercise any regulated profession in Brazil one needs to have their foreign diplomas recognized in Brazil through a process called "Revalidação". Essentially you must find a Brazilian university that offers the same course, submit your application, all of your academic records, etc., and pay the applicable fee. In most places this takes place only once each year. You should read the following topic thread for further information:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=177474

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

thank you :) it really helped me
but if you please what do you mean by it happens once each year ?

Most universities in Brazil only do the Revalidação once a year. You need to check with the specific university just when they do it.

Cheers,

Hi
Sir James!

I hope you are well. Thank you for being a nice volunteer to assist legal problems.
You already know me, I think, I am In Pakistan, married in Brazil and now in the process of visa. I got really scared when I listened about re-validation of educational documents, It really seems a huge bureaucratic process, but I think there is no way, If we want to continue life in Brazil professionally.

But I still want to find another way, Suppose ,
1. If I have VIPER, and I want to work in Oil, mining or Construction industry as a geologist , and for example, I am selected and got contracted. Do I need to re-validate my documents, if they are already legalized by embassy ? While the company is international and it just needs degrees ?

2. If I don't want to go through the huge process, I just have a VIPER, for instance, I want to get admission in USP in international course taught in English, see in the link:

http://www.unesp.br/portal#!/eng/news/u … ent-areas/

Would I need to re-validate all documents for getting admission same way?

3. If I didn't need, and I get job based on Brazilian degree, would I still need to re-validate my previous degrees?

4.. I have a degree of BS Geology, that is a four years professional degree program as in USA. I had read many times, that Brazil needs many workers in Petroleum industry for its recent discovery in offshore presalt ? and also,there were reports, that Brazil needs a million foreign workers in 2014-2015, as in link

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/r … 014-2015/#

Also, I had a big report of hays, according to it Brazil stood second to Japan and 3rd to none, for its labor or skill shortage? How do you see all this, kindly guide me. What are opportunities for me as fresh graduate geologist?

Thank you very much, once again

Regards
El Hasan

Hello El Hasan,

Yes, unfortunately any regulated profession (i.e. on which you need to be registered with a federal or state regulatory body) to exercise would require that your foreign degrees be validated in Brazil by a Brazilian university.

That applies to ALL regulated professions like, medical doctors, nurses, dentists, lawyers, engineers (of any kind), pharmacists, psychologists, geologists, etc., etc., etc.

Cheers,

Hello,
Sir James!

Thanks ,I had read many times, that Brazil needs many workers in Petroleum industry for its recent discovery in offshore presalt ? and also,there were reports, that Brazil needs a million foreign workers in 2014-2015, as in link

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/r … 014-2015/#

Also, I had a big report of hays, according to it Brazil stood second to Japan and 3rd to none, for its labor or skill shortage? How do you see all this, kindly guide me. What are opportunities for me as fresh graduate geologist?

Thank you very much, once again

Regards
El Hasan

I hate to be the one to break the bad news to you but, Brazil's economy has tanked because of dropping world oil prices, and government scandals.

The petroleum industry is letting employees go at an alarming rate. Brazil's unemployment rate is the highest that it has been in a decade.

The article you linked to can't be accessed, but if that's where you've gotten the information from that you are quoting I can tell you that it's all wrong, pure fiction.

Cheers,

Assalamolaikum. How are you I am pharmacist I want to move in Brazil 🇧🇷 and I want to register as a pharmacist In Brazil what should I do. Please tell me

I would like to know what would be the easiest way to screen or filter out what universities would except my credentials specifically--- university courses that I took from my College of Pharmacy I attended??

hocytek wrote:

I would like to know what would be the easiest way to screen or filter out what universities would except my credentials specifically--- university courses that I took from my College of Pharmacy I attended??

According to the rules laid out by the Federal Council of Pharmacy (Conselho Federal de Farmácia) on their website, you need to choose the Brazilian State in which you want to practice:  you will apply for authorization to the Regional Council of Pharmacy of that State.

There are many documentation requirements, but the most important one, and the one you seem to be asking about, is that your diploma and course of study need to be "revalidated" by a public university in Brazil with a similar course, and that revalidation must be signed off by the Rector (President) of the university that performs the revalidation.

So, prior to choosing a state, I would try to determine (1.) what public Faculties of Pharmacy in Brazil your School of Pharmacy has relationships with, or, failing that, (2.) what public universities in Brazil your university has relationships with.  Those are the schools that are most likely to revalidate your degree with the minimum of resistance, and so the states they're in should make up your short list.

The law appears to require that the revalidation be performed by a PUBLIC university.  There is a well-respected system of Catholic universities in Brazil; if your school has relationships with any of them, but not with any public universities, it MAY be possible to have them perform the revalidation.  You'd need to speak directly with them.  Aside from the Catholic universities and a very few others, private colleges have low prestige here, and its doubtful that a revalidation from one would be accepted, or even performed.

If you proceed, you'll be signing up for a long, involved process; but as a professional pharmacist, you can probably see the need for it.  Good luck!

I don't know how to thank you for the information.

Sincerely,

Dr. Hector Ortega Pharm D.

Yes, my compatriot. In Brazil it is difficult to find a good job today and before you get there and live in a definitive way, try to have a contract in your hands and then go to the opposite will have problems. I am a surgeon that I am living in Germany and never in 25 years I have much desire to return to Brazil forever, but due not to have found a good proposal still meeting here living the hope that one day I will be there forever. I would like to open a private clinic and gather other doctors from other specialties and thus give paid assistance to sick staff. But it seems like this is a good dream that will never come to life.
Even those who work in Brazil today live poorly because of the very low salary. I here have a family home transportation and employment guaranteed if I return to Brazil I will have to start over again and with many difficulties.

