Criminal background disqualifies.

What would disqualify an US citizen from obtaining a pensioners  visa.    If you have a link or knowledge of requirements I would be grateful for the help

thank you kim

@kosinakim65 ........D.U.I.s.......I know that sounds crazy when Costa Rica is a country of drunk drivers.

Hello everyoene,

Welcome to Expat.com @kosinakim65

@edwinemore, Do you mean that driving under the influence can be the reason a US citizen can be disqualified from obtaining a pensioner's visa?

Please share useful and proper information with links or more details.

Thank you,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Cheryl ........It sounds to me, you believe 'driving under the influence 'is not criminal offense.If you haven't gone through the expungement process to have this removed from your criminal record, they are not going to be in any hurry to process your residency.The rest of the requirements for the 'pensioners visa' are very easy to find !

@kosinakim65 .....Check out : Outliers legal......Even though this legal firm in Costa Rica went bankrupt and took off with all their clients money, they have a very good web page of information about everything.....

You can't enter some countries if you have a DUI, let alone get a visa to live there. What might be considered a "misdemeanor" in the States is often called something else in a different country and the offense is treated as if you did it in that country when determining admissibility.

@edwinemora Outlier got bankrupt and escaped just after I got my residence approved (they were good, though). I believe the new draconian laws have impacted their business. I've been waiting for a Dimex card for 3 months with no light at the end of tunnel and no possibility to contact anyone at immigration unless I physically appear in San Jose from Puerto Jimenez. Pura vida..

A good friend's application for pensionado temporary residency was approved a couple of years ago despite his having been convicted of drug smuggling back in the mid-1970s. So a lot depends on the circumstances.

Check out : Outliers legal......Even though this legal firm in Costa Rica went bankrupt and took off with all their clients money, they have a very good web page of information about everything.....
-@edwinemora

Did they actually take off with people's money? I read their website's notice which said they passed everything to another local similar law firm.

@Henrych .....Everything is so difficult here as you already know..The strangling bureaucracy is enough to do anyone under ! We are seeing people that have done everything right with attorneys,gone through all the right avenues to pull permits and then have their construction get shut down(Quepos-Dominical).All the sudden their property is declared a swamp and they are served a lawsuit by the environmental ministry.Go figure the corruption involved with this ! The extra money these victimized owners have to throw (more attorneys) to salvage their investments.

@edwinemora ..or they have to bribe the right person. Sometimes I wonder if the situation is the result of corruption, negligence or sheer stupidity.. i am looking for the piece of land and it is damn scary..

It's true that there can be a number of environmental obstacles associated with purchasing and building on virtually any parcel of land. The best defense is to engage an attorney who has been recommended by a local professional builder to give you a list of the possible requirements. Then, armed with that list, engage a second attorney to research the matter once again.

And, when you've been convinced that all the roadblocks have been removed, get it in writing. Don't let anyone pat your hand and tell you that everything is all right.

Outside Grecia, a guy bought a parcel of land that had two free-flowing springs on it. Together, they made the site unbuildable because the ground wouldn't support the weight of the house. And (are you ready?), even though the real estate agent had bribed the authorities to issue a building permit for the property, nothing existed in writing to explain how that came to be. (That is, no one issued a cash receipt for the bribe.)

Only after the house was well under construction did an honest official see what had happened and condemned the project. It's still never been resolved nor can it be. First, the site won't physically support the house. Second, to complete the construction, the two free-flowing springs would have to be dynamited which, in itself, would be against the law and maybe earn somebody a stay in the government "hotel".

Remember, in Costa Rica, water is a public asset. You cannot change it for any reason.

Check, double check, and then check again. Never take anyone's word for it.

@kosinakim65

I have a 2015 drug felony. Completed everything. Would this disqualify me ?

The only way to get a reliable answer is to submit an application for residency and see what happens. Esp

@kosinakim65

Hi,

Did you get any positive responses?  Curious.  I have a 1991marijuana felony in the US.  Otherwise perfect record. Seems crazy to be denied but have assumed fruitless to even apply.  Maybe not?

Thanks,

Scoty

Scott, the only way to know for sure is to apply and see what happens. I have a friend who spent a year in prison for importing a small amount of cocaine. His application for pensionado residency sailed right through.

My father taught me early on not to yell "Ouch!" 'til I've been hurt.

@daveandmarcia

Thank you so much.  Grey to hear.  I didn't do any prison time and just community service so I guess I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.