Well, Bob. I am a Doctor of Pharmacy ( pharmacist) and I am interested to go to Brazil and start my life over. I also know how to take x-rays and specialized to computerized tomography. Is the field for Radiography regulated? Do they have any institution/s that offer formal training for Radiologic Technologist? I am registered here in the USA---would they accept my credentials? What process would I have to go through to work as a Radiographer or Computerized tomographer?

Sign

Hector

You are specialized in a very regulated area. Make some searches on this forum or on internet. You need to re-validate your diploma in Brazil. This is a not a national revalidation but to be done in one university. This is a very long and painfull process (if possible). it means generally restart to study to pass in Brazil some part of the diploma that you don't have passed in your country (...supposedly). Sometimes people re-stared their whole studie in Brazil....clearly not manageable for long studies.
As someone said here, you best chance is to find if you origin University has any kind of relationship with a Brazilian university and try to obtain a revalidation through this channel. Or be part of an exchange of researchers in your field....difficult but sometimes easier than re-validate a diploma.

I agree with you. There are some individuals in Brazil---I assume--that there great in terms of laying out the diagram of the process of revalidation. I know it will be challenging but so was pharmacy school---4 years straight---not including pre-pharm. I went to a Catholic institution and I reached out to staff members at the university I attended. They did have, in the past, some relationships with some of the Pontifical Universities in San Paolo, Campinas, and Rio de Janerio. This just might facilitate the process but nothing is guaranteed. I  will still try to try some public universities in the state of Sergipe. Do you know of any that have pharmacy programs there?

Sincerely,

Hector

Sorry I don't know anyone in this area. But I know doctora, civil engeneer, lawers who went or try to go through this process.
An example of difficulty to validate diplomas in Brazil. My wife, Brazilian, did a MBA in London and when moving back to Brazil, she hasn't be able to validate her MBA as master in Brazil. Why ? Because a MBA in Brazil....is not actually a post-graduate diploma (yes I know, it is a still Master of Business Administraion). The fact that is a post-graduate  diploma in UK, ie a proper master doesn't change a thing. Complicated and stupid: yes.  it gives you an idea of difficulties you can expect.
Definitely, your best chance is to develop your network. You know the expression in Brazil. You need to have a high Q.I....Quem Indica. It means who you know, your network. It opens all the doors. It why it is so difficult at first for a foreigner to find a job here.

hocytek wrote:

I  will still try to try some public universities in the state of Sergipe. Do you know of any that have pharmacy programs there?

I used to live in Sergipe.  It's still my favorite state -- great choice, at least for quality of life.

The only public university in the state is the Universidade Federal de Sergipe.  The main campus is in the old colonial capital, São Cristóvão, with satellite campuses in Aracaju, Itabaiana, Larajeiras, and Lagarto.  From their website, it appears that they offer a bachelor's in Pharmacy at the São Cristóvão campus, but no post-graduate courses.

You are awesome. I don't have many friends but I could honestly state you are a great person.
I will try most definitely try to revalidate at some university. Plus, I also have 30+ experience working as a Radiographer and Computerized Tomographer, which I think might be easy for me to find a job in the field of Radiography while I try to revalidate my Doctoral of Pharmacy.

Thanks for your feedback--may God bless you.

Hector

Do you speak "Portuguese "? That will be your greatest challenge, just wondering. :up:

Yes good point. You will need at least Celpe-Bras test which is a portuguese test for foreigners.
Brazil is so different from Europe or North America...there are almost no foreigners. What I mean is: there is not a "comunity" of foreigners from your origin country big enough to support you and to make a living working within this comunity. 
We imagine Brazil very "multicultural", it is not.  0.5% of foreigners in Brazil. This is nothing, majority of foerigners being in SP indeed and from South-America.
Your clients will be all Brazilians.

Speak Spanish and English--learning Portuguese. I am at initial stages. Can read it and speak it at a minimum.

hocytek wrote:

Speak Spanish and English--learning Portuguese. I am at initial stages. Can read it and speak it at a minimum.

Bring your "A" game on the "Portuguese" and if you can get a contract paid in a differant currency, that's a bonus. Good Luck in your quest, if your determined success will come your way. The economy is tight here. I'm looking at Ampana (sp) State for maybe  a logistics/ shipping position who speaks "Americano/ inglês  (smh) take care ....

hi
thank you all for the great information, I recently moved to Brazil ( Curitiba), well I am a pharmacist want to revalidation my certificate, I just need someone to advise me if there any book in Brazil to study to pass the exam, for example; in the USA there is a book called "Comprehensive Pharmacy Review", anyone know a book like that in Portuguese

looking to work in Brazil is there a test I have to take in order to work as a pharmacist there in Brazil

I thought it just was a matter of revalidation.

Did you find anything out?

hocytek

This suggestion may be somewhat off the wall, but you don't seem to be having much luck, so an off the wall (or at least, outside the box) suggestion may help.
Brazil, like the US, has two kinds of pharmacies:   retail and compounding.   As in the US, compounding pharmacies are much rarer - there are probably one or two in Aracaju, however.   The Portuguese term is "Farmácia de Manipulação".  The pharmacist there might be more able and willing to answer your questions than a retail pharmacist.